mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tank regs, am I doing anything wrong?

Ok so, I'll admit I have not had to install too many tank regs in my time (25ish) but my shop recently got some tanks back from hydro and I'm running into a few odd things, just want some outside opinions to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong

One tank is already dead for sure. I went to install the reg, about halfway in it really tightened up, I started using my reg removal tool and after a turn or so thought that it was odd that it was fighting me this much when the reg was only halfway in. Took it back out to find that the threads on both the tank and reg had shredded.

Now, before someone says it must have been cross threaded, it was not. I used calipers to measure the gap on each side once it started getting tight just to make sure. The reg was going in as straight as it could have and was not leaning one way at all.

I'm starting to wonder if there is something the hydro place did you the threads. One of the tanks that came back they had condemned because of the threads, I have another pure every tank that, while screwing in the Ninja reg by hand is tightening up around the halfway mark. Tried a different Ninja reg, same thing

This may be a dumb question but I have always been under the impression that all tank regulator threading was the same, is that true?

Anything else I should try?

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Baller

This is weird. I dont know the answer, but in my experience, hydro-test facilities arent exactly careful with my gear.

It totally sounds like the hydro facility fumbled something up.

Just my .02c.

Edit: have you tried looking down the threads with a flashlight? Maybe theres some debris or something that the hydro process left behind?
Old 09-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Freelance Aphorist

CCM Fan
Tanks expand during the hydro process. Is it possible that even tough they passed hydro, the stretching affected the threads? Just a thought...
Old 09-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_TGM View Post
Tanks expand during the hydro process. Is it possible that even tough they passed hydro, the stretching affected the threads? Just a thought...
I've never heard of it but this is what I'm wondering. The stress of hydro did something

IMG_20180912_153450794.jpegIMG_20180912_153458021.jpeg

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
I need this!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I did work in a metallurgy failure analysis lab for a couple of years.
I don't think you did anything wrong unless you want to take the blame for the hydro tester you picked. It looks like the threads were stressed at some point, maybe by an out of spec fitting at the test facility, and started to come apart. Aluminum will spall when the surface is damaged, meaning the metal starts to separate at the grain boundaries, and little flakes will poke out and get hung up on whatever it's touching. Once spalling starts aluminum will then gall, which is when soft metals deform, stick, and then smear themselves together when under pressure.
Your tank was likely dead on arrival, you just didn't know it yet. Chasing the threads with a tap before you tried the reg might have cleared out spalled material but the end result looks pretty nasty. I'm guessing the threads were tore up to the point of being totally compromised already.
It doesn't help with a remedy at all but that's what I'm seeing there.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Its reading threads like this that makes me happy I paid Ninja to take my tank apart, hydro it and ship it back to me assembled. No, it isn't cheap but at least I know my stupid luck and laughable mechanical skills aren't going to render my tank to a paper weight.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old gear!

I wonder if their fitting was too short, placing all the stress on just a few threads near the end.
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Have you used this before?

It looks like the damafe was done at the tester and you did not know it because who looks at threads when youbscrew a reg on.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Paroxysm

So.. you going back to the hydro tester about this?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts