mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Salty old dog

X-rings vs o-rings

Hello,
i've seen that some people have experimented with using X-rings instead of orings for dyanmic seals and in theory they should provide less friction and better lubricity for the same size(but that YMMV depending on your marker).

i was considering this for the ram oring and forward sealing ring on my borg 07 as well as the multitude of dynamic orings for the stock bolt Quest -bolt sail, chamber separation, etc- (even so that bolt has almost zero friction as it is).

And for the regulators in the piston oring(LPR/HPR), anything that helps with recharge is appreciated.

¿what have been your experiences with this?
Eliminateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Only time I've run into these was on the x-93 bolt kit in my matrix. They work, but I also never used an o-ring in place of an x-ring to compare.? It would make sense that it would hold lube better and has 2/3 the surface area for less friction. The only negative I've heard is that they could have more tendency to roll out, but I think that's more of an issue with dry rings.
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Salty old dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdave06 View Post
The only negative I've heard is that they could have more tendency to roll out, but I think that's more of an issue with dry rings.

from what i've seen it's the opposite, X-rings don't have the tendency to roll and pinch like orings, then again they need to be properly lubbed
Eliminateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

motorcycle chains have been using these for years, have one on mine-works well. never seen them on an airtight (pneumatic) system though. seems to me there would be slightly less sealing surface compared to regular orings and would probably be more prone to leak. would likely have to change them more often too
WORR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old gear!

They're great for holding lubricant and have better sealing - air pressure tends to energize the lips, but the form shifts easily under compression. They don't roll, either, so you won't get spiral failure.

They're contraindicated for anything passing over a hole or area change, though. For example, terrible idea on a Spyder striker or Morph poppet. They tend to tear or pinch more easily.

So, I think they'd work well on the Borg ram. Now you have me curious about mine. But the spoolie bolt may not work well, depending on port location.
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

try it out and see if anything changes.
Ive been thinking of these for the A1 FLY ram.
Tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I used them on my matrix because people that shot matrixes alot said that they were better. Maybe they were. They felt cool on that gun.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts