mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
the oddballer

Spreading mag fed/limited paint

So I have a problem ish not really. I am the one Of like three at my field that play limited paint. I either run pumps with stock class feeds my phantom or mag fed. I want to spread the idea of limited paint with the pumps I'm fine just handing them to people and letting them play. As they have free air and the person usually uses their own paint. I have been buying Tiberius pistols to try and make it so we can run some three on three games. this is where my problem is. The t8s run on magazine with and co2 in them. I have been using Leland co2 that I bought off here at 50 cents a piece makeing each round cost me three dollars. A game is 2 rounds so $6 per game. Say we play 4 games. That's $24 or to me half a case of paint. Would it be rude to ask for people to chip in or should I just eat the extra cost because I'm the one who wants to spread mag fed/ limited paint play?
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...feed-back.html
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Buy a case of 10 round tubes and some cheap shotgun belts. Hand out belts + 10 tubes each to people. They can cram and jam their semis and even space guns with 10 round tubes and play limited that way.

Avoids turning some away by offering pumps and attracts others by letting them still use their markers. Also decreases overall cost to you.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
the oddballer

Thanks might be the new game plan
Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I'm not sure pistol is the way to go to introduce people to mag fed.

It's fun for sure, had some great time running around with my T8 this last weekend, but it's quite a bit more difficult to go from a "standard" paintball gun setup to a mag fed pistol than it is to go from "standard" to a full sized mag fed gun. The number of eliminations I was making went way up when I switched over to my HPA powered and shouldered MK5 (forgot my 13ci tank too, luckily it's setup for bottom line air so my 70ci was still usable).

One idea is to start hording those Model98 mag fed adapters, the ones that stick a mag well where the hopper elbow went, especially if your local field happens to rent 98's. Still a familiar form factor, don't have to adjust to a stock hitting your mask all of a sudden, just a good old bottom line with the air tanks that the player most likely already has.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
the oddballer

I figured the t8s would work because it would be smaller games with fake less paint to just spray and pray. Plus there is a small urban field that pistols work far better than full sized markers in
Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

If you're going in a gradual limitation of paint, you may consider challenging them to the following progression:

Reducing # or size of pods they carry.
Eliminating pods and just playing hopper ball.
Using smaller hoppers. (full sized vs 100, then 50)
Cram and jam.
Et cetera...

I don't know if any of this would work, but it would let them use their own stuff to find a comfortable level of limitation. This might appeal to their practical "left brain".

If you want to really hook people, you'll want to approach them via the emotional "right brain". I recommend researching Simon Sennick and "Start With Why", as well as Seth Godin and his blog on permission marketing (to build a "tribe").

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

There is nothing "rude" about asking folks to pay their fair share. In fact I would say it is "rude" to expect you to be so generous as to foot everyone's 12 gram cost.

Let the players know your break even cost and ask them to cover it.

Other than that there are several limitied paint ideas in this thread that are great alternatives.

In a past case Chuck asked me to write a summary of the event and it's effect.

I was stopped at a red light behind one or two other vehicles. The light was red as I approached it and it is visible from five hundred feet away. I was stopped for 3-5 seconds before I was rear ended. The driver never applied his brakes and impacted at full speed.

My vehicle was totalled due to the damage. The trunk and rear doors were damaged to the point where my wife had to empty the trunk through the passenger compartment.

I was taken to KP Terra Linda with a long list of injuries. Many of which are lasting and profound.

I suffered a severe concussion, a broken tooth, soft tissue injuries to my neck and shoulder, nerve issues in my left hand as well as lower back and knee injuries.

The head injuries have resulted in ongoing migraine headaches, memory issues, and angry mood mood swings. It is my understanding that the likelihood of CTE 8n my future has increased profoundly. I was diagnosed with PTSD and spent a year on Prozac as as result.

The impact caused a broken tooth, and facial injuries that have resulted in a TMJ diagnosis. I have woken from a dead sleep with my left jaw locked shut several times.

The back injuries have resulted in almost daily sciatica. I spend several hours a week on therapy equipment at home and use ice packs often. I take anti inflamitories frequently.

I work as a butcher. My career is spent working with knives and saws on a work bench and lifting product that weighs up to 70 lbs.My physical well being is directly tied to my career. This accident and it's results will have a lasting effect on my economic well being and ultimately the value of my pension.

I hope this information lends perspective that will be useful in negotiations.

Brandon Nelson

feedback

https://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.

Last edited by coyote; 10-02-2017 at 02:32 PM.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
There is nothing "rude" about asking folks to pay their fair share. In fact I would say it is "rude" to expect you to be so generous as to foot everyone's 12 gram cost.

Let the players know your break even cost and ask them to cover it.

Other than that there are several limitied paint ideas in this thread that are great alternatives.
Yeah, but if you're doing a "Hey you should really try this out! It's a lot of fun!" asking for money afterward would be kind of a dick move. Asking for money beforehand would likely make people say "forget that!" and just continue playing the way they're comfortable.

It's his baby. He should probably pay for it if it's important to him.
ajkwf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Instead of buying T8s, what about the TiPX? At least that way you're using only one 12 gram and mags are a lot cheaper too. If you want to avoid 12 grams altogether, how about something like a Bolt or a Blizzard? If you have any old Tippmann guns lying around, you can convert them to mag fed for only about $80 each. You can run them with a 13/3k or they can even use their own tank.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

I prefer the Tiberius Arms series of guns over the Tippmann TiPX, but if you are loaning them out to people the TiPX are much easier to maintenance and less likely to screw up in inexperienced hands. For that matter if they are your guns, your air, your paint, and you constantly cleaning, maintaining and keeping those guns in tip-top shape, then asking for a little bit of money should be understood. Like the drug-dealer model, the first 'hit" is free.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts