mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013

Anyone ever use Parker Super O-Lube?

Is this safe for paintball guns? We use it at work in solenoids, and my brother in law works for Parker, so I can get this stuff pretty easily if it'll work. I just don't want to screw anything up. Lol.

I did some googling, but couldn't find a definitive answer. 20190617_002959.jpg20190617_003008_HDR.jpg
brokeass_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
scphantom9195's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Saint Helens, OR

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I think it would depend upon the viscosity and what additives are in it.
__________________
"Only the strong survive. The weak are killed and eaten as fingerfood." SDI SSgt Patterson, USMC Platoon 1077

www.okcompanypaintball.com

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
scphantom9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

It appears to have the same base (or very close) to Dow/Molykote 33, but without the lithium stearate. The lithium is good for metal on metal friction - Dow 33 is a bearing grease, as opposed to a seal grease. The big tube usually means "thick grease", so use it for that, not for marker oil.

I've used Superlube grease for years, but it is fluorinated as an additive. Being silicone based and marked as safe for elastomers, the Parker O-lube will not harm anything in a marker and will protect the seals. Paintball temperatures are not usually a big problem for silicones to start with.

For a fast, new, expensive poppet gun I would stick to the manufacturers lube. For a spool gun that rides on o-rings all of the time, older markers, and pumps, the o-lube should be good.

If you don't clean the bolt often and have a generally dirty playing environment (fine dust and sand), I would go with the lithium additives to try to head off the wear in the long run (breech wear comes to mind). However, people that ask about using a bulk supply of lube are not usually the ones that neglect things.
__________________
My Feedback

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
AKA ironyusa
 
Join Date: Jan 2013

I tested it before dye switched over to the new lube they use. It was fine, but does have a relatively low shelf life (from what I recall) and did seem to separate a bit.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
It appears to have the same base (or very close) to Dow/Molykote 33, but without the lithium stearate. The lithium is good for metal on metal friction - Dow 33 is a bearing grease, as opposed to a seal grease. The big tube usually means "thick grease", so use it for that, not for marker oil.



I've used Superlube grease for years, but it is fluorinated as an additive. Being silicone based and marked as safe for elastomers, the Parker O-lube will not harm anything in a marker and will protect the seals. Paintball temperatures are not usually a big problem for silicones to start with.



For a fast, new, expensive poppet gun I would stick to the manufacturers lube. For a spool gun that rides on o-rings all of the time, older markers, and pumps, the o-lube should be good.



If you don't clean the bolt often and have a generally dirty playing environment (fine dust and sand), I would go with the lithium additives to try to head off the wear in the long run (breech wear comes to mind). However, people that ask about using a bulk supply of lube are not usually the ones that neglect things.
Damn. Thanks for the in depth overview. I'd be using on an I'm and an older PMR, so, cool. Hopefully I'll be alright.
brokeass_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
I tested it before dye switched over to the new lube they use. It was fine, but does have a relatively low shelf life (from what I recall) and did seem to separate a bit.
The back of the tube says none of the ingredients are time sensitive, but best results are produced the first year of it's use. So, I guess that'll be fine. I can always get more. Thanks for the info.
brokeass_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member
 
Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Brass and Wood Fan
I used it all the time to rebuild regs at the field. Great stuff.
__________________
Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Sunkistsniper on XBL and Minecraft. Sunkist_Sniper on PS4.
Bow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
I used it all the time to rebuild regs at the field. Great stuff.
It doesn't cause the o rings to swell at all?
brokeass_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old gear!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas

Siloxane... that's straight silicone oil. Nice. Now I'm wondering how contact solution would do...
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member
 
Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeass_baller View Post
It doesn't cause the o rings to swell at all?
I never had a problem with it. As long as we used 70 or 90 ditto meter we were good.

Same thing applied to the fill stations.
__________________
Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Sunkistsniper on XBL and Minecraft. Sunkist_Sniper on PS4.
Bow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC