mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

springs

Anyone know of a good place to get springs for semi? I tried Home Depot and a couple smaller hardware shops and no one has springs that work. Im having a hard time justifying $11 for Madmans...
anthrakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrakz View Post
Anyone know of a good place to get springs for semi? I tried Home Depot and a couple smaller hardware shops and no one has springs that work. Im having a hard time justifying $11 for Madmans...
It's $11, and you get an assortment of springs to choose from. What else do you need to justify?
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
What springs ya looken for? I have spring sets for Tippmanns and Spyders if ypu need some.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
It's $11, and you get an assortment of springs to choose from. What else do you need to justify?
For $11, you get 1 good semi build, maybe a second pump build with the light springs. Either way, you will need another $11 set if you're a slider shooter like me. It leaves with me a lot of unused heavy springs. I forgot where I read it, but someone was buying spring stock for $20, and getting at least 8 sets out of it with no waste. Springs, screws and orings are just about the only cocker items I can buy outside of the paintball market that doesn't have the paintball cost, so excuse me for trying to save some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
What springs ya looken for? I have spring sets for Tippmanns and Spyders if ypu need some.
Thanks, but I'm looking for cocker springs.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
For $11, you get 1 good semi build, maybe a second pump build with the light springs. Either way, you will need another $11 set if you're a slider shooter like me. It leaves with me a lot of unused heavy springs. I forgot where I read it, but someone was buying spring stock for $20, and getting at least 8 sets out of it with no waste. Springs, screws and orings are just about the only cocker items I can buy outside of the paintball market that doesn't have the paintball cost, so excuse me for trying to save some money.

Thanks, but I'm looking for cocker springs.
while you *could* wind your own springs, the equipment to do it properly is not less than $11. as an added bonus all of your springs will be the same color unless you want to buy a bunch of cans of spray paint.

Its a bit of an art form to make them in any way consistent spring to spring.

ground ends are not possible by hand.... at least if you want them to have any use by being square to the spring.

one route you could go is to buy phantom springs and figure out the equivalents ( mike sells them individually for $1 a piece). they are color coded differently than cocker springs. the mains are the same size but I believe the valve springs are a different size.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

for $11, just be one and done.
bracer028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:

Easy there tiger... Your post did not specify how many guns you planned to use the spring kit on. I figured you were looking for a kit to finish up a build you were working on, not respring two or more Cockers. That $11 a kit will add up quickly if that's the case.

As another poster pointed out, CCI offers Nelson springs for cheap, although you'll need to cut them down to work on a Cocker... and if you want slider springs, you're out of luck.

I personally used pen springs for my trigger return springs, I found you could locate them easily and they worked well.

You've run into the problem I faced several years ago with building Cockers - they're expensive to build, and that's why I don't use them anymore.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
while you *could* wind your own springs, the equipment to do it properly is not less than $11. as an added bonus all of your springs will be the same color unless you want to buy a bunch of cans of spray paint.

Its a bit of an art form to make them in any way consistent spring to spring.

ground ends are not possible by hand.... at least if you want them to have any use by being square to the spring.

one route you could go is to buy phantom springs and figure out the equivalents ( mike sells them individually for $1 a piece). they are color coded differently than cocker springs. the mains are the same size but I believe the valve springs are a different size.
Oh no, I wasn't looking for something as extreme as winding my own springs. More along the lines of a long spring that I could cut into usable sections. I was told to give Mcmaster Carr a look to see if they had anything useful in my quest.

Last edited by anthrakz; 09-03-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

You are going to spend more time, effort, and money trying to source your own springs and you may still end up with an inferior result.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

Autocockers are probably the most expensive gun that can be built from parts, like Jordan mentioned above, while springs are the cheapest upgrade that gives the most performance per dollar.

You're probably going to buy a lot of springs if you want to tune your guns properly. The entire gun runs on springs so they are very important. They dictate operating pressure, consistency (accuracy), efficiency, recoil, and BPS to name a few. So it's important to have multiple options when tuning your gun.

Madman springs are great for the hammer and valve, but their trigger springs are pretty soft. So soft that they can actually cut into your BPS. Luckily, Jordan's suggestion of using pen springs for trigger springs is spot on. Just try to use spring that have the most space between coils to prevent the spring from compressing too much when the trigger is pulled. You can probably get sway with using the Madman sear springs unless you're using a roller sear.

A few more options for you:
Maggot's spring kits (the post above)
Palmer's spring kits (1 internal spring set, 2 slide frame spring sets)
CCM springs (hammer and spring)
AKA springs
autocockerparts.com
Niche. I've never used their springs, but I imagine they are decent.
Shocktech trigger springs are great, their internal springs are horrible.
KAPP springs (the gold standard in my opinion, but hard to find)

Quote:
I was told to give Mcmaster Carr a look to see if they had anything useful in my quest.
Mcmaster Carr will charge you $11 for shipping alone, at least they always charged me that much when I bought nine tiny screws and three x-rings, all items that could have been sent with a single postal stamp.

And like maggot mentioned, your time is worth money too.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Autocockers