mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

[QUOTE=Dougefreshe;3550705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Lol I saw that. He originally posted it for like $12,000. Seems he has had a change of mind

Even at $20 each though, you still need to sink another $10 or so just to get a ASA on them and then you have......a functioning 50cal paperweight

Did Tippmann even make a 50 cal carver one ?. Im getting old but those in the CL post look like .68 cal.

Thought they only made the ft and cronus and the tmc in 50 cal. But i could easily be wrong.

Edit: Someday im gonna learn how to quote properly.
O don't think a Carver one 50 cal was sold to the public but tippmann will do things different for fields sometimes so I wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe I'll go look at them next time I'm in the area

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

If that hydro... something-or-ever solid paintball ever became a reality that probably would have made .50 cal a real contender. Bump the velocity up to 400-450 to get the same range as .68 and now you've nearly got the perfect hybrid of paintball and airsoft.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC

The indoor places here use 50 for rentals exclusively. Range, accuracy, and clean breaks are all pretty poor. But we still have fun.

Luckily, they have a 68 cal "gun owner" night that I can play with my own gear.

I'm hopeful those kids with their space dildos will make me a better speedball player.......................

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Mike@NDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
If that hydro... something-or-ever solid paintball ever became a reality that probably would have made .50 cal a real contender. Bump the velocity up to 400-450 to get the same range as .68 and now you've nearly got the perfect hybrid of paintball and airsoft.
Solid? The only ones in aware of like this are, I think the JT branded ones, you basically have to hydrate them yourself.

May not be JT, I just did a Google search and could not find them. JT does make a specific paint called the "hydro" though, not to be confused with what I'm talking about

Hydrating your own "paint", as you can imagine, leads to horrifying results considering performance.

They were basically like those "grow a dinosaur" kids novelties but you were supposed to shoot them when they are done

Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Richmond Italia signed a non-compete clause specific to .68 caliber paint when he left draxxus. IIRC it was a 2 year clause.
That's it, that's the only reason. Any other explanation comes from someone who bought the BS.

Yup, expect GI themselves who've come out on top of the industry. Maybe I was wrong and ther was more than one reason...
This is pretty much the core of the story. I will add though that the overall plan included trying to fuel paintball growth in countries that have joule impact limits (i.e. some parts of asia, etc) that were seeing big growths in airsoft, and regular paintball couldn't get a foothold. They royally screwed up when they made the BS performance claims which myself and painthappy, and a few others crunched numbers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woouulf View Post
Also that dude Mike futilelips, ,, Phillips from douchePB was trying to shove it down everyone's throats ..
Actually, he was just 100% a fan of the .50 as he was First Strike rounds, and for completely different reasons (he never bought into the nonsense that Italia and others were spouting). I'm of a similar mind- I believe that recreational, woodsball/MagFed/paintball becomes much more interesting if you have a diversity of projectiles on the field, as they (.50, FS, .68) all have differing strengths and limitations to bring to the field.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Solid? The only ones in aware of like this are, I think the JT branded ones, you basically have to hydrate them yourself.

May not be JT, I just did a Google search and could not find them. JT does make a specific paint called the "hydro" though, not to be confused with what I'm talking about

Hydrating your own "paint", as you can imagine, leads to horrifying results considering performance.

They were basically like those "grow a dinosaur" kids novelties but you were supposed to shoot them when they are done
LOL no no no...

They were called Hydrotec.
https://youtu.be/FOecOcVU-MY

Used Corn Starch and a foam kinda fill. They worked in their infancy and might have been pretty good after a few revisions.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rec Poster

this was an interesting read. I remember getting my Bob Long G6R and seeing a .50cal setting. How the hell was that supposed to work any ways? did you need to buy a new barrel and an insert for the upper tube???
Tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsun View Post
this was an interesting read. I remember getting my Bob Long G6R and seeing a .50cal setting. How the hell was that supposed to work any ways? did you need to buy a new barrel and an insert for the upper tube???
Yes, insert, bolt and barrel and probably the 50cal mode just really reduced the dwell

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts