mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Question: Paypal safe?

Hey guys,

I wanted to sell local, but have gotten a lot of out of state offers on my gun/gear despite it being a local listing. If I sell to someone and they use PayPal is there a way they can scam me and get PayPal to refund their money?

I appreciate your expertise.

Sincerely - Bill
Old 07-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CBill View Post
Hey guys,

I wanted to sell local, but have gotten a lot of out of state offers on my gun/gear despite it being a local listing. If I sell to someone and they use PayPal is there a way they can scam me and get PayPal to refund their money?

I appreciate your expertise.

Sincerely - Bill
Document everything through paypal. Send them an invoice using Paypal, and make it descriptive. Have them pay, and then print your shipping label using paypal. Never allow them to send the money as a "gift to friends or family". ALWAYS do it as selling a service or product. There's always a way to scam, so use Paypal for everything, so that if you have to start a case against them, you have a paper trail within paypal. Never hurts to get back ground on the person doing the buying. If you found them on a forum, search for feedback. If you met them on Craigslist or Facebook, look up thier employer. Never hurts to be prepared for a fight, but with a few smart steps before hand, shouldn't be a need for one.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deplorable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0711 View Post
Never allow them to send the money as a "gift to friends or family"
can you explain why?

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
can you explain why?
IIRC Buyer protection goes out the window. They drop the fees for friends and family, and as a result you aren't protected because it's assumed you trust the person you're sending it to.
RAZRBAKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
IIRC Buyer protection goes out the window. They drop the fees for friends and family, and as a result you aren't protected because it's assumed you trust the person you're sending it to.
Exactly this.

“Life is full of meetings and partings. That is the way of it.”

Ganon's Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Welcome back buddy! And GanonsGrin is your brother? He is the devil
GanonsGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
Exactly this.

Exactly. It automatically invalidates any protection in EITHER direction.

From the sender "It was a loan to a friend, I want my money back".
From the buyer "It was a gift from a friend, they can't have thier money back".

Either way, you're cheating Paypal out of thier cut, and they won't spend a minute solving an issue when they don't get thier slice.

"PayPal Seller Protection covers you in the event of claims, chargebacks, or reversals that are a result of unauthorized purchases or items your buyer didn’t receive. With PayPal Seller Protection, you are covered for the full amount of all eligible transactions.

If a transaction is eligible for Seller Protection, it will be marked as eligible or partially eligible on the Transaction Details page. If it is marked as partially eligible, you are only protected for items a buyer didn’t receive.

Here are some additional requirements you need to meet for Seller Protection:

You must ship the item to the address on the Transaction Details page.
Even if the buyer sends you a request via email or an eBay message requesting shipment to an alternate address, only ship the item to the address provided in the Transaction Details.
Provide proof of delivery. For transactions of $750.00 or more, you need to provide signed delivery confirmation.
We require online tracking to confirm delivery.
Respond to our requests for documentation and other information in a timely manner.
These requests will be sent to the primary email address on your PayPal account.
Most buyers have up to 180 days to file a dispute with PayPal, although this can be different based on where your buyer is located. Please read the Purchase Protection Policy of the countries where your buyers are based, as these policies will apply to you. "

Last edited by msm0711; 07-28-2019 at 02:25 PM.
msm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
can you explain why?
I think this question is deeper than it appears. It's obvious why a buyer shouldn't send it as a gift, but it isn't obvious why a seller shouldn't. If they send it as a gift and the seller defrauds buyer, doesn't the seller just get to keep the cash?
Old 07-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
One Foot Less

As an addition to the "document everything" aspect. I always take pics and video of the marker before sending out, in operational condition, if it is. I always take pics of the way it's packed. Make sure you pack it well. I insure packages for my own protection. It isn't a bad idea when sending to someone you don't know for signature confirmation.

The "scam" that I have seen being used most often recently is the "it didn't work" scam. Paypal almost always sides with the buyer. Having time stamped video showing it's working condition before going out the door can be helpful.

I think, by and large, there are more good people out there than scammers. I generally take a look at their profile and other information if on FB. On a forum I look at their feedback. I personally wouldn't ship to someone from CL, or the like, but if you do I would ask for a phone number and other info, call them and talk to them. If you feel sketch at any point, don't do it.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
I think this question is deeper than it appears. It's obvious why a buyer shouldn't send it as a gift, but it isn't obvious why a seller shouldn't. If they send it as a gift and the seller defrauds buyer, doesn't the seller just get to keep the cash?
If the seller accepts the payment as a gift, the buyer can still petition Paypal for a refund or cancellation. They can just say they sent it to the wrong email/paypal address. I actually did that recently when paying for some custom work. I misspelled the email address by one letter and the cash went to the wrong account. At this point, Paypal sends the receipient of the money (the seller) a message saying that a refund was requested due to wrongly sent funds. The buyer then has the option of saying "No, the cash was for a payment for a goods or services", at which Paypal replies "No, it wasn't, or it would be declared as such" and we would have gotten a percentage. Not sure where Paypal would side, but it would lay more blame for the fraudulent transaction on the seller, which is not something you want on you when the decision of where the money belongs comes in. In the case of my payment sent to the wrong address, the receipient had no proof of what was being sold, and since the transaction was a "payment", not a "gift", the money was returned to me (though Paypal dragged thier feet for a bit).

Last edited by msm0711; 07-28-2019 at 10:40 PM.
msm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deplorable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0711 View Post
In the case of my payment sent to the wrong address, the receipient had to proof of what was being sold, and since the transaction was a "payment", not a "gift", the money was returned to me (though Paypal dragged thier feet for a bit).
ok, solid replies... explains quite a bit. thanx

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts