mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to ModestMike

Autococker operation questions.

Hi there. I am at the research stage of a pistol project of mine and am wondering what the stroke length and bore size of a typical autococker cylinder is.

Also I was wondering what actually returns the trigger (into the ready to fire position) on a mechanical cocker. I think the 3 way might have some type of internal pilot that pushing the 3 way rod to return the trigger but I can't be sure. Maybe a spring? I've viewed more than one of the cocker animations on the net but I must be missing something. Thank you in advance.
ModestMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
blah

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
I don't know the ram specs, and it might be hard to define typical as sizes do vary by age and manufacturer, though stroke should be the same for all of them.

To answer your second question, the trigger is returned by a spring inside the gripframe. It is typically a small spring pushing directly on the trigger plate. The 3-way is just a switch and there is no internal mechanism to move anything. It is all the trigger return spring.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

A typical ram would be 3/8" bore, and 1" stroke.

The autococker trigger has 2 springs. One for the sear, and one for the trigger. At least for sliders. Perhaps swingers only need a single spring?

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old gear!

Swingers only need a single spring... many have two though. Keeps things from sticking, I assume.

SMC makes rams that are pretty decent, I've heard (Sandridge cockers used em), and you'd want a 3/8" bore, 1" throw, dual acting, probably. Although a spring-return single acting might be interesting... Pinch paint easily.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Clippard, Pneumadyne, and Bimba also make sutable rams. The important thing is the dual-acting 1" stroke. Differences in bore can be corrected by adjusting pressure.

Note: Cocker rams tend to use an oddball thread though. Not the 10/32 that seems to be the industry standard.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to ModestMike

Sounds rad everyone. I'm familar with Clippard and Bimba rams from when I did 2 way E-bolt conversions in Tippmanns. Those were 1 1/4 stroke double acting and bumpered with a 5-40 thread. I thought about going with a spring returned cylinder due to space constrants but autococker parts can be found for pretty cheap so I'm going to take that route. Thanks for the help everyone.
ModestMike is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts