mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shadowbox PB/Author

Send a message via AIM to cfos00

Bottle Reg Absolutely Won't Move

Hey guys-

Ran into a problem I haven't had to deal with before. I'm pulling my hero 2 reg off my hero 2 bottle to replace with a powerhouse. At least I am trying. This thing absolutely will not budge. I took it completely apart, and frankly do not care if I destroy the myth reg. I tried a strap wrench, which has worked every other time. No dice. Then I tried screwing into a plug and using a hammer with the bottle in a vice. Nothing. Then I figured it has to be red loctited on, so I heat gunned it for about 20 minutes then grabbed it with channel locks. Still won't move and carved up aluminum. Took it to a hardware store. We clamped it down again and tried to use a plug and 3 foot pry bar, which just tore the aluminum around the bolt.

I am pretty much out of ideas here. Anyone else out there have a clue as to what could have happened here and what to do? It's only been used in the backyard, and just aired up and shot dry. There's not much use here. I am baffled.
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

You do know they are reverse threaded right?
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Shadowbox PB/Author

They aren't. Pulled one off my other FS bottle today to make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills, unless they changed between the hero and hero 2. They're threaded the same as any other bottle.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

Just messing with you. I
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shadowbox PB/Author

You say that, but that went through my head like 5 times before deploying the heat gun. Could use your muscle on this one. I'm about to drill through it, add a steel rod, clamp it down, and start going ham on it. Have an email over to FS too. This has me a bit angry.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shadowbox PB/Author

Not-so-fun update. They use frickin' loctite on something that absolutely doesn't need it. Back to the heat gun to try and break the stuff, then brute force. Ugh.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos00 View Post
Not-so-fun update. They use frickin' loctite on something that absolutely doesn't need it. Back to the heat gun to try and break the stuff, then brute force. Ugh.
A lot of companies loc tight their regs on, dumb ones use red.

I talked to ninja on this matter actually, it's been a few years but if I remember right they were fine with or without loc tight on their regs but specifically said blue if I am going to use it.

For you, my big concern at this point is going to be the threads in your bottle of you are having to put that much pressure on it. The last time I had to put anywhere near what you are describing as far as force on a reg, the threads were jacked up when I eventually got it off. Had to condemn the bottle

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shadowbox PB/Author

I'm afraid of that too at this point, but it's not like doing anything else is going to get the bottle loose either. Literally just had my heat gun die (ugh), so trying 20 minutes of boiling. If that doesn't work, I'm mailing it to first strike. Really disappointed that it's come to this point. There is no reason whatsoever to use threadlock on a bottle. It's unnecessary.

Update: Did not work. Sending it to First Strike.

Last edited by cfos00; 02-03-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Not Legit

Yeah I had a lot of trouble pulling the valve off mine, though not nearly as much as you have. I just threw the tank in a vice (padded of course), and used a CP reg removal block thing and a monkey wrench. It came off but with much more force than most other tanks.

As an aside, when putting the new reg on, be careful to remove as much of the red loctite residue from the bottle. It'll make it much harder to screw the new valve in. It felt almost like I was crossthreading/stripping mine. It terrified me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
Yeah I had a lot of trouble pulling the valve off mine, though not nearly as much as you have. I just threw the tank in a vice (padded of course), and used a CP reg removal block thing and a monkey wrench. It came off but with much more force than most other tanks.

Do this the other way around, makes life easier if you ask me, reg removal tool in the vice, strap wrench around tank

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts