mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just my personal POV:

At the time the market for Ducks was basically zero. Couldn't find one, and if you could it was usually a Kamikaze Shooter or Shooter friend who owned it and wouldn't sell it.

The guys from Hawaii like: Ronin, Tropical Lightning, Combat Crew, etc. IMHO are the ones who started the 2nd wave of Duck collecting. Matt Luber and some of the 808 boys were heavily influenced by the playing style of guys like Derrick Obatake from the Kamikaze Shooters. Just as in any other sport, peeps like to be equiped in the same way as the people they are influenced by. When price wasn't an object, people started selling and the market went crazy...
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

cool. thanks. i was just wondering what they cost to buy one new. i've read somewhere that it would cost $2000 to get one now. that's if Carter will even build one for you.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Shiba, so the second wave of ducks is when most of the stock class ones came out? That would make sense that the Ronin, Combat Crew etc fueled that as all the ones I've seen out in Hawaii have been SC.

c6: I think it was on www.cartermachine.com that they mention that Earon would build one for 2000. It says "when he has time" - in the FAQ.
Raynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman View Post
Shiba, so the second wave of ducks is when most of the stock class ones came out? That would make sense that the Ronin, Combat Crew etc fueled that as all the ones I've seen out in Hawaii have been SC.

c6: I think it was on www.cartermachine.com that they mention that Earon would build one for 2000. It says "when he has time" - in the FAQ.
Yeah. I think I've told this story before, but we (Kamikaze Shooters) entered a squad into the 1st stock gun league that they held at SC Village. If memory serves me correctly that was in 1993. It was 12g/rock-n-cock. So although we didn't use them the first weekend, Dave Loo was able to put his, Derrick Obatake, and my Stock Ducks together in time for the 2nd weekend. Those were the first three. I believe Dave Yorita (Team America / SC Village head ref.) got the forth one shortly after that. In his garage, Dave had to mill out a channel on the outside shroud of the Duck to place the feed tube. Then he took the parts over to a shop here in Torrance for welding to attach the tubes to the gun. In the meantime I had contoured & checked Derrick's and my trigger frames, so once the parts got back from the welder it was off to the anodizer. So it all took a little bit of time to get things done.

Team Generic (Grizwalds: Duck Head, Jessica Sparks, & Doc among others) ended up playing with Earon's creations. An as I recall, that's where the stock Buzzard and Comp style Carters got their start.

The Carters at the time had approximately 12" barrels w/ the reverse Smartparts porting spirals. It was quite obvious to us (on the receiving end) that we were getting less range with our Ducks then the Carters were getting, but as we always prided ourselves as an upclose and personal kinda team, it didn't bother us immediately. Of course hindsight is always 20/20 and as the games were held on the very open "Iraq" field, in retrospect the additional range of the Carters was problematic.

We won the regular season off of the strength of our first couple weeks play where we had basically waxed everybody mercilessly. But when the one day "Finals" came up we didn't play so great, Generic played awesome, and we took home 2nd place.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Shiba-kun I enjoy reading your posts, It feels like being at the fields, and listening to the stories from the old ronin and tropical lightning players, please enlighten us with more!

ps there's going to be a Carter Invitational in Hawaii during the summer of 2007

Hawaiian Pump Daddy

I Cheat! I Play Pump!

Allan Quatermain: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
"If you can't do it with one bullet, don't do it at all."

My Toys

Hui Ikaika Paintball's MySpace
Big Pun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pun View Post
ps there's going to be a Carter Invitational in Hawaii during the summer of 2007
Oh damn!
Raynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
"What was the price of a new Duck back in the day?"
On his second trip to Hawaii (I believe 1987), Dave brought 2 Slam Ducks with him which he personally built for two of my original "Kaahekili*" team members. Randal O. later sold his to a "Blitztoons" player for something like $1400.00 during the mid-'90's. The other Slam Duck is still owned and used in games by Mike T. who relocated to Virginia where he works as the Chief Editor for the USA Today Sports Department. Both guns were originally sold to my friends by Dave for $350.00 each.

Yes, Ken "Kidd" has made his home here in Hawaii and periodically stops by my field to talk story and down brews with us after hours ("Kidd" is not his real last name, but a nickname he picked up when he was playing for Navarone alongside another "kid" and childhood friend, Dave Youngblood). Ken's doing extremely well and he and his wife are in good health. If you need to reach Ken, forward me your contact info and I'll make sure he gets it.

* "Kaahekili" is Hawaiian for "Rolling Thunder" and was the name of my field pump team circa '84-'90. Local pump tourneys were all 5-man affairs back then. Throughout '84 to '90, my team (4 guys and a girl) dominated (actually, "kicked the bejesus out of all the Hawaii teams, including those teams that grew in prominence only AFTER we retired") all local Hawaii play and placed first in every tourney held in Hawaii during those years with the exception of one. That tourney was a joint event hosted by my field and SC Village in '89 (?). The event showcased Dennis Bukowski's (SC Village) new "Speedball" format, the precursor of modern tourney play of today. Anyway, we placed 3rd behind "General Joe's" squad and got mauled by Derrick Obatake, Dave Loo, and the rest of the Kamikazi Shooters squad that made the trip over from SoCal. At that '89 event, both my entire squads had been already using 14" barreled Carter Comps for about a year. Coolest guns at the time! And I don't know what to say to this, but Derrick still looks the SAME now as he did back then! Probably got a Dorian Gray painting in his gear bag. "Kaahekili" was retired in '90. However, I've just recently resurrected my team name and along with a couple of die-hard pumpgun friends, are presently conducting try-outs and practices to form up two new squads to play under my Hawaii All-Star banner. Soon, these new squads will be put to the test against cool Hawaii teams such as "Hui Ikaika" and of course, "Rapture" which placed first at the 2006 OSC - Hawaii All-Star tourney. We will also travel to become active in OSC, Carter, and other mainland based pump events.

Aloha,

Brandon Cayetano aka "808star"
Hawaii All-Star Paintball Games
Honolulu, Hawaii

Dave, a skinnier Me, and Tim Stone - Dave's 2nd trip to Hawaii, 1987. During this trip, Dave gave me his personal gun which turned out to be the working prototype for the undercocking Carter Comp. I miss him very much.

Last edited by 808star; 02-13-2007 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Bad sentence structure @ 2:30AM.
808star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

Watch out for Kaahekili, I hear Drunkpile is doing wonders with them! Good Luck B!

Hawaiian Pump Daddy

I Cheat! I Play Pump!

Allan Quatermain: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
"If you can't do it with one bullet, don't do it at all."

My Toys

Hui Ikaika Paintball's MySpace
Big Pun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

I was flipping through the March APG today at the store and there was an article on pump guns and down in the corner of the page there was a picture of two Desert Ducks and the caption read "Two new Desert Ducks" I was like and for a moment got really excited, then decided it was too good to be true lol They must have meant "newer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Broken down old pballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
I was flipping through the March APG today at the store and there was an article on pump guns and down in the corner of the page there was a picture of two Desert Ducks and the caption read "Two new Desert Ducks" I was like and for a moment got really excited, then decided it was too good to be true lol They must have meant "newer".
Was that the March 2006 APG?
Demonio is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts