mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

SO...hooray i am a mag owner! (finally)

an RT Classic to be exact!

now comes my first of newbie questions....but none that i have not researched first.

found her local ...and i saw the potential i see in all forgotten and neglected markers i find..albeit i had no clue of them outside of admiration.

went to check her out....hooked a tank...and as excepted leaked like a sieve from every orifice when i aired her. after few back and forth with some numbers, i took her home and stripped her and bathed her. Every ring...either crumpled at touch or melted...(the bolt bumper was basically gum)..only one ring looked usable,,,but it was replaced too.

thankfully....just about every ring i needed was in my autococker rebuild gearbox.

i even rebuilt the 3 ring stack on the reg pin...(reused the plastic split washer and flanked it with new 006;s)..

with a fellow mcb'r on the phone...the moment of truth came. fully cleaned and rebuilt..velocity all the way out..dont wanna rush things ya know...

i held my breath as i aired her..

the trigger softly responded....something she didnt do the first time i aired her...
no leaks...so i slightly turn up the vel...trigger firmed up...
annnnnnd...theeeennnn.....blap blap blap blap...
.PURE MUSIC TO A REBUILDERS EARS!
.WOOOHOOOOO!!!

...but....(((

as i turned the vel up...a slight hiss from the vel screw hole came
....a slight description to my buddy on the phone came up with
..."reg seat"....
ummm... there aint none i said
..i mean ive seen reg seats before...in hpr;s and lpr;s of cockers..top hats of vigilante regs...etc.

.and not one thing in my new mag had anything even close to a flat urethane washer with a hole in the middle...

this perplexed him too....till i sent the pic.

https://paintball.dropzonepaintball.com/photos/products/1829-1.jpg

ooohhh.....yeah rt's have a different set up....
that seal...is inside...
ehh? come a again.

apparently according to almost everywhere i looked....you have to buy the
WHOLE thing.

until i found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcnqeIznLQ

now to my question (sorry i take a loooong time to get to the point)

can i do this to mine>?

it looks similar ..no..?

and i figure if i gotta buy one anyway....why not try?

if i do i cant screw up anything else in the rest of the marker ....right?

also....anyone have an extra stock barrel that goes to this?
her original owner lost hers

thanks all!!!
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
mag shooter

I read about a third of that.

you want to use an agd rebuild kit. orings will last much longer and cause less headaches. Depending how old the mag is you made need to replace the reg piston. the new reg pistons are set to a higher pressure than the originals so your piston won't leak when you try to use a level 10 bolt. next you will want to post some pictures so we can help you trouble shoot. snap a side picture of your sear. it will tell us if it needs to be replaced or if you have an old style one. best bet is to upload an album of pics with the internals in an exploded view.

I have barrels too. shoot me a pm.

My shop page: Bearded Works

feedback(https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
trophy husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKNIGHT01 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcnqeIznLQ

can i do this to mine>?

if i do i cant screw up anything else in the rest of the marker ....right?
Do it. You definitely can't screw up the marker worse than it already is. Or....you can't screw it up more than some new parts can't fix. I would take apart the regulator piston first. If it fixes the problem, then great. If not, you can still buy the new part, and you've only lost a little time.

I second what Superman said about the AGD parts kit, though. Third party kits never hold up as well. Automags are designed to use Teflon o-rings. If you use something else (like Buna), it will wear out in a few months. Or a few hours.

Good job finding that video, by the way. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I have a few old pistons lying around, and I don't think I ever realized I could take them apart. Now I want to try.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
mag shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
Do it. You definitely can't screw up the marker worse than it already is. Or....you can't screw it up more than some new parts can't fix. I would take apart the regulator piston first. If it fixes the problem, then great. If not, you can still buy the new part, and you've only lost a little time.

Good job finding that video, by the way. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I have a few old pistons lying around, and I don't think I ever realized I could take them apart. Now I want to try.
That isn't something for the average person to mess with. It is what sets the blow off for the piston in the event the pressure in the marker is to high. The seals can not be purchased from agd for a reason.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
I read about a third of that.
lol..i was bored at work...wanted to give people something to read if they were too!

i dont plan on expanding her from what she is..ie..upgrading the bolt and such. i like stock for the most part.

ill take some later ..but i will need to replace or repair that reg piston...i do see the tell tale greenish bits of a beat seal around where the pin goes into the reg pist body..

im pming ya now bout a barrel!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
Automags are designed to use Teflon o-rings. If you use something else (like Buna), it will wear out in a few months. Or a few hours.
Urethane, 70 duro mostly. The classic (non-RT) just had the on/off top o-ring as teflon. The RT banjo bolt o-rings are 90 duro urethane, and you should stick with that one especially.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I used some 70 bunas I had but I'll def get some 90d u's
Old 02-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

are all (typically) automag orings

u90d's?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
mag shooter

if you are planning to rebuild the mag with urethane orings just order the kit from agd. they are not standard off the shelf orings. they are designed to last.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKNIGHT01 View Post
are all (typically) automag orings

u90d's?
Most are 70 duro urethane. Any differences were for particular reasons. The teflon on/off top o-ring in the original valve was for CO2 use, which is why you see that same o-ring as urethane in RT valves, which are not for CO2.

The banjo bolt o-rings need to carry the side load of the valve firing so that the banjo bolt itself doesn't get pushed to the back side of the hole and cause a leak on the front side. Hence the 90 duro.

The ULT has a tiny buna o-ring, and the level 10 carrier has an outside buna o-ring. Those are the only ones I can remember in buna.

The main thing is to use the 70 duro urethane on any automag seal that moves when firing (dynamic seals). Some static seals are urethane just for commonality and you can switch them around if needed. For the same reason, buna will last OK in those static areas.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts