mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

Eh, on Automags, that don't have to worry about rollouts, I just throw on a .687-.690 one piece and call it a day. With field paint being what it is, and all day air besides that, I'd rather just concentrate on actually shooting people than obsessing over barrel kits and bore sizes.
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"

Check out my Instagram art page and give me a like!
https://instagram.com/nealg_illustration
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

You can do both...

Pretty tired if that approach

Buy what makes you happy, at a price you can afford

Freak inserts and a bored barrel of the month has been the most enjoyable for me.
As stated previously, UL backs are a stylin option when you collect them cheaply over time
Fleeting Expertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

From what I understand of the Parabolic Barrels:

- Parabolic is the brand, not a definition of design.

Phi:
- One piece
- 0.005 bore step ups from back to front
- The bore enlargement happens around the magical 8.5" mark
- The step up is placed around the 8.5" mark because that is where the guy making the Parabolic barrels found the test results showing the paintball reaches maximum acceleration before actually being slowed by resistance in the barrel. 8-9" was the sweet spot depending on the marker
- Angled port holes to improve dissipation and clean out after a barrel break more easily

Thin Air
- Two piece
- Flip flop cocker/ion threading (only sold on complete barrel systems at the moment. Singles are cocker/ cocker threaded)
- 0.005 to 0.010 bore steps, back to front, depending on combination of barrel front and backs used
- Angled port holes like the Phi
- These barrels come from the guys behind the Punk Works test (2000's), who were working with "Thin Air Sports," only to have the project retired and the CAD files stored away. Flash forward to 2018, the owners of Thin Air Sports passed the CAD files to the Parabolic designer. Then after some testing and tweaking, the "Thin Air" two piece flip flop barrels were born
- The backs are threaded cocker on one side, ion/luxe on the other. Then they come with two fronts, one threaded as cocker and the other threaded as ion/luxe. The idea being you've got one set that fits a majority of cool markers... or at least anything with those two threads.

Space guns. I should have said space guns.

Last edited by Bang*Bang**; 07-17-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Loves Phantoms

My friends deep in paintball tell me that the Parabolic barrels aren't of high quality; that the anodizing rubs off on some of them. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, "He promoted 1 piece barrels saying they were better than 2, then sells a 2 piece and says it's better than 1 piece".
frd333do33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd333do33 View Post
My friends deep in paintball tell me that the Parabolic barrels aren't of high quality; that the anodizing rubs off on some of them. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, "He promoted 1 piece barrels saying they were better than 2, then sells a 2 piece and says it's better than 1 piece".
First part top post solid. It is a very interesting history indeed.

Also yes, first few runs had thin anno that wore off in rings around the furthest outward spots of the barrel as they rolled around in gearbags but since the start I have not yet had reports of issues inside of the bores thus the shot or performance haven't changed over time.

As for the whole me saying "2 piece better than one piece (I'm sure you mean step bore one piece" that's a solid absolutely not.

I made the two piece for Erik (Thin Air as you stated) but having half of the bores give a .010 step rather than the tested optimal .005, the Chrono numbers haven't done as well as the phi and I have never stated they work better than the Phis design. Only acception is when I mention the weight. The Thin Air has more weight which acts as more of a "compensator" and I think they look way better. Alot of guys would refuse to buy the one piece because they don't think they would fit in their gearbags (uuuh sure?) So the two piece is as close as I've been able to get it.
Same 8.6 inch control bore. Same porting, same over all cost but fit both popular tournament models.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to to ask. The most recent thing I have changed is to have all bore sizes milled in so that when you have them ready anodized, the sizes stay easy to read
griffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Looks like Griffan is Mr. Parabola. And Batman is Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker is Spider man, and Deadpool is a d!ck.

I had a follow-up question to clarify the 0.010 and 0.005 steps he referred to:

BB
One quickie - if Phi and Thin both have same control bore, is the "fanning out" any different on the phi?

Griffan.
Both yes and no.

So the phi always have a step of .005
The thin air have .005 when able and .010 when not

If I wanted to keep the .005 I would need 8 tips per kit (both cocker and luxe threads.)

So as it sits the .675 and .685 both use a .685 tip (so .005 and .010 step respectively) and same with the .685 and .690 back with the .695 tip.

So, in a nutshell, it would appear the Thin Air two piece is adaptable and packs smaller, whereas the Phi maximizes performance slightly more in a larger form factor.

TLDR:

Thin Air for space guns, Phi for pumps.

Last edited by Bang*Bang**; 07-17-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
I'm interested in trying/comparing one of these barrel just to see if it's sheerly a numbers difference or if it's something I would notice in game.

I picked up a Lapco Fuse 2-piece in a .680 bore and it shoots almost anything perfectly well. I'll use the .675 Freak when I have to, but I don't like it as much.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
I have 2 lapco breech sizers in .676 and .680 that I use with a .684 barrel. Whole kit cost me $65 about 5 years ago. When people recommend I get a better kit I just gog them.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

The finish on those Lapco sizers was brilliant. Crazy good. My 680 still sits in front of my 685 bob long on my mvp.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Instill prefer a nice old dye one piece step bore .686. But on other days I have an old sly carbon fiber kit.
d2thearkangel is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts