mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Air America Weapon System

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
Just curious but when did Crossfire switch from Carleton to manufacturing all bottles in house? I was under the assumption they bought the tanks from Carleton and then supplied their own labels and regulators.
around 2004 I believe.

MadD

It's easier to say

All tanks marked with SP-14339 were made by Crossfire, and included in this expiration. Some of which were made with custom wraps and markings for regulator manufactures such as Ninja, and numerous fields who had custom RENTAL tanks made with the names of the fields on them.
p8ntballsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
No, crossfire made tanks for several companies including Ninja.

I wonder what percentage of players actually know or care what the DOT markings mean? Hell, I have Co2 tanks marked "Never needs hydrotesting" because of an exemption filed by a specific company. The fun thing though is you actually have to go and look up the exemption number and see if that company cared enough to renew, otherwise it's invalid.
sorry for triple posting.

The exemption is actually not for a manufacture, but instead for a type of cylinder that falls within the DOT expemtion for testing

The rule is often known as the 2x2 rule (under 2 inches, and less than 2 feet long) This rule is a DOT rule, not limited to any manufacture. (however if the manufactures DOT permit expires the bottle goes invalid)
Old 02-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballsteve View Post
sorry for triple posting.

The exemption is actually not for a manufacture, but instead for a type of cylinder that falls within the DOT expemtion for testing

The rule is often known as the 2x2 rule (under 2 inches, and less than 2 feet long) This rule is a DOT rule, not limited to any manufacture. (however if the manufactures DOT permit expires the bottle goes invalid)
I'm not talking about the 2x2 rule. The tanks I have were branded "Fuel". The manufacturer filed a specific exemption on their chromoly tanks that made them exempt from testing. I have one marked "Never needs retesting DOT 8096" which is actually expired. Also have one similar to the one below with a more current exemption that's actually still being renewed (DOT-SP 13336).

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Armchair Snake Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
I'm not talking about the 2x2 rule. The tanks I have were branded "Fuel". The manufacturer filed a specific exemption on their chromoly tanks that made them exempt from testing. I have one marked "Never needs retesting DOT 8096" which is actually expired. Also have one similar to the one below with a more current exemption that's actually still being renewed (DOT-SP 13336).

https://i.imgur.com/EdpT5ol.jpg
Hey, I've got one of those Fuel chrome moly tanks too...haven't used it in years.
Clanless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Quote:
in no way was the tank declared unsafe, simply unauthorized.
For the owner and user of the tank, there is no difference.

Can anyone name anything other than high pressure tanks that are subject to such nonsense?

Seriously...I am considering legal action against Crossfire. I know I will lose money but in principal, I feel compelled.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
It's looking like Crossfire doesn't exist anymore.
A: Society sucks

Join us next time for another episode of Existential MCB
Feedback

CAX

I am "SPARE EDDIE"
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 AM   #27 (permalink)

DOT E-8096 is also expired, as clearly stated " no person may use or apply this exemption, including display of its number, when this exemption has expired or otherwise no longer in effect"

Now most fields won't know that. but yes, I remember those tanks now, and yes, they are exempt only with that Exemption number.

HOWEVER, if they are a 3HT tank, they are authorized only for aircraft use, and not for paintball.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
For the owner and user of the tank, there is no difference.

Can anyone name anything other than high pressure tanks that are subject to such nonsense?

Seriously...I am considering legal action against Crossfire. I know I will lose money but in principal, I feel compelled.
Cant sue what isnt there,and they are under no legal obligation to renew. If the tank business was costing them money, they have everh reason to abandon it
Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #29 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Quote:
Cant sue what isnt there,and they are under no legal obligation to renew. If the tank business was costing them money, they have everh reason to abandon it
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...u-using-2.html

Latest intel I had seen seemed to indicate they do exist.

If they are back in the consumer market after some government contract, I hope they are ready for mud because I have a shovel and a full mudpit waiting to see if they resolve this. If nothing legally can be done, at minimum they can expect a report from me to the BBB.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

Regarding SP-14339 expired dot cylinders, I have read the permit carefully and I'm not a lawyer but the permit was issued to Crossfire to manufacture , transport and use the cylinders. It clearly states that the cylinders are ok for 15 years after date on cylinder and can be retested a maximum 2 times. It clearly states cylinders can be filled and transported if cylinder is in current hydro. I find no wording any where that says tanks can not be used or filled because the permit is expired ?

It sounds to me like Crossfire could no longer manufacture and offer tanks under this permit until it was renewed. I see no wording for use on consumer end except for not filling if out of hydro.
hurricane51 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts