mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ultralite Cocker Build - Advice Welcomed

Hi All,

Finally working on my first from the ground up autococker build. I've had an 04 prostock for about 15 years but really wanted to make this my own. Aiming for a nice stormtrooper White w/ Gloss Black look. Thought I'd share my progress and I have a few questions, hoping I can get some advice.

Starting Body Kit: Dye Ultralite Dust Silver/White. Good shape, but some descent wear.

Came a bit dirty, but with some brake cleaner and 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water it cleaned up pretty decent.

Cleaned up nice, and added a Sconi Feedneck (Gloss Black CCM are hard to come across), CP detent and eye hole cover.

Installed an ID Lower tube kit: 9/16s valve, medium weight main spring.

Question: Figured I should start with the mainspring, but I love the buttery trigger pull I have with my Sniper which is using a lighter main spring. Will I get a significantly higher ROF with stiffer mainsprings?

Pneumatics are ID Ram, Sledgehammer LPR, and what I assume is a Dye Ultralite 3-way (came with body kit). Ram is New, others are rebuilt. May eventually move to other ID or Shocktech parts as I come across them purely for looks, but assuming these air up and cycle well I'll keep em.

ID HPR and a Shocktech Beaver tail added.

Question: Is there a spacer piece I can purchase to put in the backblock that keeps the backblock centered over the cocking rod? I have seen this on other autocockers in pictures (below) but don't know what this is called or where to find it.

Otherwise, waiting on a frame and ASA to come in so I can test out this bad boy. Will post as it's completed!

Update 2/10/20: ANS Trigger frame and Hybrid ASA came in the mail today! Have it all together now:

Update 2/19/20: Upgraded 3-way and LPR to shocktech bomb and FGP. Immense improvement

Timing is feeling pretty good, though I am getting some dropping of the hammer on the closing cycle of the pneumatics, I think I've got that fixed with some hammer lug adjustment.

Timing Vid

Last edited by TS0716; 02-19-2020 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Update
TS0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

There's no bushing to keep the cocking rod centered, what you're seeing there is just a plastic washer to keep the cocking rod from marring the finish on the back block. At least, I have never heard of such a bushing ever.

My concern with that bushing would be that the back block needs to have some float to self-align everything. Otherwise if it's held in one position you can get weird wear patters on the bolt and the ram will have side loading on the shaft wearing out the seals.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
There's no bushing to keep the cocking rod centered, what you're seeing there is just a plastic washer to keep the cocking rod from marring the finish on the back block. At least, I have never heard of such a bushing ever.

My concern with that bushing would be that the back block needs to have some float to self-align everything. Otherwise if it's held in one position you can get weird wear patters on the bolt and the ram will have side loading on the shaft wearing out the seals.
Ah good point! I was thinking I would need a bushing in order to keep the backblock centered to prevent uneven wear. Letting the backblock float to accommodate makes sense. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wish I knew how to post pics here. I just finished a dye mini with all Shocktech parts. I have never used Shocktech parts because I live very close to Palmer’s pursuit ship. I also used the gunfighter for the first time. I love it all! So happy with the build. I just wish I know how to view pictures. I put a tornado valve in it. It was the first build that shot hit in the tuning process. I was shooting 315 after the rough timing was done. I got it down to 280 and fine tuned it. It is the best cocker I have ever built. It was gonna be a sore parts build but it have become one of the best projects I have ever done! I am trying to find a dye reflex body to build in a similar manor. Can someone tell me how to post a pic please?
MaximusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusG View Post
I wish I knew how to post pics here. I just finished a dye mini with all Shocktech parts. I have never used Shocktech parts because I live very close to Palmerís pursuit ship. I also used the gunfighter for the first time. I love it all! So happy with the build. I just wish I know how to view pictures. I put a tornado valve in it. It was the first build that shot hit in the tuning process. I was shooting 315 after the rough timing was done. I got it down to 280 and fine tuned it. It is the best cocker I have ever built. It was gonna be a sore parts build but it have become one of the best projects I have ever done! I am trying to find a dye reflex body to build in a similar manor. Can someone tell me how to post a pic please?
I am wondering if I should upgrade to a Shocktech Bomb 3-way and Shocktech LPR at some point, though I don't know if they will provide any real mechanical improvements?

I'd love to hear more about the gunfighter frame!

To post pics, first upload them to a site, I'd recommend imgur imgur.com

Then, you copy the link for the pic and post them within brackets like this but without the spaces [im g]https://i.imgur.com/OZWD36W.jpg[/im g]
Old 02-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

The bomb 3 way would probably be an advantage to shortening the trigger pull, but the Inception one is actually much easier to work with/adjust so I recommend that one.

As far as the LPR it doesn't really matter. For the sake of keeping that gun looking original I would stick to the Dye one. The dye front end is pretty iconic looking so try and keep it as original as possible.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get a bomb 2 three way, super fast. And super nice looking. I didn’t want to mention that I am not a fan of the dye pneumatics only because of their reputation. I have no experience with them but I do have a dye 3 way that was originally intended to use on the build. I didn’t use it because I had a full set of shock tech pneumatics. I call her my dyetech cocker.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Old 02-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusG View Post
Wow thatís gorgeous! Definitely looking into shocktech parts but Iíll see how this performs. I do like a short poppy trigger pull. Do you think the volumizer makes a significant performance difference?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes I try to put volumizers on my mini cockers. Sometimes they minicockers have shoot down issues.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Autocockers