mcarterbrown.com  

ATS AT-85 AT-10 AT-6 AT-4

Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

new at85 owner, having issues

hello, i recently bought a couple at85 markers (maybe old ts1s? the lot came with a "tagline" hard case, but no manual) and have a couple problems with them.

one has an airleak from somewhere near the back but it didnt look like there were any bad seals when i opened it up. maybe something in the regulator? but that's over my head currently.

the other one airs up and cycles, but doesn't fire properly. it sounds like a full power shot, but the paintball doesnt leave the barrel. it just rolls out when i point the marker down. i figure some kind of timing is off, but i dont have the first clue what to look at.

i hope you fine folks can help me out with these, i've wanted an ats since i was a kid and it'd be awesome to get one on the field!
Stoss55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think i might be missing the unisizer, or maybe it's stuck inside the reciever.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Look down the ASA at the air intake, is there a copper mess (filter) then it will be a TS-1 and is designed to run off of CO2, not HPA. For HPA there is a different regulator. The gun is designed to run off of High-Pressure and there is an additional regulator on the gun. there should be a silver bolt (holding the gun up-side down) on the right-hand side of the lower receiver that uses a small allen key to adjust. There is a mark that indicates zero, it should always be at zero.

The original TS-1 came with three different sizing rings, instead of the unisizer. Check the barrel threads. The threads for the sizing rings are very fine, check those threads for any damage.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

it looks like there is a copper/gold filter inside both the ASAs. so i'll need a CO2 tank with an antisiphon or is it supposed to use liquid CO2? can I adjust the output pressure on an HPA tank in the mean time to test it out?

the silver reg bolts dont look like they have a zero mark. one looks like it has a chip in it, the other is totally clean. if that chip is the zero mark, is it supposed to be lined up with the mold line on the reg?

the barrel threads seem to be in good condition. no extra sizers came with the package, and upon closer inspection it appears that the leaky marker has no sizer/unisizer at all (there is nothing with matching fine threads inside the reciever) while the other seems to have a sizer but it's stuck inside.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Liquid is BAD. I used/use a remote line so I could take the weight of the tank off my gun, and to act as an expansion chamber so that I could keep liquid out of the gun. My memory is not what it used to be, but if you can keep your HPA tank at 850 you should be okay. There should be a bottle of very fine oil that came with the gun, that oil is very special and necessary for the pneumatics.

Yes, the chip is to line up with the mold line it should be at a 12 o'clock position.

If you have a barrel with no threads for a unisizer, then you might have an after-marketer barrel. Did you get lucky and get on of the the sprint-runs of LAPCO goodness?

LordKyle has become the holder of ATS knowledge.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Can you snap a couple of photos of the marker? That'll help us figure out what's missing, if anything.

As Zenmic pointed out, liquid CO2 is bad news on these markers; avoid it at all costs. If you have a leak out the back, it's most likely coming out the common vent. Bad news is that basically 90% of all possible leaks will exit there ��
But if I were a betting man, I'd say it's the reg seal or the cycle assembly seals. I have a terrible connection there, but I'll post a couple of links to some videos I made for disassembly and troubleshooting. Also, let me dig up Gumby's link to the manual...

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Manual:
https://www.box.net/shared/dqgglm0bsx

My feedback thread
Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

is there anything specific you guys need to see?

so i don't have allen keys small enough to get the guide plates off properly, and i'd rather not risk stripping them with the wrong bit because i was impatient!

both of them leak now, one leaks around the air tank out the asa (the one with the notch in the reg screw) and the other leaks right out the silver reg screw. i can see that the one reg screw was messed with since it isnt lined up and i havent touched them. is there any guide to getting the reg back to the proper setting after it's been tampered with?

both barrels are the same, i guess i wasn't that lucky! i managed to get a sizer out of one of the receivers, it was in there pretty good. but there was only the one sizer. is there a source for a new unisizer? or would it be easier to find an old python compression kit?

and this is the oil that came with it

Last edited by Stoss55; 10-04-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

it isn't showing the images in the post for some reason, but here is the imgur album
https://imgur.com/a/BTVwj
Old 10-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

By the serial numbers, both are TS-1s. I cannot tell if they were retrofitted it not.

Check out this video, it'll cover a few points and how to tell if you're retro'd or not.

https://youtu.be/jDHOmdaKKlg

My feedback thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ATS