mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Ohhhhh my goodness, the feed tube is not the same as a 10 round tube hahaha i get it! Ok, so i want to focus on the feed neck and then buy 10 round tubes or use something simular
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Ohhhhh my goodness, the feed tube is not the same as a 10 round tube hahaha i get it! Ok, so i want to focus on the feed neck and then buy 10 round tubes or use something simular
That's how I would do it.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Holy crap, somewhere along the way i went down the wrong rabbit hole
Old 12-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Wish i had a resin based printer. Making the 10 round tubes would be nothing haha
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Wish i had a resin based printer. Making the 10 round tubes would be nothing haha
You'll find that there are things worth 3D printing and other that aren't. When you can get an item that's already made for little or nothing that's inherently stronger than any 3D printed part that would take hours to design and print, it's often the better bet to just buy the pre-made item. 3D printing is really best suited for custom parts that don't already exist or for items that would be inconvenient to buy. So, the cram & jam adapter is a good project while the tubes are best bought off the shelf.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

I gotta agree with Jon on this one. It's definitely fun to try to 3D print everything, but it has its limitations. Not saying that one couldn't print something like 10 round tubes, but the time and effort could be better spent on something that can't be found for $0.50 each on amazon.

That being said, I would still think it's cool if I saw you at the field with a bunch of 3D printed tubes, and would be a conversation starter!
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You'll find that there are things worth 3D printing and other that aren't. When you can get an item that's already made for little or nothing that's inherently stronger than any 3D printed part that would take hours to design and print, it's often the better bet to just buy the pre-made item. 3D printing is really best suited for custom parts that don't already exist or for items that would be inconvenient to buy. So, the cram & jam adapter is a good project while the tubes are best bought off the shelf.
I agree 100%. To be honest, i think my real reasons are as follows:

I have a 3d printer so why not haha
Practice 3d modeling(just finished cswp class)
Problem solving(i made a tube last night)
Keeps me busy
Fun

Last night, i spent about 1 minute sketching a 10 round tube, then 1.5 hours printing it. Took it off the press and..... no go. It was off by about .01 inches haha. Forgot printers have a tolerance haha

Cost about 15 cents per tube with no caps. So 50 cents for a pre-made one which at this point is lookin nice haha. I think the one issue i have with the premade ones is the rounded bottoms. It remind me of a test tube haha. If it was flat, it would look cooler, but beggers cant be choosers hahaha.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts