mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Make Paintballs Big Again

Snipers using "overbore"+detents/wedgits. Share your exerpiences

I have a bunch of anti roll-out fingers and haven't used any yet.

I got the itch to build a simple Sniper with a classic/old school aesthetic and am leaning towards using a Boomstick.

I will be using a 68/4500 tank, so being mega efficient isn't a concern.

Would like to hear experiences of others using Snipers with a way to prevent rollouts + a larger bore, older barrel + smaller paint sizes.

The places I play sell iffy paint, sometimes it's decent, sometimes it's a mess. As I understand it, overboring helps with crud paint.

I would also like to just throw on the barrel and get on the field, not mess with inserts, sizers, barrel backs.

Thanks!

MCB +42/-0
PBN +56/-0
eBay +487/-0
iamthelazerviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
ZelRolFox’s Given.

Easiest DIY I’ve ever done is e tape on the inside of the barrel.
Or clear nail polish, couple of dots on the inside of the bore where it starts helps also.
Otherwise I’d spend $ on widgets.
And most of what I use are old school boomies.
d2thearkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Short answer: it works great.

My main open class pump is a sniper with a J&J two piece barrel (.690 bore). I bought the gun for its particular aesthetic from Blizzard so it was important to me that I could use that specific barrel. I put Freedummy detents in the gun and they have never let me down. I haven't broken a ball with the gun that wasn't weather/moisture related and I have not had a single rollout.

One thing worth noting is if you have a very tight setup (as in the balance between your reg and your springs) you may have to do more in-depth tuning simply because you are wasting more air with each shot. I had to throw a heavier main spring in my sniper to get it up to velocity using the detents vs. boring, but once I did it works great.

That sniper has become my "grab-and-go" gun when I just want to get out and play and not worry about specifics or paint quality. It shoots anything I've stumbled across well, but keep in mind I rarely use ultra-brittle paint.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post

One thing worth noting is if you have a very tight setup (as in the balance between your reg and your springs) you may have to do more in-depth tuning simply because you are wasting more air with each shot. I had to throw a heavier main spring in my sniper to get it up to velocity using the detents vs. boring, but once I did it works great.

Excellent!

To address the part quoted above, were you initially using stock WGP main spring or was it something lighter?

MCB +42/-0
PBN +56/-0
eBay +487/-0
Old 12-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthelazerviking View Post
Excellent!

To address the part quoted above, were you initially using stock WGP main spring or was it something lighter?
I tried a few different setups. The first springs were the ones includes with the CCM lowers kit and I could't get the velocity to a usable level, then I tried Maggot's springs and had similar issues. Eventually pbryne gifted me a few random stiff main springs and after some trial & error (and HPR sweet spotting) I finally found a combination that gave me a nice range (260-310) to work with. I've been able to use CCM lowers springs on other guns with finger detents that have shot up to speed no problem so it may have just been that particular build. Your results may vary.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Power Lurker

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I like them if I am shooting a mixed bag of paint sizes.
I was an early tester on the PPS insertable wedgits. They worked well for me!

MCB Feedback
Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Over bore with detent of some form will be your most forgiving setup. I like to be just slightly overbored this gives the most consistant shot to shot fps but is not mandatory. Tape works well and is infinitely configurable but I have and now use Freedummy's detents on those barrels that need something.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I think that it is the best setup. My wedgited palmer barrels always outshot my insert barrels.

With a pump it makes a big difference because one batch of paint will have balls rolling out and others needing major force to load into the insert. With wedgits or detent fingers they work the same over a wide range.

Not as efficient as a tight underbore, but it is super consistent FPS wise and lets your pump stroke remain consistent.

I would use the same barrel I use in an open bolt gun, like a .687 to .689

You will be extremely happy with the dummy rings

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
I think that it is the best setup. My wedgited palmer barrels always outshot my insert barrels.

With a pump it makes a big difference because one batch of paint will have balls rolling out and others needing major force to load into the insert. With wedgits or detent fingers they work the same over a wide range.

Not as efficient as a tight underbore, but it is super consistent FPS wise and lets your pump stroke remain consistent.

I would use the same barrel I use in an open bolt gun, like a .687 to .689

You will be extremely happy with the dummy rings
Awesome, this is what was going through my head so it's nice to have some confirmation.

MCB +42/-0
PBN +56/-0
eBay +487/-0

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts