mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
John Wayne-like charm

Sheridan valve position?

Alrighty, so I have a KP that I had to pull the valve out because someone decided to cross thread the hell out of the valve retaining nut. I got it out, cleaned the threads, now how the devil am I supposed to get it sitting properly? I mean the right distance in, the airways lined up and all that jazz without completely tearing down the gun?

Tips? I'm gonna have to do this with a nasty project also so you'll be helping me twice. You can use this as credit toward your daily good deeds.
Levon12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

don't worry about lining up the airways unless the valve has been modified and by modified i mean certian ports have been plugged and others opened up bigger.

the distance is set... just screw it in until it is tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
John Wayne-like charm

I wasn't very clear when I said took it out. I took out the entireassembly. I took a torch and cooked out the solder and knocked the sleeve out of the tube. It's nothing but brass tube there now. No valve pieces what so ever. None. The valve nut threads were cross-threaded so I had to take it out and chased the threads with a needle file to get a valve nut to thread in.

So now I am wondering if anyone has sucessfully re-soldered in an old valve sleeve back into place and how they did it. I'm hoping I wont have to tear the gun completely apart. But if I do, it just means I'll be using much more solder.

For those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about I'll have pictures as soon as photobucket finishes loading.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
John Wayne-like charm

Note, this is NOT a cartridge valve. I had to melt out the solder to knock that out of there to fix the threads that the retaining nut threads in to.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Send a message via AIM to Stuffy

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Yes. Plenty people have. Clean up the valve housing so its raw brass then slide it back into place so the air port in the housing was alligned with the port in the body. There's a hole on the bottom of the valve tube, infront of where the nutsert hole was where you can drizzle in some liquid flux. Then apply heat to the area, add solder to the hole and the solder should flow asquare the valve housing. Make sure you have something in the air port, like an alluminium messuring pin or something that'll keep the solder out.

To get the air ports lined up you can use a 1/8" peice of rod bend at a 90 degree angle as a gauge.
You can always go the easier route and just use a cartridge valve now.

/ Feedback / Portfolio / Channel / A Review / WTB: Green JT IZE-Flex Mask/Parts! /

Last edited by Stuffy; 04-01-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
I've porked many

You could always just solder it back in and just drill another transfer port. That way you would not have to worry about lining it up.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

oh... you took the torch to it... nevermind my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts