mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

so would this be just a Crossfire problem?
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

No, crossfire made tanks for several companies including Ninja.

I wonder what percentage of players actually know or care what the DOT markings mean? Hell, I have Co2 tanks marked "Never needs hydrotesting" because of an exemption filed by a specific company. The fun thing though is you actually have to go and look up the exemption number and see if that company cared enough to renew, otherwise it's invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Autotrigger?

CCM Fan
Of course my tank is under this permit...

Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
No, crossfire made tanks for several companies including Ninja.
just a clarification here; crossfire makes tanks for crossfire. the bottles ninja uses are manufactured by gayston, and have a different sp number.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
just a clarification here; crossfire makes tanks for crossfire. the bottles ninja uses are manufactured by gayston, and have a different sp number.
ninja tanks were made by crossfire in 2011 and 2012, including the breast cancer edition they had. Many other companies used Crossfire because they were making many custom wrapped tanks, special colors, etc.

any tank with SP 14339 is now considered an expired tank.

think of it like your drivers license, if it expires, you cannot drive.

if a resturant's health department permit expires, they cannot serve food.

if you're plates expire, the car cannot be driven

if a bar's liquor license expires, they cannot serve alcohol

If a doctor's medical license expires, they cannot practice.

As far as the SP not being a DOT number, all tanks are DOT-E or DOT-SP E is EXCEPTION SP is SPECIAL PERMIT. either can be revoked at any time, making every tank ever made instantly expired. They all must also be renewed regularly.

if a Special Permit, or Exemption goes invalid for any reason, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

for the person who pulled all the DOT information, well done. you were right when you said a field CAN fill the tank in the same way a field can fill an expired tank. Technically, there are loopholes around expired tanks.
p8ntballsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballsteve View Post

think of it like your drivers license, if it expires, you cannot drive.

if a resturant's health department permit expires, they cannot serve food.

if you're plates expire, the car cannot be driven

if a bar's liquor license expires, they cannot serve alcohol

If a doctor's medical license expires, they cannot practice.

None of those analogies even remotely make sense with what we have here. We have a manufactured item declared safe when it was made and without a safety recall, suddenly declared unsafe simply because a government fee wasn't paid. Your above analogies apply to services or actions requiring a level of competence or skill that must be maintained or kept current so it can adhere to current laws and regs.

I am having trouble thinking of a single other product deemed unfit to use not because of safety problems or recalls but simply because the manufacturer (which theoretically could be out of business, by the way) does not pay a government fee.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Armchair Snake Player

I have 2 Ninja tanks, both mfg'd in '09, one a 45/45, the other a 68/45. The 45/45 is affected (has the DOT number in question), the 68/45 is not. This is potentially a pretty big deal in the paintball community. It will be interesting to see how (or if) it is resolved.

EDIT: also somewhat humorous, I had both tanks re-hydro'd in October of last year, less than 3 months before the permit expired. The testing facility didn't mention anything about this possibility. I wouldn't have paid the $45 to hydro a tank for 3 months...

Last edited by Clanless; 02-15-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Clanless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Just curious but when did Crossfire switch from Carleton to manufacturing all bottles in house? I was under the assumption they bought the tanks from Carleton and then supplied their own labels and regulators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
That should maybe read, Crossfire makes tanks... Ninja, and some others (DXS, Valken?) did sell their own branded version of the tanks with that DOT # on it. Some info from Ninja and details about other affected tanks is in the conversation on that other site..

I hope they iron this out quickly as all I have right now is 2 expired tanks and 2 2013 crossfire tanks which are affected by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
None of those analogies even remotely make sense with what we have here. We have a manufactured item declared safe when it was made and without a safety recall, suddenly declared unsafe simply because a government fee wasn't paid. Your above analogies apply to services or actions requiring a level of competence or skill that must be maintained or kept current so it can adhere to current laws and regs.

I am having trouble thinking of a single other product deemed unfit to use not because of safety problems or recalls but simply because the manufacturer (which theoretically could be out of business, by the way) does not pay a government fee.
in no way was the tank declared unsafe, simply unauthorized.

both Norris, and Kaiser scuba tanks had the same issue in the 90's

DOT SP 9791 also expired last year, and the manufacture had to renew the permit before the tanks would be allowed to be deemed usable. the manufacture did renew it, and the tanks are now usable, but there were a few months the tanks were not allowed to be filled.

Go talk to a dive shop about it. they follow the rules paintball does not.

Regardless of how anyone feels, this is the law, and there is no use fighting it, until crossfire renews the permit, if they do, your tank is a paperwieght unless you fill it yourself (self fill stations at fields do not count)
p8ntballsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts