mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

p8ntninja is on the right track. A mostly modern MacDev gun requires very little maintenance.

I would stay away from Quests. Zero replacement parts available.
Pariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

Leaning towards a GTEK right now, easy to find, relatively new, and seem to be built to be low-maint. If i can find a great deal on a clone GTI or newer, I may snag one.

I see a bunch of exalt mentioned recently, did they just outfit a bunch of teams? I'll check them out if I can at the local paintball store to try on.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I got my birthday present Gtek today. While I obviously haven't played with it, I am impressed so far. Build quality seems really good for price, features and ergonomics seem well thought out and intuitive.

I went with it for the seemingly great mix of performance, reliability, and low maintenance at a pretty solid price point. If you are still looking in a couple of weeks, I will post up a review when I get to hit the field with it.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

Pearcem, thanks for the offer, I'll do the same if I find something in the near future, hopefully before you get a chance to play, but it depends what I can find.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Figured I would follow up. I will probably put a full review up in the near future, but I put about 1,500 rounds through my Gtek today, and as a whole, was very impressed. Basically played hopper ball all day, so no lanes or tourney type play, a bit more laid back. I have been out of the electro game for a while, my last guns were an NXT Naughty Dawgs about 3 years ago and before that an 03 or 04 Angel LCD that I bought new.

First of all, my paint was terrible. Hands down the worse I have seen since they sold that walmart crap in 02 or so that came in the 200 round plastic jugs. It was oily, very small, and not round. By not round, I don't mean dimpled, I mean misshapen. I had a few rounds that literally looked like kidneys. they were all lumpy and oblong. At some of the seams, there were .5-1 mm high gelatin globs. I later found out it was old surplus stuff from some military/le training thing. At first I was upset, but it actually worked out well to test the gun with terrible paint.

Setup

-Gtek, 14 Inch DW barrel (as close to bore match as possible), Ninja 68SL tank @ 550 PSI, and a dye rotor. I also did the OLED board upgrade.

Pros

-Consistency was surprisingly good for a brand new gun. +/- 4, with a big outlier every 7th or 8th shot, which I attribute mostly to the quality paint.

-No breaks. Handled the crappy paint and a bit of intermittent rain flawlessly.

-Points really well for me. The ergos are tight and give me a compact setup, but don't feel cramped. The macro setup (same as the Etek5) never bothered me or got in the way of my hands at all.

-Overall performance. A couple of CS1 owners were fairly impressed, and admitted that the gun was probably 80-90% of the performance of the CS1 for 1/3 of the price.

Cons

- Trigger. I think the trigger is good, but some don't. It is a sprung trigger, not magnet, which some people like, some people don't. I read that someone felt like they set the Gtek trigger up like it was a mouse click. I think this is a really accurate description for how the trigger feels when you shorten the pull. Like all PE stuff, very adjustable. The main downside is that there is some side to side play. Maybe 1 mm. I didn't notice it while playing, but it's noticeable when messing around with the gun off the field.

- I don't mind the composite frame, back cap, etc., but I wish the feed neck was metal.

That's really it for the negative.

Overall

Super impressed overall, and I think it's a great value at the price. All of the little things, especially when compared to it's higher end sibling (i.e. trigger, macro, plastic, etc.) aren't really noticeable while playing. The whole gun is well designed, easy to maintain, and even if it gets replaced at some point, would make a great backup that would provide top level performance without missing a beat.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

Great review thanks!

I picked up a used Gtek for a good (but not awesome) price, but haven't been able to air it up. Will be testing it out here - https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...y-23-24-a.html

I adjusted the trigger a bit. It's a mouse click, it's a microswitch with a lever. I'm unsure if I've actually fired a magnet based setup. I like crisp/firm triggers, so the adjustability was nice. I have the side to side play which is annoying now, but I suspect I won't notice when playing. I'm not fond of the trigger shape, I prefer a single straight line to the s-curve. But I'll see how it works for me in play.

Don't have a tank yet to mount on it, so I'm not sure how the ergonomics are going to work. I've used dual tube and single tube guns without too much incident over the years, so I'm not expecting any issues with sight lines.

I disassembled it and cleaned out the bolt to get a feel for how it's all setup, and was happy to see that it's easy to clean up the inside. Hopefully I'm not going to deal with any breaks, stock barrel right now is my only option.

I picked up PE elbow/knee pads, need to break them in, they're a bit stiff. Tried on exalt pads, they are thinner, but seemed to work in feeling fine in a few tests in a store. However, the knee pad fit weirdly on me, where the upper part of the knee pad was a little loose, while the calve part was tight. Not exceptionally in either way, but enough to make me wonder about movement. I did like how the back of you knee is completely covered in fabric on the exalt pads vs the PE pads which use two bands to hold it, which sometimes pinches on your knees.

Will see if I can post up my review of the gtek later, when I finally get a chance to use it.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

So picked up a used GTEK, disassembled the whole bolt/valve engine and relubed the whole thing using the instructions from the PE youtube channel. Easy, 30 minutes of easy work. Cleaned out eyes and adjusted detents. Played with programming.

Dry firing is a bit loud with a snap, but the lack of kick was a surprise to me.

Two days at the Monster game impressions. I ended up using a 88ci tank on the thing, stock barrel, and a rotor loader. The 88ci was large, and way more than I needed (I didn't track efficiency, but at no time was I below 2000psi, while shooting full hopper plus 4 pods). It was back heavy with this setup, and I suspect that the 68SL tanks would be a great combo.

Chronoing was easy, +/- 6 aproximately, barrel was maybe a step larger then the paint, but not over-bored (nor under). No FSOD. I bought it used, so I'm unsure how long it was used beforehand, but I assume at least one case had been shot through it. I put about 2.5 cases through it during the two days of play. No breach or barrel breaks. Second day was raining in the morning, and we had balls that were swelling, re-chrono resulted in +/- 9 roughly, that I easily attributed to humidity and non regular sized paint.

Shouldering and pointing, the gun behaved like every other poppet, nelson, open bolt, closed bolt, sheridan, etc gun I've fired. The paint went where I expected and it didn't seem straighter or anything else. Grouping was not bad, but nothing beyond what I've seen in my other equipment. Noise level was on the quiet side of average, the dry-fire crack was gone, but you weren't going to be hiding your location when firing. Lack of kick (coupled with 88ci tank) made it easy to walk fire if you needed to. I have not played with the higher end PE guns, so I can't compare to them. It was noticeably different than my automag and a viking I've used. Lighter, with less mass being moved.

The trigger. The stock trigger shape is a bit of an s-curve. This is not favorite shape, I like straight triggers. So ignoring the shape, the trigger is a levered micro-switch. You can adjust pre and post distance from fire, along with a the pull-strength/tension via a spring. I like crisp firm triggers, and the stock setup seemed quite light. Tightening up the spring, and giving a little bit of post-travel, and the trigger pull was nice. I'm sure I'll play with it some more to fine-tune. The trigger has an annoying amount of side-to-side wiggle, that I never noticed when actually playing, only when adjusting the trigger.

Mostly I played with uncapped semi. Trying 10bps mil-ramping allowed me to discover that I was firing faster in short bursts with semi. You can adjust to higher rates if you want, I only tested out to 13. I didn't bother adjusting dwell, the firing sequence is relatively dwell-insensitive from my reading. The lack of OLED board took me a couple tries to figure out how to program it, but after that, I had no issue changing firing modes when I had a free minute no the dead-zone.

Cleaning it at the end of the day. Pop the bolt assembly out without tools, wipe down the body and inside. Take the feed tube elbow off and clean around there. Re-lube the bolt, put it back in. Optionally pop the eyes out and clean around there. 15 minutes if you go slowly, 5 if you do it normally. The gun is enclosed and easy to wipe down, a big plus for me. A gun hit doesn't mean I need q-tips to clean it.

Ergonomics. I have large hands, and I didn't feel cramped. Though I probably wouldn't complain if the regulator was just a tab bit longer. The composite grip frame was comfortable, and the rubber regulator cover was fine. I like shorter barrels, and the stock 14" one got in my way a couple times, but this is going to be a personal preference.

Summary. I liked the GTEK. It worked, and it didn't require me to take lots of time at the end of the day to do normal maintenance. The combination of the regulator and a good barrel match gave some some respectable consistency which I find the most beneficial thing when shooting. The gun lacks the personality of some other guns I've owned. But it shot where I wanted it to, and when I wanted it to, and without fail. I'm sure they will have aftermarket bits for this soon, but I suspect keeping it stock is actually a better choice.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Started in '89

Good choice on the Gtek. So far I have 25,000 shots on mine with two ball breaks and the only maintenance done was to wipe some paint off the bolt tip. When I pull the core out it still looks like it did when I bought it new with plenty of nice white grease. My goal is to surpass PE's 125,000 shots without relubing the core. Since I am not in a lab, I might not make it that many shots. Chrono consistency is insane with this marker, +/_ 5fps is the norm once the paint/barrel is matched. My Etek5 is similar, PE's mid-range markers are outstanding.

Trade My Gun web store has Interchange Super Lite SL2 barrel backs for $10 each. They work seamlessly with the PE Shaft barrel system parts and allow you to get a full barrel kit really cheaply. The interior is nicely honed and they have engraved markings to identify the size. They only come in black but you can get blue or red tips. I have two sets for my Gtek and Etek5.

Effeciency for the Gtek is pretty good. I use a 68/4500 and can get 1100 shots easy on a 4000psi fill before there is any drop off. My standard loadout for a big game is 6-130rd pods and a Spire 260.
Flash74 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts