mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Player

CCI Phantom Fan
Paintball: Made in the USA

So cruising the adds on eBay has found a few sellers touting "Made in the USA" for their products as if much is made outside the country. I got to thinking and poking around and here's what I now know:

Armason is/was a South African company

Eclipse, Arrow Precision and Belsales are from Britain
Wasn't WDP from Britain as well? Are they still in business?

Monteel is/was(?) from Canada

There are generic fittings, hoses an what looks like an old Brass Eagle bucket changer made in China available on eBay.
The Tiller barrels on eBay appear to be made in China.

I've seen references to a barrel that no one knows the name of (with some kind of rifling) made in Mexico

Meanwhile I know that CCI, ICD and Lapco make their products in the USA.

I presume CCM is USA (though correct me if I'm wrong)

I believe Tippmann is still out of Gary, Indiana but do their products originate in the USA? (I suspect so) corrected

I presume paintballs used in the USA are manufactured here but I don't know for sure.

So what do we really know about where our paintball products originate?

"I don't need a plan...just an objective."

Last edited by rathbaster; 07-25-2016 at 10:30 AM.
rathbaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Started in '89

Tippmann is out of Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Some of their items are still made and assembled in the US but most of their lower end stuff is made in China.

I think most paint is made outside of the US now. The only manufacturer I definitely know is still in the US is Nelson.
Flash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

All Niche Paintball products are made in the USA. Riverside California to be specific.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Valken and HK have some paint made in the USA, usually they're lower grade stuff. Most of their good paint comes from overseas. GI/KEE makes most of their paint in Canada, only outsourcing if production demands it. Nelson makes everything in the USA I think, and there are some smaller companies that I think do USA paint, but I don't know if it's 100% or not (APX, Rush, Rrison?)

There are paintballs made in India, Russia, Europe, and other countries that we don't even see here in the US. Our paint comes from America, China/Taiwan, Canada, South Korea, and a little from India.

As for the guns:
Empire: Taiwan
Tippmann: China/Some manufacturing and assembly in Ft. Wayne Indiana
Eclipse: Highends are in the UK, mid-grade is from China/Taiwan. A few high end parts may also be from Taiwan.
Dye: Taiwan
MacDev: Australia I think? Don't know if that's still true or if some of it has moved
CCM: America, but a few components may be off the shelf and probably from Taiwan (o-rings, screws, etc.)- This goes for really any company.
Alien: Made in America? I think so, not sure.
Azodin, DP, Defy, Valken, and most others are China/Taiwan as far as I know.
I don't know where DLX/Luxe/SP makes their guns. Their company is based in Philadelphia, but I don't know if any of the product is made there or not.

Loaders, Tanks, Masks and Clothing are all made in China/Taiwan except for Ninja Tanks/Regs. A few other companies tanks maybe made in different countries besides China.

Country of origin doesn't automatically determine a product's quality, but it is cool to know where it all comes from!

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.

I also work on other markers, PM for info.

Dealer for: Planet Eclipse, Ninja, GI/Empire/Tippmann/etc, Dye, Exalt, GoG, Valken, HK, GXG, CP, Push

PM me if you're looking for something. No, I will not sell it to you for cheaper than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Part of owning a cocker is problem solving

Last edited by jerryjjackson69; 07-25-2016 at 06:26 PM.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Just Some Rando

This thread topic pops up every few months.

APX and Nelson are the only verified paintball manufacturers in the US. Not going to dig further into this, as it gets messy.

GI says all their current paint production is coming from Canada, Marballizer being the sole exception as it comes from Korea and China.

A lot of soft goods are still coming out of Pakistan, Mexico is also producing a fair amount.

I don't believe DLX/GOG are manufacturing in house any more, so that leads to believe China/Taiwan.

Bob Long has always been proud to say American Made, so I would believe that to be the same.

Hammerhead Barrels are supposed to still be manufactured from the same facility, just ownership has changed.

To confirm Jerry's statement, country of origin indeed does little to determine product quality. It's the company that is manufacturing, or having manufactured, a product that determines quality.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tiberius soft goods that I own are all China tagged.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFCrew View Post
Bob Long has always been proud to say American Made, so I would believe that to be the same.
I forgot about Bob! That's another made in America!

My field marbs changed from being made in Korea to being made in Canada. I don't know if the Korea stuff is still out there. Custom blend has been mostly from Canada with a few Taiwan skids. The plan was for all GI paint to be made in the single Canada factory, but some of it has been outsourced. The rumor is due to the Canada plant not meeting demand, but who knows. The Taiwan paint is good, so whatever works best for them is fine by me.

Valken owns the old KEE paint factory in Florida, they've touted that, but only some of their paint is made there. HK's lowest grade of paint is made in the USA, I believe by APX, and it is their only oil based paint product. It is very low price point. All of their good paint comes from China. The only 3 companies I can confirm are making some paint in America are APX, Nelson, and Valken. I'm 90% certain there are at least 1-2 others, but I don't know their names.

I do recall JT lenses being made in Mexico, but I do know there's been a low of consolidation and shake-ups since GI bought up Tippmann and KEE. I know some manufacturers have changed for some of their products, and it has caused a few delays in restocking and upcoming colors/products. Nothing ridiculous yet. Just business.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.

I also work on other markers, PM for info.

Dealer for: Planet Eclipse, Ninja, GI/Empire/Tippmann/etc, Dye, Exalt, GoG, Valken, HK, GXG, CP, Push

PM me if you're looking for something. No, I will not sell it to you for cheaper than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Part of owning a cocker is problem solving
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

AGD boasts made in America for major components and most smaller ones, like fasteners and orings. Assembled in the USA for sure.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addict.

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjjackson69 View Post
Country of origin doesn't automatically determine a product's quality, but it is cool to know where it all comes from!
Truth truth truth. When I used to shoot Valken Redemption, it was shipped in from Taiwan (not sure if still is) and shot better than Marbs with a hub 500 miles away. Not that I'm playing favorites or anything (;

Feedback Please!
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Just Some Rando

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjjackson69 View Post
Valken owns the old KEE paint factory in Florida, they've touted that, but only some of their paint is made there. HK's lowest grade of paint is made in the USA, I believe by APX, and it is their only oil based paint product. It is very low price point. All of their good paint comes from China. The only 3 companies I can confirm are making some paint in America are APX, Nelson, and Valken. I'm 90% certain there are at least 1-2 others, but I don't know their names.
Kee manufacturing facility in Florida is currently being used to recycle electronic waste. Paintball manufacturing equipment from the facility was auctioned off to the four winds.

HK oil ball is marked from China. NXL HK paint at Vegas and Dallas explicitly said made in the US by APX.

There are at least other two companies claiming to manufacture in the US, but claiming and doing are two different things. I can think of at least two companies whose paint is "Assembled(Re-Packaged) in the USA" rather than made.

Last edited by CFCrew; 07-27-2016 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Missed a word. xD
CFCrew is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts