mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Pump on unregulated 12ies

Hi all

I am looking for some advice on how to spring / setup a 2k+ cocker to work off of unregulated 12 gram cartridges to play stock class.

Setup:
Aim Crow body
Shocktech Supafly bolt
Palmers HP LT valve
red madman springs
CCI bucket changer into the VASA
Freak bored Teardrop barrel

Results from yesterday:
Paint - GI 4 star out of a 682 insert, not a tight fit, but no rollouts
Shots 1-10 crept from the low 200s closer to 250fps
11-20 crept up from 250 to 275fps
21-30 creeps up from 275 to 300fps
31-33 goes up to 326fps and then back down to 250
then shot 34 did not even register on the chrono (no more pressure)

I am aware of the relationship between the input pressure and FPS achieved on these setups, but am used to using regulated air source. My thoughts on this was to see if adding an expansion chamber could start the system off at a lower pressure, and shot velocity would drop off from there. I am just curious if anybody is versed in the ways of unregulated 12ies, and has already come up with a solution to this.

Thanks
If one is going to be an ambassador to the sport do your best to try to convey to new players what the sport is about and attempt to convey the same message to the players that are being abusive.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
phy

You want as little volume as possible. Pre2k bodies work a lot better for this setup. I've read of people putting things in the air passage to take out some volume, macroline, string trimmer cord, etc. For springs you want the sweet spot to be above 850 otherwise you'll see the Fps go up as you deplete the 12g like you have now.
phy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Awesome. That makes sense, and I guess I was going in the opposite direction. So is the Palmer's valve not helpful if "The smaller head also increases the valve chamber storage space" (from website, referring to valve stem).

On another note, are phantoms and other stock class markers made with little volume for expansion?
If one is going to be an ambassador to the sport do your best to try to convey to new players what the sport is about and attempt to convey the same message to the players that are being abusive.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
phy

The gas from the 12 gram has to fill all the empty space before the valve, what ever energy that goes into that doesn't go into propelling the paint ball. The palmers hp valve is supposed to be a good valve for running unregulated. The hp valve should balance better at the higher pressure with out having to get crazy with the springs. I personally use an old sniper valve in an old sniper, it works great.
phy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Use the spring that came with the palmer valve.

Use the main spring that gives you desireable velocity.

Either use normal bore with wedgits, or a tight as hell bore. Both give good consistency with closed bolt

Then you can look at any piece of tubing like a macroline that you can use to devolumize the air chamber. Only the barrel will help with consistency, the devolumizing should help with efficiency..

Don't use an expansion chamber. 12 gram in vertical adapter.

I'm guessing your problem is that you shoulda used the spring pps gave you rather than red madman.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]

Last edited by Cunha; 04-19-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Personally if I had a 2k I'd just run a cart reg rather than unregulated and devolumizing.

Even on devolumized unregulated builds I doubt your shot count is more than 30. At least going regulated all your shots are same velocity (no drop off towards end of 12 gram) and better consistancy while still getting about the same number of total shots compared to setting it up unregulated.

Just imo
Old 04-19-2016, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Got the valve second hand, didn't get a Palmer's spring. Cart reg was the backup plan but would like to figure this out
Old 04-30-2016, 01:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Call palmer for spring. Or fiddle with what you have.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Call palmer for spring. Or fiddle with what you have.
Is the Palmer's spring stiff? I need one stiff enough to keep fps down when pressure decreases.

Anything softer is just going to make velocity creep even more as pressure drops
Old 05-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
work on points for style

Send a message via AIM to Bleeds Send a message via Yahoo to Bleeds

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
PPS Fan
The spring that comes with the valve is rather stiff, yes.

"There isn't much that I feel I need, a solid soul and the blood I bleed."

Quote:
"Booman246: The bore drop has a (Delrin?) penis on it that shoves the ball.
Bleedsmarinara: ...yeah. You could say it literally f*cks the ball into position."
Bleeds is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts