mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #171 (permalink)

Well I saw a field try to herd their players. They cut down to 2 weekends a month then to one weekend a month then to the last Sunday of the month. Then they were gone. The last two or three posts have hit problems that I see all the time. Getting a game together, very hard to do. Procrastination could be the problem, players are not as competitive as they use to be. So now we're playing for fun and that may not have the same intensity in motivation. I had a bachelor group this weekend. They were great, running late, but made it. So we played until dark so they could get their moneys worth. They thought we had more to offer and was the lower price of all the fields they had talked to.

Now that last phrase is critical. They are shopping around, so if they are going to play fitting their schedule may get you the game rather then making a group fit your schedule.

Also taking that call when it comes in may get you the game. if I let it go to an answering machine and get back to them the next day. It may already be too late. Another field may have answered the call and booked the game before I get back to them. Remember purpose groups like a bachelor party are going to play, the question is where. They have no loyalty to any field they are mostly novice folks that don't know one field from the other. They don't even know for sure what they are looking for In many cases. So the field with the best customer service may win the day. If I take that call and solve all their problems and issues right there. We'll get that game.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #172 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

This is one of my favorite threads, I love pondering this sort of stuff

But here I am and now I ask myself, "What would get me out of bed next weekend and play paintball" when I haven't played since 2013 >_<

It would be if I magically had some fresh new eye contacts sitting on the ledge here that I can pop in and see crystal clear in all directions (rather than some narrow glasses) -- need to order some from overseas where they don't ask for an up-to-date prescription

I would need some brittle, dry shelled, and straight-shooting .686" diameter paintballs and I guess the closest to that is Redemption from what I've heard; that I imagine is $70 for a case but haven't checked yet and I would have to test it (go out to a store to get it or order online and go behind a building somewhere and shoot a few shots to make sure I'm 100% ready to actually play)

Before I play I eat a Subway ham sandwich and down a 8 ounce Red Bull
That will make me go turbo and I'm fun to watch then
Might pop a couple of pseudoephedrine with it for an added boost

After doing all that I bet I'll have paintball fever again and get obsessive about paintball in a spendy sort of way rather than this sedentary wishy-washy way where I reminisce about past glory and imagine what is still possible but what I'm not actually doing

I'm excited though because I'm cutting costs here and there using Dave Ramsey style money saving debt-reduction techniques and that will make paintball even more possible as the money I would have otherwise spent as monthly payments will go towards hopefully these things I said

So multiply my problem times the number of people who wish they were playing paintball but aren't, and that might be the slump
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #173 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Dutchman, I totally agree on answering the phone. I get annoyed with businesses that shunt me into the enormous "press 1 for who gives a crap, press 2 for we don't care" system. I would absolutely move on to another field.

As to limited play... I simply mean walk on play. Always be available for groups. If they want to book a Wednesday afternoon, and pay for the privilege, then oblige them. There is no point in being open when you only get 6 players. They will likely to be unhappy, as there are only 6 people, and you are paying wages to staff to work. If those 6 players were "forced" to either for a 10 person group, or show up on the days where you are open, then there will be more people for them to play with, and therefore they will see your business as more successful. (Granted, this is a fallacy, in general, but correct from their point of view... "There are 20 people playing! It is a great turn out." )

A positive note... I *LOVE* the "map" of the Castle! That is brilliant! Can you do something similar for the indoor field? It would make it easier for people to understand the game mechanics.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #174 (permalink)

I'll get the indoor map up tonight. We played our first game on the indoor since the reformat of the field. It was very good. We had 4 on 4 nice group for a test drive. First game we ran was a 10 minute. That was too long. Just like normal outside play, they sat back and shot until we gave them the 2 minute warning then they started moving.

Next game was 6 minutes. Still a little long but not bad, I'm thinking 5 might be where I want to be. We had guys reloading during the 6 minutes so I'm thinking maybe 5 minute and going to hopper ball for the game.

The flag idea was simple they liked it. Not much on cover fire on the first game, better on the next. So there is a learning curve.

After the first game ended they were screaming and yelling, I thought it was an issue, but they were just excited. Some described it as the most intense paintball they ever played.

No close shots 20 foot was the closest. velocity was 220 and the full auto was no problem. The guy used a little restraint, short bursts of 4-5 and then he fire again. Used it like a player with class!

The youngest player was 17, the oldest was about 45 so it was a good mix. The slower players found that they could be more useful supporting and covering while the speed
demons went for the flags. Most didn't even carry their marker out with them when they went for a flag.

It's a good layout, but if I don't take care on time limit and maybe hopper ball it. It will be a big paint shooter. I want the guys to have fun and get enough play to be worth the cost. But if it's a rainy day, this will keep them dry and let them have fun so plans don't have to get cancelled.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #175 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Awesome! Sounds like you are working to dial in the mechanics of the game!

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 08-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #176 (permalink)
Old gear!

I think any field owner could learn a ton from this thread... I'm getting the feel you're just in a tough market, Dutchman. I'd be a regular if I were local! Which is unfortunately only 5, maybe 10 days a year.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #177 (permalink)

The map is up on the website for the indoor field. Check it out and let me know what you think.

If any one can learn from this it will be great. We need to help each other to keep this sport alive and healthy. Idea sharing is free and if it solves a problem or helps someone from making a mistake it's worth a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: png indoor%20grid%20new.png (11.3 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by dutchman; 08-14-2017 at 07:02 AM.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #178 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Great map. I believe that will help people to understand the game, and to figure out "strategy"

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 08-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #179 (permalink)

To show you how fast things move in this business. We just did our first game with the new field layout and we have now started on the next modification which will keep it from getting boring.

It's a simple idea, all we have to do is build the equipment to make it happen. The field now has 20 flags 10 on each side to fight to retrieve. The next generation will reduce that to a maximum of 10 flags, but they will be on a pulley system and will run around the path they are on now. So the flags will pass by the block fronts and you'll have to time your dash to get it with it's travel. It will be like a mini ski lift with the flags at regular intervals. A whole new facet of the game.

With luck I can fabricate the gear this winter and do the refit by spring. If they don't like moving flags we can always play with the cable in the stationary position.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #180 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Put a shield on one of the pulleys for strategic blocking
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts