mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
An Average Homeboy

Send a message via AIM to oerllikon

nelson cup seal question?

hello, im new to these forums.i have a skrimish si, in need of a new cup seal. i was wondering if i could just replace the skirmish cupseal with one from the phantom? thanks
oerllikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Klaatu barada nikto

Cup Seal

Should not be problem if the threads are 6/32 on your power tube.
Go and lay your money down
Lift your feet right off the ground"

God bless you my brother. May you find peace in heaven.
TouchofGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
An Average Homeboy

Send a message via AIM to oerllikon

ok, thanks for the help
oerllikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

necro!!!!

i was tasked with making a friend's Diablo pump shoot, like at all. before it would not cock properly, and had a nasty leak down the barrel. backed off the vel adjustment, and cocks fine. but the plastic washer for the cupseal was long since gone

for ****z n grins, i took a spyder cupseal (i looked at the powetube and couldn't eyeball whether it was 8-32 or 6-32 so i just grabbed a spyder cupseal and went for it) and while they are the wrong thread, it just so happened that the threads on this power tube bottomed out at the exact same distance as where the plastic washer would have been on the original......
so i said, hell, and slapped it all back together, my thinking that the vlave spring would be more than sufficient to keep the cupseal in place over the undersized threads on the powertube and.
and it did, gun shot fine, it was about an hr ago, and that gun is kinda dang loud, so i only shot twice with hpa, but sounded hot, and 0 leakage at all! so i am optimistic, ill chrony tomorrow when its day time.

has anyone else tried this? or be interested in a direct spyder cupseal copy but with 6-32 threads? i was considering making some one afternoon. this isn't a for sale thread, i mostly wanted to know if anyone had done this before? seems like it'd be waaaay easier to find spyder cupseals than some of the oddball nelson seals. also good to know in a pinch at a big game/tourney
440SUPERCOMMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC

I too needed to replace the cup seal on a Diablo recently.

At first I used an Azodin polymer one (not 6x32) with some super glue. It worked for a bit then it had a slight leak.

What I found was that while they are the right size/shape to replace the metal ones with inserts, the material was too hard to get a good seal if there was any lateral pressure on the powertube.

The Diablo is not a high tolerance, precision machined piece of equipment. LOL

Rather than buy something online and wait to see if it works I set out to find some material that would replicate the elasticity/density of the original seal.

What I came up with was two die cut washers made from a clear plastic takeout container lid.

The "die" was a 9.3x62 fired cartridge case. The O.D. worked out well, and I was able to press fit the washer into the metal cup seal.

Of course I drilled a 1/8th inch hole in the center for the end of the powertube.

So far it works. But I'm curious how long it will last. Haven't played with it yet, just test firing in the basement.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Mike@NDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

I like it. So you are saying, by your experience, perhapse.if i make any, i should go softer than delrin?
Perhapse UHMW or teflon maybe? Ooo, or HDPE might do well. Ill aee what we have on tue plastic drops rack. Im deff not buying a stick of material for this lol
440SUPERCOMMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC

Well, for my marker it needed softer for sure. Because somewhere in the pump stroke the power tube was getting some runout and cocking the cup seal sideways on the valve seat.

My criteria was if I could get a slight imprint in the material with my thumb nail.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Mike@NDS is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts