mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #101 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
fullofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, formerly Western MA

Well, the website/photo stuff I can't help there if the connection sucks.

The point of the photos though is that they see it and either "like" it, tag themselves in it, or comment on it. When that happens it gets blasted to everyone on their friends list wether or not they're interested in paintball. You've just gotten an huge marketing increase for essentially free.

You're also fighting for attention. Ya there's a general decline in interest in paintball and disposable income but if your players see their friends posting Spartan Race pics every other week, they're a lot more likely to go do that than go play paintball like they did that one time a couple years ago.

The splatmaster stuff is a good example of this too. At least one parent of each kid usually comes, so know they think about it for their bachelor party or for their own kid's party too.
__________________
Feedback
fullofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #102 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Guilford Maine

You know I've wrestled with the 50 cal splatmaster stuff. I can't bring myself to get behind it. The insurance industry set the age limit for regular paintball at 10. Not because they could take the pain but because that's the youngest age they thought was mature enough to "possibly" keep their goggles on. So opening up play to younger kids doesn't make sense to me. Some fields are letting 7 year olds on with the splatmaster. I just don't see it as being worth the risk.
__________________
www.flyingdutchmanpaintball.net
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 AM   #103 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pburgh (formerly a New Englander)

When I was going to college, struggling to figure out nuclear physics homework (specifically the electrical stuff, diagrams and ohms and VA and other weirdness I've since forgot), I brought my homework to the paintball field out of desperation and told the guys "I'm here for the good vibes but not to play, just to do homework in the staging area and watch you guys talk"

And amazingly I blazed through that homework because I was in a good state of mind, in a good setting to do this sort of work.

Maybe to get the kids in make it a homework study center with paintball on the side
It will get their neurotransmitters stimulated enough to do homework
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:20 AM   #104 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Guilford Maine

Pittsburg, If you go to a paintball field to do your homework, I don't want to know where you go to do your taxes!!!! hehe
__________________
www.flyingdutchmanpaintball.net
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:48 AM   #105 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
fullofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, formerly Western MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
You know I've wrestled with the 50 cal splatmaster stuff. I can't bring myself to get behind it. The insurance industry set the age limit for regular paintball at 10. Not because they could take the pain but because that's the youngest age they thought was mature enough to "possibly" keep their goggles on. So opening up play to younger kids doesn't make sense to me. Some fields are letting 7 year olds on with the splatmaster. I just don't see it as being worth the risk.
The splatmaster masks are a lot lighter and less interfering than a traditional mask which makes all the difference. That plus running short games on a small field. The splatmaster games we run are pretty much exclusively kids near 10 or under and the rate of mask problems is WAYYYYY lower than any normal rental game. I think I've seen it happen maybe once?

I really like the 50cal though. It's fun even to just run around a pallet field with a bunch of buddies with them and chase each other. They don't hurt at all so nobody cares about bonusballing or close range shots or any of that. Little less serious and more goofy.
__________________
Feedback
fullofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:56 AM   #106 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
You know I've wrestled with the 50 cal splatmaster stuff. I can't bring myself to get behind it. The insurance industry set the age limit for regular paintball at 10. Not because they could take the pain but because that's the youngest age they thought was mature enough to "possibly" keep their goggles on. So opening up play to younger kids doesn't make sense to me. Some fields are letting 7 year olds on with the splatmaster. I just don't see it as being worth the risk.
I also struggled with the .50 cal and Splat master stuff. I finally introduced .50 cal about 3 years ago. After two years we had more .50 cal customers than .68. Even the majority of bachelor parties are choosing the .50 cal now.

We started doing Splat Ball (Splat Master) last September. It's not huge, but we have anywhere from 1 to 4 groups of about 10 - 15 every weekend. The equipment paid for itself by last October. It's mostly customers we wouldn't normally have, so it's bonus income.

The regular .50 cal we have the same age as .68 cal, 10 years old minimum. Everyone has to use rental gear (no .50 cal gear owners).

The Splat Master we recommend for 8 to 12 year olds (parents can join in). I think every group has been a birthday celebration so far. You do have to watch for mask violations, but sitting a kid out for a game for the first offence usually fixes the problem very quickly. Splat Master seems pretty boring to me, but the kids (and parents love it). I get comments all the time like "this is the best birthday party I've ever been to. I'm going to have my birthday here too." And that's exactly what's happening.

Last edited by Horizon; 07-20-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #107 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Guilford Maine

This week I drove 120 miles round trip to speak with a potential customer. They could be a good group or even a very large group depending on turn out from them. I sat with them for 45 minutes and answered all their questions and helped to make them much more comfortable with the idea of this company outing. So we may see 100 players if they do well or zero if they try to organize it via facebook. We'll know in a few weeks.

I've had people on here tell me that you need automated booking, they don't want to talk to people. They want to book on line without the personal touch. I still think going the extra distance (literally in this case!) makes a big difference.

So now will start the problems. This game is closed, so keeping regulars out of the loop will be important. (Don't worry there aren't many Maine players on here.) If they think we've got 100 players they will kill to try to get in it. But this raises the question, do we go for the purpose players like this big group and let the individual players fade away? I really don't want too but you can't organize the players these days. we could be at a cross road in the sport?
__________________
www.flyingdutchmanpaintball.net

Last edited by dutchman; 07-20-2017 at 08:32 AM.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #108 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Guilford Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
The splatmaster masks are a lot lighter and less interfering than a traditional mask which makes all the difference. That plus running short games on a small field. The splatmaster games we run are pretty much exclusively kids near 10 or under and the rate of mask problems is WAYYYYY lower than any normal rental game. I think I've seen it happen maybe once?

I really like the 50cal though. It's fun even to just run around a pallet field with a bunch of buddies with them and chase each other. They don't hurt at all so nobody cares about bonusballing or close range shots or any of that. Little less serious and more goofy.
So now I have another thing to worry about. It would seem the 50 cal masks may be to light to use with 68 cal play???? So I could have a kid show up with borrowed gear and get hurt because the goggle isn't rated for 68 cal.

Now if this is true it would seem to be rather a stupid decision on the industries part. If the goggles were 68 cal rated it would go a long way to getting them to make the next step to real paintball.

The only motive for not doing this would be greed. They can save a few pennies by value engineering the product to lowers standards that can still get the job done. (what we use to call invading the margin of error)

I hope this isn't true. Can anyone confirm if the 50 cal goggle is rated to stop a 68 cal paintball at normal speeds????
__________________
www.flyingdutchmanpaintball.net
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #109 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
paintzapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central FL

I played 50 cal with some family and friends that I would have never been able to convince to play regular paintball with. When I say never, I mean never. I had a blast with them and the kiddos, cousins and uncles that came out said it was way more fun then they expected. My lil cousins are always pestering me to take them out again each time I see em.

As to the mask issue, we used regular 68 cal masks as per required by the field. None of the cheapo masks, nor will the field allow anything less than 68 cal rated masks. Just use 68 cal masks and leave it at that, no wiggle room.

To think of it, the 50 cal would be beautiful for your lil indoor field. It is the perfect sized layout and being inside to boot would make for a nice casual day of play for most anyone.

After talking with my local field owners about it several months ago, I learned that 50 cal is actually extremely popular on the west coast but still viable here on the east coast. Using the pump/spring/plastic splat masters was less popular than the semi auto variants (I still think the red shotgun splat master may be viable) and the fields I see with them all had the spyder or GOG variants.

I preferred the spyder versions as the GOG versions seemed to have an issue with the trigger and velocity consistency, could have been something funky with the conversion kit but who knows. Plus the extra "kick" on the spyder helped agitate the hopper a bit better than that puff gun from GOG.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #110 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
So now I have another thing to worry about. It would seem the 50 cal masks may be to light to use with 68 cal play???? So I could have a kid show up with borrowed gear and get hurt because the goggle isn't rated for 68 cal.

Now if this is true it would seem to be rather a stupid decision on the industries part. If the goggles were 68 cal rated it would go a long way to getting them to make the next step to real paintball.

The only motive for not doing this would be greed. They can save a few pennies by value engineering the product to lowers standards that can still get the job done. (what we use to call invading the margin of error)

I hope this isn't true. Can anyone confirm if the 50 cal goggle is rated to stop a 68 cal paintball at normal speeds????
I've never heard of a .50 cal mask. I am pretty sure I would have by now.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC