mcarterbrown.com  

ATS AT-85 AT-10 AT-6 AT-4

Old 01-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
This thread ties well in to the rATS project.
Could we sticky the rATS age so everyone can easily find it?

If we can get the chain at a reasonable price it would be great to be able to build mag from scratch ...
Could we bypass the entire mechanism and go spring feed? It would kind of defeat the advantage of this mag but it's better than no mag ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdave06 View Post
I think for most here, I'd use the term "collect" loosely. It's more like hoarding.
Get Your Splatmaster Figure 8 Replacement
My Feedback
XEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

The chain doesn't include the pins, so you'd need to make a jig and solder them yourself, but that seems trivial compared to the rest of "Let's revive a dead marker ".

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

The chain fed system, while being complicated, makes it for me. While the balls are in the magazine, they are under zero stress until they are fired from the chamber. Every spring system I have seen will eventually deform the paintballs. Back when paintballs were less brittle and actually .68 instead of all this underbore cheap junk, a spring pusher would be fine. The shell was hard enough to not deform under the slight pressure of a mag spring, but soft enough to break with 280 FPS.

I want to say the pins are either sonic welded, or laser welded onto the chain. I wonder if soldering will actually be strong enough? I ask in that I doubt many home workshops could afford a laser welder, or a sonic welder. Would the chain and pin be too fine a task for a flame based, TIG or even arc welder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEMON View Post
This thread ties well in to the rATS project.
Could we sticky the rATS age so everyone can easily find it?

If we can get the chain at a reasonable price it would be great to be able to build mag from scratch ...
Could we bypass the entire mechanism and go spring feed? It would kind of defeat the advantage of this mag but it's better than no mag ...
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I will have to play with it, but I imagine it could be soldered, although it may need a flame source instead of an iron. A cheap $20 iron is almost certainly not going to happen.

My feedback thread
Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Kyle, you have the chains? Exact dimensions as in the OEM mags? Where can I get some, I would like to try my hand at attaching pins to them.

I personally met "The Weltman" at Road Warriors part I in Alpine, CA. I even shook his hand. Awesome.

L I T O's feedback
L I T O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
To attach the pins, soldering with an iron will probably not work ...

Silver solder will be your best bet on the soldering side.

TIG would be my preferred way (I am a TIG guy from trade). You might have to reverse the polarity and go "old school" as modern inverter might not be able to handle the low current in reverse polarity.

Quote:
I think for most here, I'd use the term "collect" loosely. It's more like hoarding.
My Feedback
Old 01-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by L I T O View Post
Kyle, you have the chains? Exact dimensions as in the OEM mags? Where can I get some, I would like to try my hand at attaching pins to them.
I have not bought them, personally, due to the minimum order amount, but let me go dig into my archives and get the supplier.

Credit for the sourcing goes to "John Smith" over Facebook. He's the one who made the prototype ATS/DMAG springfed magazine as well.

My feedback thread
Old 01-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

I am not suggesting the little $20 irons that you can get at a Walmart. Maybe the more professional ones that can generate enough heat for say soldering copper pipes. Definitely would go with silver solder. With flame based welding, can you get a flame tip that pencil-thin narrow; same question for the TIG welders? I did not think you could get a TIG weld that small.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
The contact point for solder is on the small side. For flame welding (O-A torch) the chain link are too thin and will most likely turn to puddle ...
TIG will probably work if you set it up properly.

The big question is: what alloy is the chain made out of?

PS: laser or Sonic weld would probably be more consistent ...

Quote:
My Feedback

Last edited by XEMON; 01-23-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

I was thinking about brazing the pieces together, but it sounds like I do not have the equipment to laser/TIG weld anything. I have been slacking working on my M249/Ion box mag since 2015. I got the aluminum box mag frame brazed together but have not worked on it because I am a major procrastinator.

I personally met "The Weltman" at Road Warriors part I in Alpine, CA. I even shook his hand. Awesome.

L I T O's feedback
L I T O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ATS