mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016

Ohhhhh my goodness, the feed tube is not the same as a 10 round tube hahaha i get it! Ok, so i want to focus on the feed neck and then buy 10 round tubes or use something simular
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Landisburg, PA

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Ohhhhh my goodness, the feed tube is not the same as a 10 round tube hahaha i get it! Ok, so i want to focus on the feed neck and then buy 10 round tubes or use something simular
That's how I would do it.
__________________
My Feedback Thread
JonM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016

Holy crap, somewhere along the way i went down the wrong rabbit hole
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016

Wish i had a resin based printer. Making the 10 round tubes would be nothing haha
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Landisburg, PA

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Wish i had a resin based printer. Making the 10 round tubes would be nothing haha
You'll find that there are things worth 3D printing and other that aren't. When you can get an item that's already made for little or nothing that's inherently stronger than any 3D printed part that would take hours to design and print, it's often the better bet to just buy the pre-made item. 3D printing is really best suited for custom parts that don't already exist or for items that would be inconvenient to buy. So, the cram & jam adapter is a good project while the tubes are best bought off the shelf.
__________________
My Feedback Thread
JonM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag
 
Rainmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Huntsville, AL

I gotta agree with Jon on this one. It's definitely fun to try to 3D print everything, but it has its limitations. Not saying that one couldn't print something like 10 round tubes, but the time and effort could be better spent on something that can't be found for $0.50 each on amazon.

That being said, I would still think it's cool if I saw you at the field with a bunch of 3D printed tubes, and would be a conversation starter!
__________________
Dangerous Power G3
PE Etek 3 AM
JT ER2 with 3D printed mods
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You'll find that there are things worth 3D printing and other that aren't. When you can get an item that's already made for little or nothing that's inherently stronger than any 3D printed part that would take hours to design and print, it's often the better bet to just buy the pre-made item. 3D printing is really best suited for custom parts that don't already exist or for items that would be inconvenient to buy. So, the cram & jam adapter is a good project while the tubes are best bought off the shelf.
I agree 100%. To be honest, i think my real reasons are as follows:

I have a 3d printer so why not haha
Practice 3d modeling(just finished cswp class)
Problem solving(i made a tube last night)
Keeps me busy
Fun

Last night, i spent about 1 minute sketching a 10 round tube, then 1.5 hours printing it. Took it off the press and..... no go. It was off by about .01 inches haha. Forgot printers have a tolerance haha

Cost about 15 cents per tube with no caps. So 50 cents for a pre-made one which at this point is lookin nice haha. I think the one issue i have with the premade ones is the rounded bottoms. It remind me of a test tube haha. If it was flat, it would look cooler, but beggers cant be choosers hahaha.
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC