mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Gas through grip PSI limits (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/307061-gas-through-grip-psi-limits.html)

Cerberus 12-30-2017 01:11 PM

Gas through grip PSI limits

Is there any known limitation on the pressure that a grip can handle? For example, a standard fore grip with ASA threads and 1/8 NPT for input. Is there a maximum output from a tank that can be safely used? And would Co2 be an issue? Would liquid Co2 getting into the grip compromise it in any way? e.g, a gas through grip screwed into a vertical ASA with a fitting on the bottom with a braided hose feeding Co2 from a horizontally mounted 9oz/SHP tank. This seems like a setup that would be common enough and none of the gas through grips I have been looking at list any kind of PSI restriction.
In summary, is the pressure limit of a gas through grip rendered irrelevant due to the air/gas source never being in danger of reaching it?

Jordan 12-30-2017 03:32 PM

I would say at least 800 psi, possibly more as Co2 can reach over 1000 psi under the right conditions.

I don't think I'd like to try anything higher, but for paintball purposes I don't think I'd need to either.

What's the application?

Cerberus 12-30-2017 04:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. I want to use a setup as described, with a gas through grip, non-expansion specific, just a hollow grip attached vertically with a braided steel hose to a horizontal Co2 tank. As you say, Co2 can reach 1k PSI and some gas through grips seem less robust than others but there is never a pressure rating on them. I don't really want one of those to grenade with my hand wrapped around it.

uglyduckling 12-30-2017 04:21 PM

I sometimes wonder this about running SHP on my mags. Ha.

Jordan 12-30-2017 05:07 PM

I've had no issues in the past running unregged Co2 through expansion chambers or gas thru grips, I'm pretty confident you'll be ok. :) Keep in mind you have a burst disc on your tank as well.

Cerberus 12-31-2017 10:36 AM

Fair enough, fingers crossed nothing goes wrong, and that I'll still have fingers to cross!

HP_Lovecraft 12-31-2017 04:47 PM

The working upper limit for co2 is 1800psi. Its pretty easy to hit that on a hot day, with a full tank.

I've never seen a grip fail, catastrophically, but can imagine a player diving into a bunker at just the right angle, causing something to snap? Us old-timers remember the infamous Smart Parts "Smart Remote" which had to be recalled due to catastrophic failures.

Liquid co2 is under the same pressure as the gas. The only time when that can become dangerous is if using a regulator that does not vent. If liquid co2 goes through a regulator, it will flash and cause pressure to spike. Most regs will just vent this pressure. Some don't, causing FPS spikes. (ie SA-8). This is also why back-checks were banned, sorta. They causing spikes.

But worse case scenerio is if the downstream is completely flooded, with a non-venting reg acting as a back-check. The co2 can go supercritical with pressure rising to 2000+ psi.

not likely though.

flyweightnate 01-01-2018 05:28 PM

A soda can ruptures at over 60psi.
The gas thru grip is likely less than 1/3 the diameter, and more than 50 times as thick, putting you around 9000psi. Threads would fail first.
You should be just fine, as long as it's metal.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Cerberus 01-02-2018 09:32 AM

Great, thanks for all the input!

seajay 01-03-2018 02:58 PM

My Gas through grip feels like it's 100x times stronger than the macro-line I use :P

I would imagine the fittings would fail before the grip would.

Also... all the above ^^^