mcarterbrown.com  

ATS AT-85 AT-10 AT-6 AT-4

Old 04-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

What are the current options for FSR-compatible magwell adapters?

I know I talked with LordKyle about his Drum42 adapter last year, but ADN is sold out of drums and not producing any more.

So what other options are there?

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

There really isn't anything that would work as an adapter. Nearly all the mags on the market feed from the front half of the mag, where the ATS feeds from the rear.

Notable exceptions to this are the DAM and the Hammer 7 (which incidentally, is why a DAM'd Hammer is possible/popular). Neither of these fit in the ATS magwell in a way that lines up with the breach. The DAM is the closest, but it's so close to the size of an ATS mag that there's no way an adapter would fit, it would be too skinny (even if feeding could be sorted out).

The only two realistic options that I see are new mags for FSR, or a new forward receiver for a different mag (most likely DAM). I'm working on both. I've got a functioning FSR mag, just haven't modded my breach yet to test it out. Still working on replicating the ATS body, it's harder than it looks.

moratact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Crap. Is the DAM or Hammer mag alignment close enough to feed if the exterior were built up to the dimensions of the ATS mag? I wouldn't care much if it was a permanent mod rather than an adapter.

I may have to try it. I think I have a cracked ATS shell I could sacrifice; maybe I can get the feed ports aligned and epoxy the mag inside the gutted shell.

I thought someone had a Tipx mag adapter, but now that you mention it, he may not have had it feeding FSR's.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

No, both of them feed too far forward in the ATS magwell even when they are all the way back. The Tipx mag adapter solved the problem by flipping the mag around to face backwards, but of course then FSR won't work (they would point towards the rear of the marker).

The DAM mag is very very close, and if you tilted the mag backward in the magwell, it might be possible. But then you'd be feeding at an angle and not tight up against the breach. So you'd lose the last FSR out of each mag, or have to come up with a weird detent like a 468 DMAG setup.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by moratact View Post
No, both of them feed too far forward in the ATS magwell even when they are all the way back. The Tipx mag adapter solved the problem by flipping the mag around to face backwards, but of course then FSR won't work (they would point towards the rear of the marker).

The DAM mag is very very close, and if you tilted the mag backward in the magwell, it might be possible. But then you'd be feeding at an angle and not tight up against the breach. So you'd lose the last FSR out of each mag, or have to come up with a weird detent like a 468 DMAG setup.
Bleh. Well, your design looks great... Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with that project.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

You can cannibalise a broken shell to make one. I used a manual retraction string to lower​ the follower and lock it off.

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Ok, I realize I'm beating a dead-ish horse here, but I just had another thought, so bear with me:

How thick is the top of the body just above the feed port? Is there enough material there to thin it out enough for one of these to fit (sorry, I can't get to mine at the moment)?

The SSR mags definitely look narrow enough front-to-back to feed properly through a magwell adapter, and since it's retained with a detent rather than a release lever, it obviates the need to cobble a release into the adapter; the only hurdle I see is the "hood" over the round (the magazine itself becomes the upper wall of the chamber in this system).

Thoughts?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

That does look like it would be able to line up, but since the mag becomes the "chamber", some pretty extensive mods to the bolt sleeve would need to be done. There's room for it, I think. But I'm not sure how the bolt sleeve would hold up, missing it's front end.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
This IS my serious face!

The ADN gen2 drum design will allow for a much easier modding. It's getting rid of the dovetail that makes it hard to make tops for and going for a flat universal connection system so it will allow for making mods and tops and that sort of stuff a lot easier. So I don't see why Kyle wouldn't be able to make an ATS top for the gen 2 drum.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I was also thinking about using the gen2 ADN magwell to make magwell adapters for the ATS. I mean, I'm going to make a drum version anyway, why not also slap a whatever well on there too?

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ATS