mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
- Local 18 IUEC -

12grams and cup seals

I'm currently building my first regged stock class wgp 2k2. I'm running the 12gram through an ICD lever changer, through an SS hose to a palmers stab and finally through stock internals. At this point i have not run air through it.

Grabbed the chrono and stepped outside. The first 12gram i put through it everything goes smoothly. I wouldn't consider the shots to be consistant but it was enough to play confidently with. And since I haven't sweetspotted the reg it wasn't a surprise. The 9th shot i saw a drop in velocity by 65 fps. On the 10th shot i didnt get a reading and the ball went 10 feet from me and the same on the 11th. I figured thats what the 12gram wanted to give me. Very confused but i left it at that and discharged the 12ie to notice i still had a lot of pressure still in it. I threw a new one in and it did the same thing. No pressure to shoot 15 feet. It started to slightly leak out of the new icd changer seal. At that point i knew that was from back pressure and not a bad seal. I took it off and inspected the seal. The seal looked good. I then ran some hpa through the duckbill and reg and had no problems there. I took the internals apart and noticed the cup seal was the problem.

My question is is the cup seal always a problem running 12grams through it? The PPS HP valve i have in my uregged sniper never caused me any problems. Will this oring always cause an issue or was it just its time?

20170918_161556.jpg

Last edited by Snowking63; 09-18-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Snowking63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
I would suggest that you inspect the reg. there is the small valve that lets tank pressure air into the regulator, check the tiny little seal on that maybe? Hope you get it running well
If one is going to be an ambassador to the sport do your best to try to convey to new players what the sport is about and attempt to convey the same message to the players that are being abusive.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Is your cupseal deformed? I just see black.

The o-ring looks old, but the extrusion looks a little large also. Was the marker body re-ano'ed? If it didn't leak before, I would just get as many valve o-rings as the number of times you need to take it apart. For a couple of dollars you can do a lot.

Cup seals get old as well. I like delrin for high pressure, but softer seats are more tolerant to dirt and 12g sludge.

That is a low pressure valve, so straight CO2 pressure will be rough on the poppet seal.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
- Local 18 IUEC -

When i edited my post i replaced the phrase valve oring with cupseal in confusion. I was lead to think the valve o-ring was considered the cupseal. So what im really referring to is the o-ring. When i took the valve out the o-ring was unseated from the groove and as you can see its been damaged. I'm guessing from age? And no the body hasn't been re-ano'ed.
Should i install an HP valve even though I'm using a regulator?
Snowking63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

HP valve only needed for non regged.

Works fine with reg, but if your regged the LP is better

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

You can use a hardware store o ring for replacement of that pink one. That's not the cup seal just valve o ring.

The Palmer LT valve will be more efficient on regged 12ies than that stock cocker valve.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Old 09-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

That o-ring definitely needs replaced, it's the original WGP one (orange). I wouldn't bother with a valve upgrade like was suggested, your newer WGP valve is just fine.

Based on the fact that the gun runs OK with an HPA tank instead of 12ie, your problem is almost certainly in the area of the ICD stock and 12-gram.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Stock valve is a good valve no doubt. A better valve makes a difference on 12ies where it is easier to notice efficiency.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts