mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Wait, what? You're supposed to aim?

No wonder I'm so terrible at this.

And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Wait, what? You're supposed to aim?

No wonder I'm so terrible at this.

Haha, I think I've had more surrenders with my phantom than eliminations by shooting. Terrible with it.

My buddy doesn't aim... Mind you he's got an M2 and just adjusts the paint stream to whatever moves.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Play pump, don't be a hoser.
My Feedback
Shopping List
For Sale
smirmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Usually I spend time in the back yard or field and do practice reactive shooting drills and see what works for me. Eventually it becomes muscle memory after I focus on accuracy for a bit.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I always point em

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm left eyed and right handed. Aim down the barrel with my left eye for accuracy. But generally I shoot it like a shotgun shooting trap or skeet. Point and shoot.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirmeister View Post
It's hard to explain but when I use my sniper I aim in between the barrels.
This is precisely how i aim. I generally use STBB's and put my face behind the back of the marker with the barrel between my eyes.

I always wonder how those guys who get the stock or tank right up on the back of the marker aim. I mean, they can't get their face anywhere near in line with the barrel...so in my mind they are essentially almost 'hip fire' ing their markers. It just never made sense in my mind for them to have much accuracy until after they have enough paint in the air to 'walk it in' till they hit their target.

But i've found muscle memory is a much greater aiming factor. When i use my Kaos, i can not even be looking in a direction, see something move then snap over and get a quick 'reflex' shot that is a one hit kill. Because i've used it so much. But when i use the mag...all of my initial shots pull to the left. It uses a completely different frame and trigger, and i haven't built up that memory with it yet.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead4411 View Post
I always wonder how those guys who get the stock or tank right up on the back of the marker aim. I mean, they can't get their face anywhere near in line with the barrel...so in my mind they are essentially almost 'hip fire' ing their markers.
My first marker was a Maxtact TGR2. Magfed, tank in stock, the whole sha-bang... I basically was hip firing until I put a riser and red dot. I hated the way 'regular' markers looked with the tank on the grip and the giant hopper so I was dead set on Magfed. One day I was playing and I was shooting at this guy about 30' away and 6 out of 6 shots missed. I broke down and gave in so I replaced it with a cocker pump. I can hit anything I want now [emoji4], easiest way to aim.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Play pump, don't be a hoser.
My Feedback
Shopping List
For Sale
smirmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
Part of the practice involved is to try to keep the same sight picture and fire several rounds to get an idea of the cone of fire the gun has with that paint and barrel. Like maybe a bag or so when you first get started on this, but it will take less over time. If you try to look at a shot and then adjust you may find you'll have a tough time figuring this out. For example: If your shot goes right and you correct your sight picture to account for it you may find it your next shot going more right or even going way left. Due to all the variables going on inside the gun and in the air between you and the target you need to get a decent sample and see that "cone" of where your rounds are going. Do this without aiming but paying attention to how you hold the gun. Keep you grip consistent and the distance you extend your arms and the position you hold the gun in as consistent as you can. Once you have a mental picture of the cone figured out then move that to the actual thing you want to hit. It may take a case or two to get this. To master that without thinking in a game situation really takes game time pressures and expereince in my opinion. Eventually you'll be hitting tree branches and twigs with relative ease, as long as your gun is setup well enough.

Ergonomics are huge for me too. If the gun is awkward to hold or is uncomfortable to aim correctly then you most likely will compensate and miss your shots. Have fun and you'll be a dead eye shot in no time.

Feedback thread: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I have Armson occluded eye sights on my three main markers...each one has its own sight. Using good paint, I zero it in for around 25 yards and then use them when playing a good bit of the time. I find that by using them and becoming accustomed to doing so helps me connect with single shots or my first volley of shots more accurately. Sometimes in the heat of battle, like everyone else, I end up using them less and walking shots in but usually, I try to use my sights for what they are intended. I find that keeping both eyes open when using them also helps me to avoid losing sight of my surroundings and helps me acquire other targets.

As with most things, practice is required and personal preferences will affect success.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Nerd

I've thought about this a lot, and I don't have a good answer. Most of my markers, I've had for a while, so I just kind of "know" where to point them based on the ergonomics. It's aiming, but it kind of isn't? I really, really think ergonomics are the most important thing when it comes to putting the paintball where you want it to go.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

Selling a PPS Pug? I might be buying. PM me.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts