mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

PPS Fan
No Revvy's in '94. But riveting story none the less.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Best story. Best gun. Let's all believe it and make it true.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Jim... Jim... Hmm.. Wasn't he the guy that had the '86 Honda Civic hatchback? I think I remember him.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Got email back from Craig

Craig emailed and said:

"Sounds like a Stroker. Most of our data is now stored by customer name.. The old stuff is on hand written cards that takes considerable time to look up and relay the info back.

You can send pics here and I can try to give you some insight."

Sent him the pics waiting to hear back.
Intensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

How many

How many were made? Says .68 on the side. I purchased the gun in grand rapids, mi 1996. I paid like 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I have looked at the photos, I haven't seen that marker since December 20, 1994:

Her name is Veronica. She was made to order by Jim Hutchinson of Eerie, PA. Commissioned in 93, and delivered in early 94 she was the pride of his collection. He named her Veronica after his violent ex girlfriend, who had once (during a breakup) fired at Jim with a .22 Hornet rifle, nicking his right earlobe. To him the name represented fierceness and accuracy, and he was right. Veronica and Jim stormed the local fields that spring and summer, taking heads wherever they went. Jim preferred a remote coil and a revvy, with a 16oz tank on his back. Although everyone believed in the 'closed-bolt accuracy' of the marker, the truth is it was Jim. He'd been eagle eye'd since he was born, and had muscle memory built from years of youthful sports. 4 years in the army hadn't hurt either, with deployment to Panama and a campaign ribbon to match. Jim in a whippersnapper mask coming over a hill with Veronica signing became synonymous with victory, players retreated into their bunkers, blind firing if they dared. Jim was fast though, and light on his feet like a cat burglar, and would round the corner of a bunker on the player's weak side and put 3 balls into him before he could spin his head.

94 was Jim's finest season, but it was to be his last. Like all men the urge to settle down and hunker for winter hit Jim, and Veronica was always on his mind, no doubt pushed to the forefront with his relationship with brass and paint. Common sense and self discipline gave way to instinct and urges, and Jim picked up his rotary phone and called the real Veronica, just to feel her out. Soon enough they were back on like they hadn't skipped a beat. A few weeks flew by and Veronica's veneer had worn thin: she was shouting, scratching, yelling, throwing, poor Jim was ashen... Jim confided in me and told me he was going to break up with her, he said (as he had said before) it could never work, Veronica may have been the love of his life, but even he could see the writing on the wall. I said bye to Jim on December 11, 1994 as he left my work shop, headed home to have 'the talk' with Veronica. He never did have that talk. Jim opened the door to his house, hung his silly hat on the hook next to the door and took two steps across the threshold, and Veronica, sitting at the bottom of he landing rose up, Jim's Saturday night special in her hands. Without a word she squeezed the trigger and put a round right through Jim's chest and into the drywall behind him. He fell to his knees and she fired another round into him, which entered at his neck and exited through his kidney, he died instantly. Veronica had planned to take her own life, or so she told the jurors, but of course she never would have, she loved herself too much.

We buried Jim 5 days before Christmas, on a cold and bleak morning. The one thing I remember the most was depositing Veronica, his favourite marker, and most prized possession, on top of his casket as it was lowered into the earth. That was the last time I saw her, until today.

She is .690 btw.

Last edited by Intensed; 02-10-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Deplorable...

i may have "purchased" more palmers guns here than anyone else on these boards...

yeah, it's a nice old palmers. might need a trip to PPS to get it singing again.
pretty much what everyone else said is about right...

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Since you are the authority, can you tell me about my palner?

QUOTE=freedom;3458026]i may have "purchased" more palmers guns here than anyone else on these boards...

yeah, it's a nice old palmers. might need a trip to PPS to get it singing again.
pretty much what everyone else said is about right...[/QUOTE]
Old 02-10-2018, 01:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCD Member

Maybe if you give some idea of what info you're looking for. It's a stroker, semi auto, not particularly rare... what else do you want to know?
Old 02-10-2018, 01:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Ok

Last edited by Intensed; 02-10-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intensed View Post
This gun that I found I purchased in 1996, I thought I lost it. Found it cleaning around the house. I'm curious to what I own because I can not find any pictures online matching this striker that has been identified on this forum and by Craig.
-The reason you don't see many pictures is that not many were made (a few hundred Strokers, in all, I think?) and they were all custom ordered and custom made.

A "Stroker" conversion is simply adding what later became known as Typhoon pneumatics to a Sheridan/PMI pump gun, in order to convert it to semiautomatic.

Palmer's could build a Stroker out of almost any Sheridan pump- a PGP, a P-68, P68-DF, Piranha, Piranha long barrel, P-68-AT, P-68-SC, P-68 Magnum, etc, ad nauseum.

And besides the different versions of the base gun, Palmers themselves offered a wide range of options, even back in the 90s. Vertical ASA or back-bottle, Wedgits, barrel porting, sight rails, custom foregrips, etc.

What you have, specifically, is kind of hard to tell, mainly because the lower tube appears too short for the barrel length. If it were a Piranha LB or PMI-II, the lower tube should be a couple of inches longer.

The barrel could have been replaced, but it still has the bolt locking ball holes (which Palmer's wouldn't have machined) and a factory PMI feed neck- Palmer's replacement feed tubes are different.

Also, it's not a Piranha or any model that had a back bottle, as the lower tube at the rear isn't drilled for the extra support screws for the back-bottle ASA. So it started life as a 12-gram, direct-feed gun.

Meaning, most likely, a PMI-1, I think?

The barrel length discrepancy could be attributed to Palmers having cut back the tube somewhat- either by necessity (damaged threads, perhaps) or by request (whoever ordered the gun may have wanted it shorter to look more like an Annihilator, or something.)

The Stroker conversion is pretty typical- single trigger, Battle Handle grips, vertical ASA. I'd be curious to see the other side of the gun- you appear to be missing the ball detent. (There's a faint rust stain on the barrel, just ahead of the feed neck, showing where it clipped on. Plamer's will have replacements.)

The foregrip was one of the standard options- the gun likely had that Delrin PGP-sized pump handle on it when converted, and Palmer's just throws a setscrew in them to lock 'em in place for a grip. Another option would have been a 68-Special foregrip, which most owners thought looked cooler, but added like $60 to the cost of the mod.

Further, I can tell you that my own personal Stroker, built off a Piranha Long Barrel, was modded, completed and shipped back to me right around May of 1996. It has a serial number of 1551, so depending on how many Strokers Palmer's made that year, your gun was almost definitely made sometime in the latter half of 1996, possibly the early half of 1997.

And finally, if you're looking for a photo of a similar Stroker, you need look no further than my Paintball Guns In The Movies page, specifically under the listing for the 2003 Michael Douglas film In-Laws.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!

Last edited by DocsMachine; 02-10-2018 at 03:46 PM.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts