mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
LARP’er SLAYER

Brewing Beer

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it feels close enough.

Does anyone brew their own beer at home?

I just purchased a kit to start.. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I'm also excited to get going.

Any advice?
Any books you'd recommend?
Forums?

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Been known to brew my own. What kind of kit?
Ale's have easier fermenting temps to maintain that lagers. Don't screw with the yeast and leave it alone to do its job!
I bought a clean plastic garbage can which I sit my fermenter in. This helps contain the mess if you have blow by on your air lock. Then except for checking its temp I don't touch anything to it for 10 days to 2 weeks. Check for proper gravity then prime and bottle.
Did a 7% beer that took about 18 months to settle down so its not a fast process. Heffeweisens are usually drinkable in about 3 weeks total time.
oldschool45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
LARP’er SLAYER

The kit is done by Demon Brewing.
Upon the little research I've done thus far, I'm just going to be a extracts. For now anyhow.
Definitely not prepared for more than that.

I have a book on brewing as well, plus I joined a forum or two.
Truth is, I'm kind of winging it.

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Just like paintball, buy a beginner kit and just try it, it should come with everything to get going doing extract, which will taste good.

Go to a brew shop or one of these web sites, don't buy a kit at Walmart or bed bath and beyond.

Other than that all you need is a pot you can boil 3 or 4 gallons of water in.

A couple good web sites (I've ordered from both no issues):
Build Your Own Homebrew Starter Kit

Birdman Brewing Company - Homebrew and Draft Beer Equipment

My Local Shop (I've never mail ordered from here, but walk in buisness is good):

Beer/Winemaking Kit

Forum:
HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

This is handy phone app / web site:
Homebrew Beer Recipes, Calculators, and Forum - Brewer's Friend

Podcast:
Basic Brewing Radio

Moses688_Feedback
Moses688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it feels close enough.

Does anyone brew their own beer at home?
Been doing it for 10 years, recently took up craft spirits as well.

Quote:
I just purchased a kit to start.. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I'm also excited to get going.

Any advice?
Sanitize everything properly and don't rush your beer, it'll be ready when it's ready and not a moment sooner. That said, as oldschool45 said, heavier beers will usually take longer than lighter beers and wheat beers will usually taste better "green" (after 2-3 weeks for anything under 6% ABV).

Quote:
Any books you'd recommend?
Welcome to How to Brew - How to Brew
Braukaiser.com - German brewing and more

I know the later is not really a book, but it's of great help if you want to get deeper into the biochemistry of beer and making proper german lagers.

Quote:
Forums?
Home Brew Talk - Home Brew forums, news, articles, reviews, blogs, pho

Is the only one I've ever gone to, I haven't felt the need to go to any other; they'll take you step by step if you need to (As will I, if you'd like to chat over PM's during my free time).

Quote:
I have a book on brewing as well, plus I joined a forum or two.
Truth is, I'm kind of winging it.
You have more than I did when I started, you'll be good.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I thought you were looking for a starter kit when I first looked at your post.

Yeah man, just brew whatever kit you got.

Set aside 5 hrs, it takes a while.

Lay out all your stuff and read through your procedure and put your hands on all the ingredients as you read, this way your not missing a yeast pack, or a specialty grain.

But for the most part beginner kits are easy and the beer comes out great.

Moses688_Feedback
Old 02-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses688 View Post
Set aside 5 hrs, it takes a while.
For extract only brews it'll usually take less, somewhere around 3 hours (depends on how you're chilling your wort); but otherwise what Moses said.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
LARP’er SLAYER

This is the kit I purchased. It should arrive Monday.

https://www.brewdemon.com/craft-beer-kit-plus.html

Thanks for all the tips and tricks, guys.
Looking forward to getting this going.

Now for the newb questions.

Can someone explain to me exactly what I am eliminating by using an extract kit?

And by using a kit, it's technically someone else's recipe, no?

I'd like to eventually brew my own beer, my own design and flavor... Not just add water. (though I see water is actually what makes a huge difference among different types of brew)

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Your eliminating 2 hours of soaking and running hot water through 10 to 15 lb of grain based on recipe and a 5 gal batch size.

With extract and steeping specialty grains you have pretty good control of the flavor of your beer, if you want to get the last few "percent control" you go all grain.

Believe it or not the yeast strain an fermentation temperature is probably the biggest contributor to the overall end flavor.

For your first couple batches I'd use Poland spring water, because you are going to be adding cold water to your boil at the end to get the temp down, you don't want something in your well or municipal water supply fouling everything up. If your tap water tastes good, just use bottled water for what you don't boil. If your tap water tastes like clor

If you ever move to all grain you can just filter tap water since it's all boiled.

For beginner kits don't worry about water PH or any of that stuff.

Yes your making someone else's recipe, but do a few get comfortable with the process and equipment, you can get more complicated recipes like a big dry hopped IPA with several boil additions. Once you do that then start thinking about your own recipe.

I mean you can do what you want to, but you probably don't know what you like yet, so the pre packaged recipes are a good way to get a handle on what things taste like.

EDIT: I don't want to discourage you, but the 2 gal kit is probably going to lead you to spend alot of money on higher level stuff for your second batch. The good news is this is a boil kit, so you will go through the whole process.

Moses688_Feedback

Last edited by Moses688; 02-09-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Looked at the link to your kit.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
LARP’er SLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses688 View Post
Your eliminating 2 hours of soaking and running hot water through 10 to 15 lb of grain based on recipe and a 5 gal batch size.

With extract and steeping specialty grains you have pretty good control of the flavor of your beer, if you want to get the last few "percent control" you go all grain.

Believe it or not the yeast strain an fermentation temperature is probably the biggest contributor to the overall end flavor.

For your first couple batches I'd use Poland spring water, because you are going to be adding cold water to your boil at the end to get the temp down, you don't want something in your well or municipal water supply fouling everything up. If your tap water tastes good, just use bottled water for what you don't boil. If your tap water tastes like clor

If you ever move to all grain you can just filter tap water since it's all boiled.

For beginner kits don't worry about water PH or any of that stuff.

Yes your making someone else's recipe, but do a few get comfortable with the process and equipment, you can get more complicated recipes like a big dry hopped IPA with several boil additions. Once you do that then start thinking about your own recipe.

I mean you can do what you want to, but you probably don't know what you like yet, so the pre packaged recipes are a good way to get a handle on what things taste like.

EDIT: I don't want to discourage you, but the 2 gal kit is probably going to lead you to spend alot of money on higher level stuff for your second batch. The good news is this is a boil kit, so you will go through the whole process.

I know someone who has this kit and just bought an additional fermentation for second flavors.
I figure this is a good start, even if it will lead me to spend more in the long run. The alternative is spend far more than $90 and maybe lose interest in it completely.

Thanks for all of the input, I'll update when I make another move, but please keep the information coming!

Also - Do you guys sell your brews or have them at tastings or is it simply for your own pleasure?

Thanks,

Chris

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats