mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-07-2019, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

How to start an outlaw field

Hey all, been playing with a coworker lately, and we love going to a paintball field and playing with others, but the nearest field is an hour away.

Long story short, we thought it might be fun to buy a few pump guns that can effectively use 12gram cartridges for games in the woods.

Since this is mcb, i know somebody here has done this, so I was hoping to get some input on decent loaner pumps, issues you have run into, things that made your games better, etc.

We are thinking the rules will be
-pump only
-must chrono less than 280fps
-must wear approved mask
-basic safety training for new players

My guns:
Minimag
2 VSC Phantoms
2 Warsensor G2s
1 Tippmann a5
Mini Orracle
05 Prostock
SP Nerve
SP Toxic Shocker
here4parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well, if you're looking for groups to play with you're going to exclude a lot of people by not allowing semis at your outlaw field.

Or do you mean to make it pump only?

Outlaw fields I've been at usually have a Chrono at 280 rule, mask on field, no mask off field rule, and a run down of game rules, reminder that we are here for fun, avoid overshooting, etc....before the games start.

Be sure wherever the field is it's legal.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
I think the rules you have in place are good, but if you want more players I agree with apamburn that you should open it up if you want to generate more interest. We play primarily pump at our outlaw field, but we don't restrict people in case they get butthurt about pumping. You should hit up member capitalpaintball, he's in charge of our renegade group and would have some good advice.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chicken Hoarder

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
I think the rules you have in place are good, but if you want more players I agree with apamburn that you should open it up if you want to generate more interest. We play primarily pump at our outlaw field, but we don't restrict people in case they get butthurt about pumping. You should hit up member capitalpaintball, he's in charge of our renegade group and would have some good advice.
I second this, capitalpaintball and the other guys from Rhode Island, have a good group and a nice outlaw field.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

a.greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
VP Ragnastock

CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.greenleaf View Post
I second this, capitalpaintball and the other guys from Rhode Island, have a good group and a nice outlaw field.
I third this, Its run so well you don not even know its outlaw.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.greenleaf View Post
<3
Old 11-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds fine. If you use mostly stock Nelson based pumps on 12gs you’ll never have to adjust anything. The low rate of fire will help make up for not having refs or an insurance policy more or less.

Just don’t get (actually) shot by some dipstick “defending his propertay” and you’ll be fine. Actual firearms are my only real concern about unsanctioned paintball. As long as everyone in the surrounding property knows you’re there it’s OK. Don’t go playing with unported Phantoms in the night on someone else’s place. Some wannabe badass will take you out when he’s drunk and “accident” will be your epitaph. This is 2019. Half of the US is packing and extremely trigger happy and that doesn’t even include the cops who are twice as well armed and 10x as scared for their life 24/7. Other than that sort of thing, twisting your ankle on a branch is probably the biggest risk.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for the advice, i'll definitely hit up capitalpaintball. We weren't thinking of having tons of people out, just small groups of like 10 or so friends and coworkers, so i was hoping pump only wouldnt be such a big deal then

My guns:
Minimag
2 VSC Phantoms
2 Warsensor G2s
1 Tippmann a5
Mini Orracle
05 Prostock
SP Nerve
SP Toxic Shocker
here4parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

Id say having a loaner fleet of say 10-12 pumps would be fine, saying you only loan pumps. But if you, your bud, or the co worker that really loved last week and went and bought an azodin/spyder off amazon during the week shows up with their semi, i wouldn't exclude them/their gear on that basis alone. As long as its clear that you are all there for fun, that sort of thing should not matter.
Jmo
440SUPERCOMMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
One Foot Less

I would be of the assumption that you already have a spot picked out to do this? Preferably somewhere privately owned by one of you?

In my own experience, we have had quite a few good renegade fields over the years. Among the biggest downfalls were putting them together on land we didn't own, or didn't have clear permission to use from the actual owner and having to tear it down and relocate. Be on the look out for pipelines, right of ways, extended lot ownership, (BIG ONE) government land...particularly if you mean to improve the area by clearing and adding obstacles.
Be sure that all the people playing are on board with helping do setup and clearing days. Stay on top of having everyone pack every single stitch of what they packed in, back out.

I would not try and limit what marker people bring, just keeping in mind that higher ROF and electronic markers add to the complexity of equipment needed. I would set a reasonable rate cap and just talk individually to people that might be over doing it.

In our own case, and without knowing your local resources for said, we rented a CO2 tank and fill station from the local air supplier. As time went on we invested in SCUBA and fills. Those can be a challenge to get filled if you don't have a supply nearby, where CO2 is easy and cheap to rent via bulk tank. It also helps keep ROF down just due to the nature of the gas.
As far as paint, when we did it regularly it was easy to come by suppliers that would give skid, or half skid pricing. In our own case it was best to have each player "go in" on a portion of said and pickup/store the paint on their own. I suggest a field quality paint.

Beyond all this, be very mindful of your surroundings, particularly if you play on public land. Have a stand down word such that all players are on the same page to immediately come to safety. If police come, be cordial, be mindful of what they say, and be as apologetic as you can....

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts