mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Anyone ever use Parker Super O-Lube?

Is this safe for paintball guns? We use it at work in solenoids, and my brother in law works for Parker, so I can get this stuff pretty easily if it'll work. I just don't want to screw anything up. Lol.

I did some googling, but couldn't find a definitive answer. 20190617_002959.jpg20190617_003008_HDR.jpg
brokeass_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I think it would depend upon the viscosity and what additives are in it.

www.okcompanypaintball.com

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
scphantom9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

It appears to have the same base (or very close) to Dow/Molykote 33, but without the lithium stearate. The lithium is good for metal on metal friction - Dow 33 is a bearing grease, as opposed to a seal grease. The big tube usually means "thick grease", so use it for that, not for marker oil.

I've used Superlube grease for years, but it is fluorinated as an additive. Being silicone based and marked as safe for elastomers, the Parker O-lube will not harm anything in a marker and will protect the seals. Paintball temperatures are not usually a big problem for silicones to start with.

For a fast, new, expensive poppet gun I would stick to the manufacturers lube. For a spool gun that rides on o-rings all of the time, older markers, and pumps, the o-lube should be good.

If you don't clean the bolt often and have a generally dirty playing environment (fine dust and sand), I would go with the lithium additives to try to head off the wear in the long run (breech wear comes to mind). However, people that ask about using a bulk supply of lube are not usually the ones that neglect things.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
AKA ironyusa

I tested it before dye switched over to the new lube they use. It was fine, but does have a relatively low shelf life (from what I recall) and did seem to separate a bit.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
It appears to have the same base (or very close) to Dow/Molykote 33, but without the lithium stearate. The lithium is good for metal on metal friction - Dow 33 is a bearing grease, as opposed to a seal grease. The big tube usually means "thick grease", so use it for that, not for marker oil.

I've used Superlube grease for years, but it is fluorinated as an additive. Being silicone based and marked as safe for elastomers, the Parker O-lube will not harm anything in a marker and will protect the seals. Paintball temperatures are not usually a big problem for silicones to start with.

For a fast, new, expensive poppet gun I would stick to the manufacturers lube. For a spool gun that rides on o-rings all of the time, older markers, and pumps, the o-lube should be good.

If you don't clean the bolt often and have a generally dirty playing environment (fine dust and sand), I would go with the lithium additives to try to head off the wear in the long run (breech wear comes to mind). However, people that ask about using a bulk supply of lube are not usually the ones that neglect things.
Damn. Thanks for the in depth overview. I'd be using on an I'm and an older PMR, so, cool. Hopefully I'll be alright.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
I tested it before dye switched over to the new lube they use. It was fine, but does have a relatively low shelf life (from what I recall) and did seem to separate a bit.
The back of the tube says none of the ingredients are time sensitive, but best results are produced the first year of it's use. So, I guess that'll be fine. I can always get more. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I used it all the time to rebuild regs at the field. Great stuff.
Bow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
I used it all the time to rebuild regs at the field. Great stuff.
It doesn't cause the o rings to swell at all?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old gear!

Siloxane... that's straight silicone oil. Nice. Now I'm wondering how contact solution would do...
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeass_baller View Post
It doesn't cause the o rings to swell at all?
I never had a problem with it. As long as we used 70 or 90 ditto meter we were good.

Same thing applied to the fill stations.
Bow is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts