mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 03-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfOne View Post
Take a look at the Boker urban trapper
That looks awesome. Just watched a video on it.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScottishRocker View Post
Gotta go French. Opinel not the most durable, but can get em pretty sharp. Nice wooden handles, lockable blade, and cheap as chips.
These look perfect. Seem like a good value. Do they lock open?

Not that I have the money to spend, but is there other French ones along the same line that are higher end? Something to aspire to

Last edited by theangrydragon; 03-13-2016 at 11:37 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not Addicted

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
That looks awesome. Just watched a video on it.
They're great knives. I've got one and it's probably my favourite knife right now

My feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ArmyOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
One issue I see is that everyone is using material that's hard to sharpen. For utility stuff you don't need the sharpest edge, just the strongest and longest lasting. For food the sharper the better, even sacrificing strength.

I'm thinking forged carbon steel that's hardened? Holds a good edge, but still can easily be sharpened. Something from decent steel and processes so US, Japanese, or European? Works for kitchen knives and before modern industrial processes it was how old school pocket knives were made.

Maybe custom is the way to go.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 03-14-2016 at 01:20 AM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post

Not that I have the money to spend, but is there other French ones along the same line that are higher end? Something to aspire to
Opinels do lock with a twist of the collar. I don't own one, but seem to remember playing with one as a kid. They have a great reputation in knife circles. They are not "tactical" at all though. I think this is a plus. I do hope to own one. Just haven't gotten around to it.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a "culinary" pocket knife, but it seems to me any old folder would do. If you wash a carbon steel knife, just dry it before you put it away.

If you want something like a "high end Opinel," you may want to have a look at these. Laguiole.com : Laguiole - Laguiole knives, Chateau Laguiole corkscrews, Laguiole cutlery
It's another knife with a long history and good reputation.

When I first read your post though, something more like a Barlow came to mind: Search Results | AGRussell.com

When i hit the first page of the website above, this jumped out at me: A.G. Russell Fruit Sampler | AGRussell.com
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScottishRocker View Post
Gotta go French. Opinel not the most durable, but can get em pretty sharp. Nice wooden handles, lockable blade, and cheap as chips.
OldGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Uh that's pretty much the original use of the pocket knife this tactical/self-defense/prepper knife crap is a more modern fad and in my opinion 100% designed to sell junk to the gullible. I've got a nice French pocket knife this one (without the corkscrew). It is a quality made piece and holds a nice sharp edge and most importantly I don't feel like a tactifool with it in my pocket.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Checked out their page, they look like they have some good options, especially the model 110. A few of their folders have the profile of a pairing knife that's nice for maneuverability.
I've got the 110. Best knife I've ever owned. Holds an edge forever, very well-made, durable and rugged. Just an all-around great knife to have.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Yes, they lock open. The blade is sharpened in a way that makes it very easy to sharpen even for a noob. You can get ss or carbon. I have only SS and it's kept its edge well. I sharpened mine with gradients of wet/dry sandpaper and I got the blade just about shave ready lol. It's kept its edge quite nicely as well. Opinel is kinda the all around French farmer's knife. You know they were using it to slice fruit, cheese, meat, whatnot. Plus they're just classy, fit in the hand nice, priced nicely, and are cool to look at. I bout two just to have two haha. I'd recommend the No.8 size as it's the perfect hand length with a nice grip. I also have the No. 6. A bit smaller, but still fits in the hand nicely. I've been recently tempted by their thinner blades, but can't decide if I like that fillet look or not.

Free face painting.....bring yo kidz.......
AngryScottishRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I use all my knives from " Snacking " some slice way better then others. So far the best slicing one i own is a Zero Tolerance ZT0450.

The difference between a good slicer and a good hacker is the geometry of the blade,The Hollow Grind blade will provide you with the best slicing ability available where as a Saber Grind (found on a lot of large fixed blades ) are better for chopping and hacking and not what your looking for.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats