mcarterbrown.com  

ATS AT-85 AT-10 AT-6 AT-4

Old 04-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #81 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmic View Post
Not to be a naysayer against design. I really love this project and hope to continue to see the creativity of the community. Granted the chain fed design is a VERY complicated design, but it is a very unique way of dealing with the balls themselves. The feed is indexed perfectly to the bolt (eliminates the need for electronics sensors {eyes} to time the bolt). With the chain system, there is little to no pressure on the balls while they are in the magazine. Springs push the balls against themselves, over time (depending on environments and the inherent imperfections of manufacturing a semi-solid/semi-gel/semi-liquid (hopefully spherical) container for a liquid with the consistency of snot that is trying to eat is way out of the shell from the get go) will cause the balls to deform (your timing varies with everything including the last time that butterfly on the other side of the planet farted). Not a matter of if, but a matter of when. One of the keys to accuracy is keeping the ball size to barrel size consistent, so anything preventing ball deformity is an improvement.

Again just a though, not knocking any of the new designs based on springs. They are much simpler to design, maintain and manufacture.
For paintballs, I agree with you, and plan to use the chain-drive mags until there's no possible way to get them to work anymore.

I do want a decent spring-mag adapter for FSR's though. I know at least the vertical part of the chain can feed them, but I haven't found a good solution for loading them. Their stiffer shell doesn't have the same issues with deformation....

EDIT: Sines, I just read through your whole thread. Regarding the chopped forward loader on your first gun, that's how Gumby was running his back in '02. I believe he had an AT10-length (or possibly custom-length) barrel though, as his barrel ended just in front of the modified "handguard" instead of sticking way out like that one. If I had to guess, your gun belonged to someone who saw his and wanted to replicate it. I haven't been able to find pictures, so I'm going by memories of an event 15 years ago, but it was a thing at one time...

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.

Last edited by Arsenal; 04-04-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #82 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Arsenal, you are correct I am referring to regular paintballs, not First Strikes. First Strikes could work well with springs since they do not deform and there is no way to guarantee with the current chain loading system of the ATS, that the First Strike rounds will orientate themselves correctly as they traverse through the magazine.

If it is the little custom thing that Gumby had, it is a custom gun he built for himself. It is even smaller than an AT-10. That barrel is flush with the mini forward loaders he custom built for himself. The gun itself could fit inside of a ball-cap.
zenmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #83 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmic View Post

If it is the little custom thing that Gumby had, it is a custom gun he built for himself. It is even smaller than an AT-10. That barrel is flush with the mini forward loaders he custom built for himself. The gun itself could fit inside of a ball-cap.
Like I said, it was 15 years ago that I saw it up close and personal. I may be fuzzy on the details...

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #84 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Messing around again. ATS Machine Pistol, custom short barrel.

RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ATS