mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

Some gear suggestions? Spoolie & Pads

Back in 2012 I asked this question - https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ool-valve.html

I never ended up getting a spool valve, instead I played with an automag rt in recball and big games until 2014. It worked, great, I was happy.

Fast forward a number of years, and I haven't played since 2014 due to personal choices, and the fact that I've been travelling around the world for the past 14 months - https://www.facebook.com/2ontherun & 2 On The Run | Matt and Neeley's Adventures (end self promotion)

Due to the travel, I have no gear with me, but I'm going to be attending the 2016 MMG big game in a month, and was interested in looking for a spool valve to play with again. And verify some pads.

So two questions. One, what's a good spool valve gun to play with. Looking for $500 or less roughly. Was back to looking at macdev guns due to my playing with AKALMP gear previously. Looking for something that requires minimal maintenance and prefer something that isn't shaped in such a way that I need qtips to clean out gun hits (I had a unmilled viking). Used is fine, but wanted to keep it newer than 5 years old. So experts, what's the suggestion 4 years newer than when I asked before?

Second question, dye knee pads, and PE elbow-forearm pads? These were my favorites from before, still the best choices?

Thanks for any help, and possibly see you at MMG.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Pad wise, I used to wear nothing but PE; that changed this year. I got all kitted out in Exalt's FreeFlex pafs and they are awesome, better than PE imo. You can get a nice MacDev Drone used for under $400, you might be able to pick up a Clone VX for around $500. If you can find a VX for that price I would pick that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've heard good things about the DP G5 and PE Gtek. I had a PM8, by far one of the better guns in my opinion. So comfortable, light, reactive, and can be found under $200. As for pads, I have Dye forearm pads, and my roommate has old Angel pads. The only used I've ever used are those. The Dye I got because I have a bad elbow (put a 7mm gap in it when I was 16, direct shots make it go limp) and they had nice full cover for everything from my hand to my biceps, nicely covering my scar and saving me from hand shots all at the same time.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Six Point Five

Gtek for the best mid range marker and it's a spoolie.. Quiet.. Efficent and comfortable..

I love my exalt knee pads and exalt pants.. For arm I love how thick and bulky the valken pads are.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ves206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
RLTW

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
For spoolie, I suggest a FEP quest if you can find one.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock class=the only way

I have valken pads and i love them
psycho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

If you want low maintenance, avoid macdev. They're great guns but they are not easy to work on. I'd recommend a used geo of some kind. They shoot good and are super reliable. Easy to clean as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
If you are wanting a spoolie to keep everything enclosed, might I suggest an alternative that is similar in operation, but simpler in maintenance, an empire axe. Easy to work on, light on paint, easy to find and have a lifetime warranty.

As for pads, I love my planet eclipse elbow and knee pads.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

Thanks for the info so far. I'm going to have to see if I can get my hands on exalt/valken to see. I love the PE ones I had because they stayed put in dives and crawls without a problem (even without using the thumb holes). Same for the Dye knee pads. They were huge, but I had no fear that they would stay put and I could come crashing down on hard ground. Will see what the local place has to figure out sizing, a horrible problem with mail order of any type and things like this.

Spoolies.

Fep quest, remember this from before, how are they aging for being discontinued? Parts, etc?

Have DP guns gotten better since their first ones? I remember the first gen ones looking awesome, but the people at the field I was playing at were having numerous problems with them. I've avoided them for years because of this first impression.

Macdev, hard to work on because they require tools or because they have a huge number of o-rings you need to deal with? I'm comfortable working on things (though I really love the automag maint schedule - oil & dry fire after a hose down). I'm capable of dealing with things, but would rather play then tinker at this time.

Gteks and Geo's, looking into them, figured they were out of price range, but looking into used again.

Thanks for all the advice people!
Old 06-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I've never found my Clone to require more than normal maintainance. I would however find one with the VX engine and gold bolt; less o rings and they resolved the clipping of paint and shredding of the front bolt o ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts