mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Also - Do you guys sell your brews or have them at tastings or is it simply for your own pleasure?
Little from column A, little from column B, little from column C...

I'll get back to you when I have more time.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Now for the newb questions.

Can someone explain to me exactly what I am eliminating by using an extract kit?
You're eliminating the mashing, lautering and sparging processes and the formulation guesswork.

Quote:
And by using a kit, it's technically someone else's recipe, no?
Only if you use as directed

Quote:
I'd like to eventually brew my own beer, my own design and flavor... Not just add water. (though I see water is actually what makes a huge difference among different types of brew)
Get some experience, read malt/grain and hops descriptions and read through recipes, that way you'll become familiar with what malt/hops tastes/smells like what and in what proportion it's usually added for said taste/smell.

As far as water; if you want something basic, get a sediment and activated charcoal filter, that'll eliminate the chlorine and other smelly/coloring compounds and leave the ion profile alone. If you want total control, you can get an RO filter and the salts you want, that way you can adjust the ion content to your liking (this is bordering on extreme levels of anal retention IMO).

As for the "Also - Do you guys sell your brews or have them at tastings or is it simply for your own pleasure? " part:

Let me tell you a brief story of 10 years. I started out as a fun project between a couple of friends and I, they lived in london for a while and after coming back, they missed the taste of London, so they asked me if I could brew (I was studying chemical engineering then); I told them "sure, humanity's been doing it for over 5,000 years, how hard could it be?" and we got a beginer's kit (2 buckets, a hydrometer, capper, racking cane, hose and bottle filler wand. Made 3 batches before we decided kegging was more convenient, so we bought 2 cornelius kegs and a dedicated refrigerator with a thermostat from an American acquaintance that was living in Antigua (city, not Island) at the time, but was going to leave in a month or 2 due to work. Along with that deal we got about 40 pounds of assorted specialty malts and a couple of pounds of assorted hops, mostly American strains.

That got me started on kegging and taking them to parties with my friends, which led to their other friends asking "how much for a keg?", that picked up a bit and led to a guy with a bar asking for a keg to test out at their bar; it was gone in a week, so he ordered another one... but never paid for it, so... that ended that; until a guy from NY contacted me through the forum I linked and asked if I was interested in supplying his bar (still here in Guatemala). I said yes and supplied his bar 2 batches of 2 kegs, until he became disillusioned with it (partly because of bad location, which I'd advised him not to take) and sold it to a local who continued the business and asked for 3 batches of 1 keg each, beer was flying out of the kegs and would usually last no more than a weekend (even at 7% ABV) so I couldn't keep up with demand and had to give it up when he got beer from a couple of local micro's that are starting up (one of which has my CV and had me do a 2 month internship, I'm currently pending a position there until sales ramp up... and I'm not holding my breath for it).

Last edited by timekeeper; 03-17-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Grapefruit is where it's at son

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Daddy

I just setup my first two gallon fermenter and got the first batch of pale ale going.

Too lazy to upload picture right now, but there is a bad one in my instagram (obi_gyn_kenobi) if interested.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

Last edited by Riot; 02-17-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Daddy

Update:

My original pilsner is bottled and awaiting tasting in a closet.

Meanwhile, I hooked up with a few friends and began brewing with grains.
So far we have an all wheat IPA (it was 14lbs of wheat, seriously),
I've dubbed it "Kill A Hipster IPA."
It is in bottles now, hoping to try in roughly a fortnight.
A week behind Kill A Hipster is our American Pale Ale. This one just went from the bucket to the fermenter and we will be bottling it in roughly two weeks as well.

I have a few friends that opened a mobile coffee shop and I'm looking into hooking up with them and creating a coffee stout, but with that being more unique, id like to come up with my own recipe, rather than just clone something and due to inexperience, I'm going to do more research first.

#_____brewing

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Update:

My original pilsner is bottled and awaiting tasting in a closet.

Meanwhile, I hooked up with a few friends and began brewing with grains.
So far we have an all wheat IPA (it was 14lbs of wheat, seriously),
I've dubbed it "Kill A Hipster IPA."It is in bottles now, hoping to try in roughly a fortnight.
Any trouble with the mash? wheat tends to get sticky if you don't do an extended protein rest (and even then...).

Quote:
A week behind Kill A Hipster is our American Pale Ale. This one just went from the bucket to the fermenter and we will be bottling it in roughly two weeks as well.

I have a few friends that opened a mobile coffee shop and I'm looking into hooking up with them and creating a coffee stout, but with that being more unique, id like to come up with my own recipe, rather than just clone something and due to inexperience, I'm going to do more research first.

#_____brewing
I like to sub the roasted barley in the grist with a nice aromatic coffee (light roast shows more of the coffee's character, darker roast gets you more burnt character), good thing I live in a good place for this.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Daddy

Nah, I should have mentioned we used rice hulls with the wheat to avoid it gumming up.. I believe it was less than a pound and has no affect on taste.

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
Old 03-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

The preferred method, sounds like you're well on your way.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

hijacking the thread a bit I've been considering trying my hand at some beer. I've made a few batches of various meads (mostly pretty decent, 1 bad choice on base honey).

Currently I'm in a full imperial stout kick in terms of what I'm drinking. I haven't really looked up any recipes but would this be a bad/terrible idea for a first beer? Mead is a very simple brewing process but beer sounds much more involved and I'd rather have a good pilsner at the end of the day rather than a ton of expended effort on a botched IS.

Any recipes you guys have tried and recommend? I'd love to be able to make a clone of the Stone RIS from last year (I don't see any locally this year).
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've brewed a couple imperial stouts.
Like any high gravity brew, you need patience. It will take at least 3 months from start to finish before the off flavors will start to mild. 4-5 months is ideal.

Also, its an expensive bill of malt, but avoid the temptation to substitute some with cheap corn/cane/rice sugars. The result is unpleasant, and thin. You also need to be careful with your choice of yeast, and the temp where you will store, and your ability to rack.

In short, its a more complicated beer. But not impossible for your first beer brew. Its not lagered, can use all extract, doesnt not use oddball yeast, or special brewing techniques. You can get away with hop extract since any hop aroma or taste is not appropriate for the style. You just want bitterness to counter the heavy sweetness.

Anyway, the only quirk is it will take a while. You might want to start with a simply ale that will only take a couple weeks to be ready. That way, you will have something to enjoy while waiting forever for the imperial.

When I brewed alot, I had a 3 week cycle- primary, secondary, conditioning. So there was always something "in the pipe", so the length of time was never an issue.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats