mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Mold casting

Ello all. I have a new goal i am trying to accomplish. The bracket pictured has been discontinued. I want to make a mold of it, then inject said mold with plastic or resin.

BUT, i jave never made a mold of something and do not know where to start. So, have any of you guys made a mold of something?

This part is not mone and must be returned to original owner, so it can not be ruined or messed up during tje process.

Thanks
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Smooth-on silicone and urethane casting resin

Ive done a few, not sure theres anything I can answer that isn't in a tutorial online, but PM me if you do some reading and still have questions
My feedback: MCB / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 06-24-2018 at 07:59 PM.
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
Smooth-on silicone and urethane casting resin
Then how does one get the original part out from the resin?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

The mold is made of silicone, you put strategic splits in it so the part isn't trapped and its soft enough to peel off. The urethane is the rigid plastic you cast replicas with.

https://www.smooth-on.com/howto/basi...video-tutorial
Old 06-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Oh sweet. I see what you mean now. Ok, ill read the link and see what happens
Old 06-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

You tube has several video on this. Adam Savage has some really good info on how to index the two pieces to each other so they line up properly. He also talks about how to choose where to split the mold. What does that bracket hold? if its a lot of stress or load might want to look into sand mold and casting the part in aluminum.
newmaticarsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Its main purpose is to hold a small monitor on a tredmill. The resin should be strong enough for the function of the part since it is not used as a main bracket to handle stress and or loads.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Make sure the resin you use is the correct one for the job. Smooth-On has many types of materials. For something like a monitor bracket on a treadmill, you need to get something that will be able to handle that.

I'd suggest something like Smooth Cast 380 or 385 or even Smooth Cast Onyx. Won't need more than the 2lb container. Now, you'll need to get some casting rubber. I'd suggest Oomoo 25 or 30. Easy to use and smells kinda nice, ha! If you were doing multiples, I'd suggest a more durable rubber, but this stuff will do you fine (usually good for about 20 pulls.)

Both of the above are mixed by volume, not by weight, so you don't need to worry about getting a scale, just make sure you have the same amount of each part and you're golden.

For that part, you'll have to make it a 2 part mold, so you'll also need some mold release. Might sound funny but if you get some regular KY lubricant (from the drug store), that works great. That'll prevent the molds from sticking together when you pour the second half, otherwise, you'll have to cut the part out (been there, done that. So not cool). It's also water-soluble, so you won't risk the original part getting gucked up.

You'll also need some materials for building walls around your piece and some hot glue to stick them all down with (I also use Lego for building walls around my pieces sometimes). You can also use some thin plywood or whatever else you have lying around that isn't porous and has a flat edge.

Also get yourself some disposable paper or plastic cups/containers of the appropriate size and a few wooden stirring sticks (paint sticks work well for bigger jobs).

Also get yourself a bunch of disposable gloves. This stuff isn't corrosive, but it's a pain to totally wash off. Make sure you cover your work area too as this isn't something you want to get all over a table.

Something very important - make sure your work area is level. If it isn't, your mold will not be level either. Also, make sure you're working in a room-temperature environment. This stuff doesn't give off horribly toxic fumes so working indoors is ok, but if it's too cool or too hot, it'll affect the materials.

Watch some videos on Youtube about how it's all done and you should be good to go.

Molding and casting takes a bit of prep work but it's really not that difficult if you're at all handy. It just takes a bit of brain work to make sure it all goes smoothly. I've done many an item and it's all down to the prep work. Surprises are not cool so just make sure you have everything you need before you start mixing your materials so you don't waste stuff.

Have fun and good luck!

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?

Last edited by CrazyBoy78; 06-25-2018 at 10:57 AM.
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBoy78 View Post
Make sure the resin you use is the correct one for the job. Smooth-On has many types of materials. For something like a monitor bracket on a treadmill, you need to get something that will be able to handle that.

I'd suggest something like Smooth Cast 380 or 385 or even Smooth Cast Onyx. Won't need more than the 2lb container. Now, you'll need to get some casting rubber. I'd suggest Oomoo 25 or 30. Easy to use and smells kinda nice, ha! If you were doing multiples, I'd suggest a more durable rubber, but this stuff will do you fine (usually good for about 20 pulls.)

Both of the above are mixed by volume, not by weight, so you don't need to worry about getting a scale, just make sure you have the same amount of each part and you're golden.

For that part, you'll have to make it a 2 part mold, so you'll also need some mold release. Might sound funny but if you get some regular KY lubricant (from the drug store), that works great. That'll prevent the molds from sticking together when you pour the second half, otherwise, you'll have to cut the part out (been there, done that. So not cool). It's also water-soluble, so you won't risk the original part getting gucked up.

You'll also need some materials for building walls around your piece and some hot glue to stick them all down with (I also use Lego for building walls around my pieces sometimes). You can also use some thin plywood or whatever else you have lying around that isn't porous and has a flat edge.

Also get yourself some disposable paper or plastic cups/containers of the appropriate size and a few wooden stirring sticks (paint sticks work well for bigger jobs).

Also get yourself a bunch of disposable gloves. This stuff isn't corrosive, but it's a pain to totally wash off. Make sure you cover your work area too as this isn't something you want to get all over a table.

Something very important - make sure your work area is level. If it isn't, your mold will not be level either. Also, make sure you're working in a room-temperature environment. This stuff doesn't give off horribly toxic fumes so working indoors is ok, but if it's too cool or too hot, it'll affect the materials.

Watch some videos on Youtube about how it's all done and you should be good to go.

Molding and casting takes a bit of prep work but it's really not that difficult if you're at all handy. It just takes a bit of brain work to make sure it all goes smoothly. I've done many an item and it's all down to the prep work. Surprises are not cool so just make sure you have everything you need before you start mixing your materials so you don't waste stuff.

Have fun and good luck!
Dang. Thats alot of info haha. Ok. I will hit up the craft store and pick up the items.

What im wondering is, do i just bury the whole bracket in liqued rubber or silicon, then when it is dry, somehow cut the bracket out?

Thanks. I want to make sure i get this right haha
Old 06-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Every question you just asked is answered in the video tutorials I linked. More here - https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/

Make sure you watch these all thoroughly, the materials aren't cheap and you'll waste a lot if you aren't informed and prepared.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts