mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

recreating PE jewel stickers

does anyone have a good high quality image of the old Planet Eclipse logo? the one found on the hinge frame jewel stickers? I made some custom ones for my trigger frame after I had it anodized. I used silver sticker paper and epoxy jewels. I'd like to eventually make exact copies of the originals though. the foil came off mine when I removed them and the image is too small to work with.

this is the logo I'm looking for:

this is what I managed to make for now:

Hathegkla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Probably only good way to get a good rendering is for a graphic artist to make one with eyeball power and the best example of the logo in front of em.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Also a larger version is probably available in a magazine of the period which could probably be manipulated to give you what you need.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Also a larger version is probably available in a magazine of the period which could probably be manipulated to give you what you need.
good idea, I should take a look and see if I can find some in magazine scans. I have adobe illustrator so I can make the logo myself, I just need a bigger example so I get it right. from looking at the sticker it seems to be a silver box with a cross and a circle in it, couldn't be much easier to draw.

EDIT: found this, it's probably the best I can do, I should be able to get the proportions from it anyway.

Last edited by Hathegkla; 01-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathegkla View Post
I should be able to get the proportions from it anyway.
That's my thought too. Since you already have Illustrator, making it a vector based image should be a piece of cake. This way you won't have to worry about grainy pixelization in your finished product. The most time consuming part (not that bad though) will be getting the gradients just right.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
That's my thought too. Since you already have Illustrator, making it a vector based image should be a piece of cake. This way you won't have to worry about grainy pixelization in your finished product. The most time consuming part (not that bad though) will be getting the gradients just right.
I'm not sure it has gradients to it, that part of the line is cropped of inside the sticker. to me it just looks like clear (silver) lines on a black background with tapered areas where some of the lines intersect. even if I don't get it 100% it's only a 10mm sticker. I'll see if I can get it tonight.

the only problem I run into with printing on silver paper is the ink beading up. I may have to print on a mat transparency first and layer it to get the right look.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathegkla View Post
I'm not sure it has gradients to it, that part of the line is cropped of inside the sticker. to me it just looks like clear (silver) lines on a black background with tapered areas where some of the lines intersect. even if I don't get it 100% it's only a 10mm sticker. I'll see if I can get it tonight.

the only problem I run into with printing on silver paper is the ink beading up. I may have to print on a mat transparency first and layer it to get the right look.
Another thing you could try is saving the file as a raster image and printing it out at on photo paper at CVS, Walmart, etc. So long as it's scaled properly, you should be able to get nice smooth printout. Maybe have it on the same printout in various sizes to ensure you get the size just right when it's printed.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Another thing you could try is saving the file as a raster image and printing it out at on photo paper at CVS, Walmart, etc. So long as it's scaled properly, you should be able to get nice smooth printout. Maybe have it on the same printout in various sizes to ensure you get the size just right when it's printed.
yeah I've thought of having them done on a better printer, the problem is the silver backing. I'm stuck either using a transparency or printing on silver sticker paper. my home printer has good resolution it's just that the ink beads up a little on the silver. I might try drying them with a hair dryer immediately and see if that helps.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I did a little work and actually got a really good image. I found my old sticker floating around on my desk and took a pic. then I drew over it in illustrator. I didn't get a change to make a sticker but I think the image will work, it's not 100% perfect but at 10mm I think its more than enough.

https://i.imgur.com/hWrdJsK.png

and the pic I took of the origional

https://i.imgur.com/LkTS3FZ.jpg
Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
That looks pretty damn close. Like you said, at that scale, who's going to notice? Great job.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts