mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Cheapskate

Rapide Comp/ Taso Gator questions

Anybody own one or both? Are they any good? Is one better than the other?

I understand the gator was Taso's aftermarket upgrade kit for the Rapide and the Comp Gun was Splatmaster's own upgraded version, and I have a line on one. I just don't know which one yet. The ad description says Splatmaster Rapide, but it comes with a pile of of gear and a few other guns so the extended barrel is obscured in the picture by the other stuff. I can tell it has no back bottle or stock which may or may not be in the pile.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I owned both, back in the late 80s. I thought they were the coolest thing on the planet. Typical newbie attitude.

Both the Gator and Comp could be bought as complete guns, or as add-ons. So, its not uncommon to guns Rapides that have bits of both parts.

But normally, the Gator was setup with: Direct Feed Adapter, 12" barrel, foregrip, Back bottle adapter (which included dummy 12gram, etc).

The comp was similar. but had Extended magazine, 6" barrel, with shroud and foregrip. Bottomline Adapter (with dummy 12gram), and stock.

The comp was definetly better looking, but the bottomline was designed for a 7oz, so hard to use other sizes. It also still uses that magazine. People with comps often swapped it out for a direct feed.

And it may not be either a Comp or Gater officially. All those parts could be bought separately. For example, it might not have a stock, or tank, but might have a nice slam changer. Those were a popular option back in the 80s since 12grams were still the majority at many fields.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball Cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I owned both, back in the late 80s. I thought they were the coolest thing on the planet. Typical newbie attitude.

Both the Gator and Comp could be bought as complete guns, or as add-ons. So, its not uncommon to guns Rapides that have bits of both parts.

But normally, the Gator was setup with: Direct Feed Adapter, 12" barrel, foregrip, Back bottle adapter (which included dummy 12gram, etc).

The comp was similar. but had Extended magazine, 6" barrel, with shroud and foregrip. Bottomline Adapter (with dummy 12gram), and stock.

The comp was definetly better looking, but the bottomline was designed for a 7oz, so hard to use other sizes. It also still uses that magazine. People with comps often swapped it out for a direct feed.

And it may not be either a Comp or Gater officially. All those parts could be bought separately. For example, it might not have a stock, or tank, but might have a nice slam changer. Those were a popular option back in the 80s since 12grams were still the majority at many fields.
That makes sense. If both were available as separate parts, then the original owner may have only bought part of the upgrades.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts