mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
I need this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweightnate View Post
If only he made a bore drop... That would be pretty close to perfect.
That's my one and only gripe about the phantom. It's also the thing that makes the phantom totally unsuitable for mag fed - which is a bummer.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Why did CCI win (or survive) as the lone nelson marker? Everone is welcome to answer, but if you are old enough to remember nelsons as competition guns, please contribute to this thread!

Was it that:
CCI had other revenue streams that kept it going when nelsons lost popularity.
The Phantom had better modularity than other nelson markers.
Mike is a great guy, and great guys win.
The Phantom's aluminum construction was better than the various alloys and steel used in nelson markers.
Something else?
The TPC bolt is gentle on paintballs,

The ultralight aluminum construction,

The removable barrel is superior to Autococker's, with fewer turns and an o-ring

It's successful but doesn't have the marketing or hype of Tippmann and mil-sim paintball guns, so less popularity, but that just makes a Phantom player stand out more when they arrive to the field and all of a sudden little Jimmy with his Tippmann rental hits puberty upon seeing a stockgun Phantom for the first time

Last edited by Pittsburgh Stinkbugs; 12-07-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweightnate View Post
If only he made a bore drop... That would be pretty close to perfect.
This highlights how CCI was the last nelson standing. Lack of innovation.

Now don't take that as an insult. What it lacks in innovation it makes up for in refinement. It's "not what can we make that's better than the old design", it's "how can we improve this old design".

Line SI and Tippmann quit making nelson's when they started making semi's. WGP switched from nelson to Sheridan based due to I suspect Bud Orr thinking that platform had more potential (or was easier to make in his garage). Lapco did innovate their pumps for a while (seriously, make an under cocking cocker threaded Grey Spirit and you can have all my money), but decided to concentrate on aftermarket parts. Nelson itself I don't think was in it for the guns, but for the paint.

But CCI kept on making the same old design, and concentrating on making it well.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
The only thing I wish the phantom had was the spring detent in the older mavericks and trracers. That helped prevent double feeds wonderfully.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

One more question:
Did the phantom ever have a great tournament reputation like the Line SI Bushmaster? Were there all phantom teams?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
In it's younger years I think the Phantom was considered high end. I would be surprised if there weren't successful CCI teams pre-semiauto craze.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

The big thing is Mike has all along built a good product and made small incremental improvements over the years for a very reasonable price. He's used good planning, testing and listened to customer feedback. He then fed that information back into his product to make small incremental improvements without falling victim of the "hype of the day".

Along with this he has always maintained very good quality control and outstanding customer service. This ensured a firm loyal customer base that as you see in forum posts here and other places over the years his product is always recommended for a "beginning pumper". Even non-nelson users recommend CCI because it is known you will get more value then the cost and with none of temperamental issues of some of the other nelson based paintguns over the years.

On top of that Mike has never over extended his paintball business like many others have done which is just good common sense business practice. Define what you do/make and do that real well and do not try to do everything.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
One more question:
Did the phantom ever have a great tournament reputation like the Line SI Bushmaster? Were there all phantom teams?
Yes. Most teams at the time were armed with a combinations of Phantoms, Caters and Bushmasters. With the exception of all the "PMI" teams.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Squirrely Scavenger

There are still a few teams that are Phantom teams in some tournements that I have seen. I want to say at supergame in Oregon last year there were 3 teams using just Phantoms. Now if that's the only gun they use I don't know.

On a side note, Mike did design a semi-auto, but it just never went into production. It worked really well and was as efficient as his pump gun. When talking to him about out, while getting to hold the prototype which I would buy off him in a heartbeat, the only reason he didn't produce it was because a part he needed for the gun wasn't up to his standards. In the prototype the part was high quality and was exactly what he wanted. When he went to move to production the manufacturer changed how the part was made, stating that the part he first got was their test one and the new ones he got was the mass produced version. Needless to say it was not to Mike's quality standard and that ended the design. He then turned what he came up with into a new phantom design less the semi-auto portion and that's your Phantom Revolution.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Doesn't the Rev push air every time you pull the trigger? Way I understand it the pump is only to load a ball. If that is the case is there a way to hold to door open and make it a true semi?
somethingbenign is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts