mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

I had a Fanz FlexR that loved until it got damaged in my luggage. 1 small battery it would run all day no problem. Quiet and effective.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Where's Tug Contest Winner

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
The Fanz kit is nice if you ever need to repair it. One thing it has going for it is that it uses off the shelf parts. A new battery box, some heat shrink tubing and a soldering iron and my old kit was good as new for my son to use.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
This was a good thread to discover after recently needing to start wearing glasses for the first time. Thermal lenses have always worked for me but holy hell I never knew just how bad glasses can screw you over out there.

Do y'all use any anti-fog coatings in conjunction with your fans? I've tried FogDoc a few times but besides bleeding painfully into my eyes it didnt seem to make much difference on it's own.
VSS Vintorez Closed Bolt Mech Ion | Magfed AGD FrankenMag | M14 Mech Ion | First Strike Round Ammo Can | Feedback
Calavera357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera357 View Post
This was a good thread to discover after recently needing to start wearing glasses for the first time. Thermal lenses have always worked for me but holy hell I never knew just how bad glasses can screw you over out there.

Do y'all use any anti-fog coatings in conjunction with your fans? I've tried FogDoc a few times but besides bleeding painfully into my eyes it didnt seem to make much difference on it's own.
Not with my ExFog. I really haven't had to. When I first got my kit, I wore my mask and glasses while on the elliptical and worked out for twenty minutes. Despite the foam being soaked in sweat and me breathing heavily, my glasses stayed clear.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
I have been using fog doc for the past 10 years on and off (depending on how worn out the stock anti fog gets on my lens). I found it works best with the spray cleaner and then applying the paste, letting it sit in a dry environment for a few hours, buffing it off, and letting it sit for a few more hours before use.

I plan on trying out some of the other diving anti fog paste later in the future.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've made my own and used JT Fans over the years with mixed results. The problem with most fan systems is if you mount them to your goggles they inhibit natural air circulation. So if you have them mounted you pretty much have to use them all of the time and I find the noise distracting. So I only use them in situations where I know the humidity is so bad that fogging probability is at unity. The Exfog system might be a good alternative but it looks fairly bulky, I'd have to get one in my hands and test it out to form any real opinion.

There are things you can do to mitigate the issue:
  • Move, get out from behind cover and keep moving. Most of the time I fog when I'm standing around or hunkered down in cover; the worst time to fog. This is the big one for me and one of the reasons I do not like static games.
  • When it is safe to take your mask off take them completely off your head. Most of the heat and moisture comes off the top of your head so propping goggles up on your forehead is just making conditions that promote fogging.
  • Have a spare set of goggles and switch between the two of them. I usually play only a couple games before I swap mine and let the ones I was using to dry out before I switch back.
  • Unscented antiperspirant lightly applied to your forehead and upper cheeks before a day of play minimizes perspiration into your goggles.
  • Dump the visor, I used to think I needed a visor but for what benefits it gives me the downside of blocking natural air flow far out ways the benefits so I just stopped using them completely

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List

Last edited by Grendel; 01-03-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well, this makes me think I should at least pick one up to give it a try.

Grendel - I hadn't really thought about the visor being an issue, maybe ill look into that more.

Do you guys run them the whole time you're playing, or just if you start to get some fog?
Old 01-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by autococker04 View Post
Well, this makes me think I should at least pick one up to give it a try.

Grendel - I hadn't really thought about the visor being an issue, maybe ill look into that more.

Do you guys run them the whole time you're playing, or just if you start to get some fog?
I ran the Fanz kit only when needed to conserve my 9v battery. I will run the ExFog all day since it has a long lasting rechargeable battery.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

The FlexR is not so easy to repair.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
The FlexR is not so easy to repair.
The FlexR is different than the Fanz kit I have. The plain Fanz kit consists of two 20mm fans connected to a 9v battery box. In my case, the battery box broke apart from years of use. I was able to solder on a new battery box just like the ones they use to make it like new again. In retrospect, had I known then what I know now, I could have made my own kit for half the price.

https://www.fanzkit.com/FANZ_DF20_Do...4_3124535.aspx

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts