mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-25-2017, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Rebuildable Cup Seals?

All,

Just curious. Seems most of the time I see replacement cup seals, it's the entire stem assembly, not just the seal itself.

Aside from explicitly rebuildable ones like CCM, are any of these things actually rebuildable?

For instance, lots of the older ones (and many of the Palmer's style) have a stainless stem with a brass head and some sort of plastic sealing face.

Obviously that was built from three pieces.

So if that type fails, can it be disassembled and the plastic piece be replaced?

Thanks very kindly!

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Have you seen That Paintball Channel?
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
trophy husband

You can buy just the seals, but I'm not sure if they're one-size-fits-all. I seem to remember working on a marker a few years ago, and the Spyder cup seal wouldn't screw into the stem on the different marker. Like...the threads were too large or small.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Bacci and Ebay have some Black Magic seals. If you have a stem that matches, they do seem to work pretty well.

I have rebuilt an ICD cup seal and found it was a fairly stubborn process (with an ICD seal). The seal is pressed in and takes some effort and/or tooling. Once you have a good seal in there, they seem to last a very long time when you take care of them. I'm guessing that's why you find the whole stem for sale most of the time.

Matching the existing cup and stem is a trick when your mixing parts. I ended up making a little press block out of wood to fit in my bench vise as a press.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Thank you both!

Spider, with your wooden rig, how difficult is the pressing process?

Just trying to get some ideas for later down the road.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Have you seen That Paintball Channel?
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Thank you both!

Spider, with your wooden rig, how difficult is the pressing process?

Just trying to get some ideas for later down the road.
Once you got it all started and lined up, it pressed in easily. It is just hard to push on evenly without something that goes around the whole face. Of course you have to avoid putting a scratch or dent in the face as well. Depending on the actual seal, there is probably a cartridge case that you could drill and sand smooth to fit. That would let you see what you were doing better. I used a pair of small oak blocks with holes drilled in them. My little bench vise is pretty stout for the job.

If you had a partner monkey, you could use a large c-clamp. Otherwise, holding it all together while turning the screw gets pretty silly. It's possible by yourself, especially if you use your toes.

That's for seals that are like soft delrin. Softer seals are usually captured by the stem base over the cup. Those stems may be loctited on, but the seal goes in easier. Shocktech comes to mind.

I've had pretty good luck faking regulator seals and making whole delrin cups, but for friction fit cup seals, I've always ended up with a purpose made seal to go into that particular manufacture of cup and stem. When the hammer knocks the poppet open, it really pulls on that cup seal.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Autocockers