mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
Uh that's pretty much the original use of the pocket knife this tactical/self-defense/prepper knife crap is a more modern fad and in my opinion 100% designed to sell junk to the gullible.
See, that's what I thought, but never see anything other then the tacticool ****. Basically overpriced Chinese blades with a toxic firearms coating that gets scraped off over time. Usually some hardened steel that's made to take an edge once and be thrown away because today's modern man never learned to be a man and sharpen a knife.

I mean if you want a tool that does everything but nothing well you can't beat a Leatherman. I see all these pocket knives that try to have multiple uses for a single blade.

If you need something for camping get a survival knife. If you need something for self defense carry a gun (what's that old cliché?). If you need a fishing or hunting knife get one of those.

These have definitely been some good recommendations. I would agree, a "culinary knife" is a regular pocket knife, but before seeing this thread I was convinced nobody made them anymore.
theangrydragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
aka bromanderdudeguy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I use a medium sized opinel for this purpose. It gets packed in my picnic bag.
They are inexpensive and get very sharp easily. They are not easy to clean, but for cheese, fruit, and salami etc they are grand.

Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Another vote for Opinel for your needs. It's basically a folding version of a French peasant's knife, and as such will do anything on your list perfectly well. And you really can't beat the price. Lots of places carry them; if you don't have one locally, I've ordered from DLT Trading before and been satisfied with their service: https://www.dlttrading.com/brands/Opinel.html

Mine is a carbon steel model, and I will say that I've never been able to get any other knife as sharp. Holds its edge like a dream, too, as long as you don't do something silly like try to cut cardboard with it or the like. However, if you're planning for its primary use to be food prep, you might want to consider the stainless blade. It won't take quite as nice an edge, but lots of foods, especially fruits, are acidic, and react poorly with carbon-steel blades. It's not a problem if you clean it promptly (many of the best kichen knives are carbon steel), but if you're not washing it pretty much immediately after cutting, you'll end up with pitting and discoloration.

Of course, edge maintenance and technique are more important than design, so pick one you can maintain easily, and then use it! I've cooked entire large meals with a Bark River "Gunny Hunter" (medium-sized hunting/woodcraft knife with a very heavy blade); not what I would have chosen if I'd known I was going to be doing serious cooking, but it was what I had and served admirably. It's my EDC unless I'm going into Chicago, and so I know I can keep it sharp enough to do the job and am pretty comfortable using it.

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.

Last edited by Arsenal; 03-14-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
Sounds like you need a hobo knofe. Fork, knofe, and apoon in one. Seperates for use. Frost and a few others make them

Support your local fields. The game you save may be your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...eedback-3.html
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
When my wife's away she comes home to a sink full of knives. "What the ****, do you just run around the kitchen stabbing at food?"

If I could get away with it I would only eat with a knife.

I'm pretty set on this Opinel. I'm thinking the no8 or no10? Anyone try the slim version?
theangrydragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I'd use a buck 110 for just a single knife. You will like it. It's a total classic.

or basically any knife. Swiss army knives are small and cheap and high quality and easy to carry and super versatile. Has basically everything you can reasonably carry at once except pliers. I like the tinker, replaces the cork screw with a nice phillips.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]

Last edited by Cunha; 03-16-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

EnZO Birk 75 Folding 2-7/8" Plain D2 Blade, Curly Birch Handle - KnifeCenter - BRI2502

I like this as an option for something that looks a bit classier than some of the current EDC type knives.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

For overall utility with kitchen duty as one of the duties I like my Buck 500 "Duke" [Model #0500RWS-B] or whatever they called it in the late 80's. I've had the same one for getting close to 30 years. Stainless with Rosewood handles tough, sharpens easily, and a good size without being too big. This is on my belt whenever camping as a general utility knife.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
EnZO Birk 75 Folding 2-7/8" Plain D2 Blade, Curly Birch Handle - KnifeCenter - BRI2502

I like this as an option for something that looks a bit classier than some of the current EDC type knives.
Ooh, that looks pretty nice, I like. Keep in mind it's D2 tool steel (which is a great steel for knives, incidentally), not stainless, so what I said above about carbon steel blades and food still applies.

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post
Is there such a thing as a nice pocket knife for snacking? Something that looks classy, but you can wash without damaging? Preferably without a toxic firearms coating that scrapes off in your snack?

Something that can slice through a full sized salami or other aged/dried sausage/meat, but is still easily pocketable? Also something sharp and agile enough to pair fruits and veggies?

I'd imagine it would be like a cross between a folding hunting knife and a pairing knife.

Any ideas? I wanna start bringing meats, cheeses, fruits and veggies to work and I don't want to waste time cutting everything up before I leave in the morning.

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product...irwaArK78P8HAQ

Honestly? I use a standard knife. It works fine. But you should look into a Swiss Army knife maybe? The bigger ones (no locking blade sucks though), or maybe at your local Walmart store with camping supplies.

There is something called a case hobo knife:

But they are pricey.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA05...nife-6354hb-ss
stonewall50 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats