mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Just remember, you are the field. Everything we complain about here, the cheating, the bonus balling, the renters in games with gear owners, etc. is all about reffing.

If the field owner doesn't give you the power to make it a good experience for the player then walk away.

Also, in private games its customary to tip the ref, so act as both the ref and MC. Mix it up in teams and games you play. Make sure private games have priority over every one else there. Make sure you're getting them on the field first. Again, the field owner should give you the power to take care of these customers as VIP's.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Know how to interact with rental groups that need constant supervision and the experienced groups that don't want a lot of down time.

One of the things I notice with some of the refs that are good with kids and birthday groups are that they tell the kids ahead of time that if they misbehave, take off their masks, don't have a BBD on or anything else against the rules they will get told in a loud voice to remedy the problem immediately. They explain the safety reasons why and that if they refuse or if they keep doing the problem they will be kicked off the field with no refunds for the rest of the day.

Also, announcing to your group (if you have an assigned group) that we have an XX min break and the next game is in XX min. Letting them know this helps keep them ready, I know the experienced guys (like myself) heavily appreciate this.

Other things to keep in mind that have been meantioned:
Water
Sunscreen
Water
Bugspray
Water
Extra padding (if desired)
Water
Communication with staff
Water
Quick snacks that can be carried are helpful
Water
Lens cleaner
W..... Keep a bottle of pedialyte on hand, you never know if you or someone else may need some serious hydration.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
When I reffed I always carried a towel. Great as a shoeld or to cover the head of players that take their mask off

Support your local fields. The game you save may be your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...eedback-3.html
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Like others have said, be stern with your calls and when enforcing the rules. I usually do a "3 strike rule" with masks, meaning the first warning about your mask is during the safety briefing, take it off on the field (strike 2), you sit for a game or 2 and strike 3 is you're done for the day. Keep a towel/rag in your pocket to wipe masks off, make sure chrono rules are followed. I do not allow people that are playing with rentals to chrono themselves, I either stand next to them and watch or take their marker and do it myself. I also check rate of fire and fire modes in the same group, leave ramping on the speedball field unless team guys and other tournament players are playing on the scenario fields.

Also remember to let significant others know you are reffing! Just in case you take a neck shot
Check Six Paintball Team
https://www.checksixpaintball.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/DeathKlownGaming
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Your cell phone has no place on the field. Leave it somewhere safe in staging or in your car. Every time I see a ref dicking with a cell phone it makes a lasting negative impression.

feedback

https://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

Regarding water: I've seen refs use a pod pack for multiple water bottles.

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Go to the field excited!
Don't let players just sit in the box for 20 minutes... keep the games moving. By the end of the day if players are just too tired to play, you did a good job of keeping the play going.

One of my biggest issues, more so than cheating, is waiting around for a game.
Be vocal, let them know you are a part of the game, if the players are having a bad time, change fields, keep an eye on team balance because people like to suddenly leave.

Then all that safety stuff.. too.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Well, I did everything you guys recommended and everything seemed to go pretty well. I even managed to get the birthday boy from one of the parties to run the gauntlet.
SSniper14 PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Fan of EMR
Kilt Club
cup....................
buy 1
wear 1
always
it takes 1 hit to ruin a day
and it only takes 1 to ruin your family tree

dont make it a habit for standing around in the ref pack jawing all the time, mingle with the customers and ask if the have any questions or concerns
do anything and everything the field manager or field owner and even if applicable property owner asks of you, ANYTHING............

remember, that "jackoff behind the rental equipment or the wanna be pro" is the CUSTOMER, they way you like to be treated when spending that extra 94 cents at arbys on your chick do get some nookie is how they want to be treated

that tatted dude in the big group ( basically any douchehat carrying-on), cuss words flowing like coors banquet at a bbq, you need to shut him up, just cause your a ref and it maynot be "your job" it is where you are employed and behaviour like that needs to be addressed
diesel imp is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts