mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

LTR vs gen1 rotor

quick school me, those with experience.

i am normally a Vlocity guy, if i run any elec hopper, but my sister wants something more modern for her gun, and i am searching options.

the reason for the comparison as the basis for the question is that i get mixed reviews on reliability from people with gen 1 rotors, and while my friend with one has never had an issue out of his, i just think it is ungodly, unnecessarily heavy.

but i run a gog multical, or a vlocityjr lol
440SUPERCOMMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Legit

I have a gen 1, the only problem I ever had with it was the board evenly died after about 7 years of being my primary hopper.

Did some research and it's probably the most common issue when they get that old. New board is $25

I got a new board but did end up replacing it with a spire 3, one of the big reasons was I needed something that would feed reballs, that and I liked some of the features on the 3. I will say though, my wallet did not like that choice.

If you are considering the ltr, I would also throw the spire IR in the ring with it. I have been impressed with the IR. My brother in law uses it

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

thanx for the info, yea, i've been considering the spire ir, the pinokio speed (tops choice), and the LTR. just trying to get some feelers out. i also like the Vmax plus, since it and the pinokio are basically y/z board eggys, but with WAAAAY better plastic, but i worry about the shell staying together during rough play, she is buying it, but inevitably i'll end up using it as well, and will forget i have it and take that dive into the snake, and i don't want it coming apart. i do like it though, and i'm sure she would like the price, but she said 100 max, so i'm trying to be diligent.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would look for a used spire 200. With speedfeed and ramp, should be $80 or less. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation. The rotors are great but are a bit more heavy than the spire but I've never had an issue with the couple rotors I've used.

The vmax plus and speed are great as well. Like you stated, very similar to the old eggy/fasta type hoppers but easier to disassemble. I've used them all but always take my Spires with me to the field.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

When you say Gen1 Rotor, do you just mean a Dye Rotor, of which there were 3 generations, or specifically a Gen1 original Dye Rotor?

You will want a Gen3 Rotor or a LT-R. The differences are minor. If you're buying new just grab and LT-R unless you find a steal of a deal on a cool Rotor.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.

I also work on other markers, PM for info.

Dealer for: Planet Eclipse, Ninja, GI/Empire/Tippmann/etc, Dye, Exalt, GoG, Valken, HK, GXG, CP, Push

PM me if you're looking for something. No, I will not sell it to you for cheaper than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Part of owning a cocker is problem solving
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I really like my IR, but I bought it before Virtue jacked their prices up. I wouldn’t pay over 100 for one with LTRs out there.
wunderbarsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

i mean first generation Dye Rotor vs a current Dye LTR
Old 01-20-2019, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
I really like my IR, but I bought it before Virtue jacked their prices up. I wouldn’t pay over 100 for one with LTRs out there.
You don't need to

https://www.paintballrevolution.com/...xoCKmMQAvD_BwE

My brother in law got one at supergame for $99 and I've always been able to find a site selling them at $99 as long as you are ok only having a few color options

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440SUPERCOMMANDO View Post
i mean first generation Dye Rotor vs a current Dye LTR
You'll want the LT-R then. The LT-R is just a Gen3 Rotor without the small viewing windows and without the decorative metal DYE badges on it.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.

I also work on other markers, PM for info.

Dealer for: Planet Eclipse, Ninja, GI/Empire/Tippmann/etc, Dye, Exalt, GoG, Valken, HK, GXG, CP, Push

PM me if you're looking for something. No, I will not sell it to you for cheaper than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Part of owning a cocker is problem solving
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

can anyone give me a little more info, on where/how dye took the weight out of the original design?

sorry, if that reads weird, wht i mean is, wht makes the gen3/ltr lighter than the gen 1?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts