mcarterbrown.com  

Avratech Home of the Retro 7

Old 05-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
premature auto trigger?

So I was playing my R7 bolt action this weekend and after a few games it started to prematurely fire on me as I was closing the bolt. Only at the end where I rotate the bolt knob down.

Odd. Thought maybe it was my 12g getting low. Did the same thing with a fresh one.

Took the gun apart and inspected the bolt which I noticed had some extra oil on it. So I cleaned it, swabbed the snub and tried again. It worked properly for a while but then it started up again after a few games.

looking at the bolt again there are the smallest wear marks at the points where the sear grabs the bolt.

It seems to come and go, but it sure makes the game strange when I don't know if/when the gun will fire.

I was thinking of swapping the bolt out for a phantom bolt. Anyone tried that?

Anyone got any ideas?
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
The bolts are different. I tried when I had one and it didn't work.

FOR SALE
BLachance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Crap

I knew the bolt face was different / longer but I was hoping the rest would still work.

Thanks for the photos.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
I don't recall but can you adjust the firing point on the trigger somewhere.

I'm sure there is a reason but I don't know why Josh didn't use a Phantom bolt.

FOR SALE
BLachance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Rather than wear, could it be that there is enough "kink" and the sear is set so close to firing that rolling the bolt down a bit forces the sear to roll off the edge? Might not even need to be kinked. Any unbalanced traction on the sear could push it off, if it is close enough.

Does an R7 shave your knuckles like a Nelson?

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Rather than wear, could it be that there is enough "kink" and the sear is set so close to firing that rolling the bolt down a bit forces the sear to roll off the edge? Might not even need to be kinked. Any unbalanced traction on the sear could push it off, if it is close enough.
Thought of that. It may be the case because when I tried to push the bolt as far forward as possible without rotating it, it didn't fire. Only when I rotated it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Does an R7 shave your knuckles like a Nelson?
Lol. Nope!

But the bolt action pull is a bit rough. I have noticed a fair bit of anno wear in the breach which might need to wear out further to get smooth again
Old 05-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I have the parts and should just test it myself but I am being lazy lol. Has anyone put a phantom body on the R7 lowers? I doubt the front frame screw lines up eh?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

was never able to pinpoint this bug specifically, it's very rare in initial testing (and non existent in my personal bolt-action #22) but my solution was to switch to another CCI hammer. my bolts are identical rear dimensions and geometry to the phantom bolt, the variations exist in the CCI hammers specifically, and it usually has to do with either the sear itself, or a dent in the anti-kink lip of the hammer. have a close look at both and see if you notice anything that might be a factor.

also another possible cause is wear on the catching face of the bolt, from interaction with a sharp-edged sear in sustained bolt action operation. if the sear wears the bolt enough it can produce a raised edge which may be sufficient to prematurely release the hammer, solution would be to take a needle file to the catch face, and to any sharp edge on the sear causing it.

possible quick fix: flip the bolt over. by that I mean, take it out and screw the bolt knob into the opposing 10-32 hole and see if the other side of the bolts catch face doesn't have the issue (due to potentially less wear)

hope that helps!

edit: in reply to phantom body on Retro: not compatible. however Retro 7 frame is totally compatible with true-nelson parts, like 007, Line SI, etc.

as to why the Retro bolt is longer by a tad: has to do with the breech design which chambers rounds directly into the barrel. the only way to accomplish that while maintaining the Nelson compatibility and phantom feed compatibility.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 05-07-2015 at 07:21 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Ok.

Thanks ApoC, I actually have an extra phantom hammer kicking around so I will give that a shot.

I like this format WAY to much to let this gun go down
Old 05-08-2015, 06:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
So the bolt does have some wear on both sides. I used a file to try and smooth it out. Also tried to smooth out the sear catch.

Tried a new hammer, the sear was a little different, but that hammer didn't fix the issue anyway. Put the old one back and flipped the bolt to the least worn side.

Still seems to be hit and miss but It seems a bit better now.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Avratech