mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Tips for cleaning a marker that has been sitting for a while?

I picked up a few markers that look like they have been sitting for a while with old paint and possibly something else? on them.

The troublesome one is a Spyder. When taking it apart, I had to pull pretty hard to separate the frame from the body. It looks like glue maybe? Its hardened and is flaking off in some spots. I don't think its old paint, because I've never seen paint dry hard like this.

I've already tried letting it soak in water. That didn't soften it up. I also tried running hot water over it, that helped make some easier to flake off, but there is still a bunch on the frame, and the bottom of the body that is really staying on there.

Anyone have any tips for cleaning it?
ptballa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I deal with this all the time. I flip markers is my spare time. I've seen melted detents (literally, smeared across the side of the bolt) plenty of dried paint and too many stripped screws

If I had to guess from what you described, I would not be surprised if that is dried paint (years old)

But your best friend? Rubbing alcohol and q tips. The alcohol dissolves the old paint and oils just make sure it's all the way dry before putting it back together. I would not reuse any of the rings in it though. Any time I use alcohol I make sure all the rings are getting replaced

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
the oddballer

if its super stubborn you can use a little acetone. it will melt the glue away just keep it off any plastic or orings you want to save.not that any of the orings will be god anyways haha If you apply it only to the hard goop you should be ok just make sure to wipe it off as soon as the good softens
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...feed-back.html
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

i strip and soak..hot water and a degreaser like ....fabuloso
dry well as t said...and i blow out all the smaller holes and areas with can 'o air.
if theres brittle rings prob a good bet some of those bits have made their way into the system some how...and not much fun to rebuild a gun with fresh ring only to find u have to strip it again to find a small chunk of crap that ended up going into your ram..or what ever...i have found Teflon threads stuck in the filter of geos...a piece of ring stuck in the cup seal of spyders, blah blah blah.
i personally use a dollar store can of spray lube that i let soak into tough screws and bolts...i have found this stuff ain't strong enough for real world applications where wd-40 would be called into play..(i mean shoot its a dollar!)..but just strong enough to eat old paint. I just make sure to clean it off well after its done its job.
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Sticky spyders are always a good time. Lol.

Hot water and palm olive dish soap. Nothing on them that is easily damaged from a good cleaning. Those old o-rings just turn to mush and make everything very sticky.

For stubborn strikers and bolts I've even used a 3000 grit sand paper to clean up the metal some.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Yeah hot water, good soap like Dawn.

Tooth brush

Paintball oil is great to clean with too.

Acetone will ruin anything plastic and melt o rings so watch out.

Really water is the bestm

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

91% alcohol
citrus cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips so far. I currently have the spyder body in the freezer. I plan on taking it out and putting it in hot water to see if it cracks the old paint or whatever it is off. It is fully disassembled, just the body.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alright so I tried hot water, in the freezer then hot water, over the stove,rubbing alcohol, "Goo Gone", and wd40. So far this stuff isn't budging. I'm starting to think it really may be glue, possibly wood glue. The marker did have bad orings on the valve and hammer, so I'm thinking it may have had a leak from the grip frame, which the previous owner tried to fix by gluing the frame on.

Any tips for getting glue off of anodized aluminum?
Old 02-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

well anodizing makes it porous doesn't it? so if it is "sealed" you should be able to just scrape it off but any glue would technically bond to it if it is unsealed

try steam 100C/heat gun 150C+ but this may also damage the anodizing potentially...?

then again it is a spyder so I say just keep trying everything until something works

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts