mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-02-2017, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tippmann cronus

Happen to see one for a somewhat decent price. Is the cronus a decent marker? Ie, do they make .685 barrels for it that wont cost me a ton. Is it as good as a 98? Ohhhhh and can i put a cyclone on it? Yes, i really like cyclones cuz i can run a 25 round hopper on it that is low pro.

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
AKA Maggy Moo

Base performance wise, it is the same as a 98. Same internals, etc. Similar reliability, just none of the upgrade capabilities. The plastic they use is alright (definitely not as bad as the Gryphon) but it's still not great. It takes standard A5 threads, so you can get a CP one piece in .685 for $30. You cannot put a cyclone on it.

Personally, I see no reason to buy one over a 98.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Awesome thanks. I have a 98 and a 98 act but im missing the act spring. Mainly it was for a backup side arm for if i have anyone who wants to join me on games. Also, i may be starting a paintball club at usu. They will pay me 500 a semester to go towards gear... i might do it. Who knows haha. Thanks for the reply. Oh i may need you to help me with my hammer 7. Its messed up bad

Old 10-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

this was actually the first marker i bought after getting back to playing....
wanted to see if the bug would bite and stick,,,yup it did!
this is a nasty little marker,,,yea its a 98 with window dressing..but depending on how you set it up...it can be as formidable as its shared 98 internal-ed brothers.
the only working mod i added was a lapco bigshot.. 684 (my main field's boreout)...and yes..the barrel cost nearly as much as the gun, but its a barrel and imo does increase the performance of the gun ...ill have it for many other a5 threaded machines..
not to mention that while many parts of her are "plastic"...she becomes much lighter than her brethren...a short stock...a short barrel ....no macro....add a remote...and you have one nasty looking cqb marker,,,and one that wont break your wallet!
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKNIGHT01 View Post
this was actually the first marker i bought after getting back to playing....
wanted to see if the bug would bite and stick,,,yup it did!
this is a nasty little marker,,,yea its a 98 with window dressing..but depending on how you set it up...it can be as formidable as its shared 98 internal-ed brothers.
the only working mod i added was a lapco bigshot.. 684 (my main field's boreout)...and yes..the barrel cost nearly as much as the gun, but its a barrel and imo does increase the performance of the gun ...ill have it for many other a5 threaded machines..
not to mention that while many parts of her are "plastic"...she becomes much lighter than her brethren...a short stock...a short barrel ....no macro....add a remote...and you have one nasty looking cqb marker,,,and one that wont break your wallet!
Thats good to know. I know that carying a 98 is tiring haha. They are heavy. If i could somehow get a cyclone on it, that would be awesome haha. Did they ever make a back bottle version?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
AKA Maggy Moo

Tippmann hasn't made a backbottle gun since the 68 special or the sl68 1, both of which were late 80s/early 90s releases.

If you want a backbottle, you might consider an early automag. You'll get all the reliability of a Tippmann with better options as far as setup, and way better performance. Not to mention the "haha I have an old gun, I know more about paintball than you" feeling. Which is the best feeling ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

PPS Fan
i think the only reason to buy it is for it being light. also the trigger is more centered. it has air throw grip so no asa. keep in mind that it dose have uniqe parts to it that is crono only so when parts stop being produced then well you no. some other good points are a5 threded, takes 98 stock. as for the price it's hard to compare it. some will say its better then an 98 and other dont so price ied say $40-$70? i have seen sick deals for 98's under $40 so...
thrasher_565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Its hard to bet a 98 imo. Well, im coming from a standpoint of woodsball. If i were to get a crono, it would have a stock upgrade, new short .685 barrel and it would be olive green haha.

I wonder if i could turn a crono into a pistol with remote line?? Haha
Old 10-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Are you looking for a cronus? I have a basic version and a gryphon that needs a new ASA.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomfgmikeftw View Post
Are you looking for a cronus? I have a basic version and a gryphon that needs a new ASA.
WHY did you have to say this. I want one for kicks and giggles. Ok, pm me an offer for the cronis if in good condition. I have no job right now and i am living off of student loans and scholarships so things are like eat or paint or eat paint haha

Thanks

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts