mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 03-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
culinary pocket knife? does such a thing exist?

Is there such a thing as a nice pocket knife for snacking? Something that looks classy, but you can wash without damaging? Preferably without a toxic firearms coating that scrapes off in your snack?

Something that can slice through a full sized salami or other aged/dried sausage/meat, but is still easily pocketable? Also something sharp and agile enough to pair fruits and veggies?

I'd imagine it would be like a cross between a folding hunting knife and a pairing knife.

Any ideas? I wanna start bringing meats, cheeses, fruits and veggies to work and I don't want to waste time cutting everything up before I leave in the morning.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 03-13-2016 at 10:17 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post
Is there such a thing as a nice pocket knife for snacking? Something that looks classy, but you can wash without damaging? Preferably without a toxic firearms coating that scrapes off in your snack?

Something that can slice through a full sized salami or other aged/dried sausage/meat, but is still easily pocketable? Also something sharp and agile enough to pair fruits and veggies?

I'd imagine it would be like a cross between a folding hunting knife and a pairing knife.

Any ideas? I wanna start bringing meats, cheeses, fruits and veggies to work and I don't want to waste time cutting everything up before I leave in the morning.
yes there is but you have find blade smith that does culinary knife making. but will not be cheap thou. there are blade smith that specialize in make culinary knifes and kitchen knifes. just have search on inter-net and find someone with high rep. they had about 4 to 6 guys on forge in fire who are culinary and kitchen knife makers.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
yes there is but you have find blade smith that does culinary knife making. but will not be cheap thou. there are blade smith that specialize in make culinary knifes and kitchen knifes. just have search on inter-net and find someone with high rep. they had about 4 to 6 guys on forge in fire who are culinary and kitchen knife makers.
This. About five years ago my dad retired a set of old Japanese stainless kitchen knives. We wanted something we could take hunting that could cut just the sort of thing you're after. We took the blades to a local smith, he cut and worked them into a set of four and six inch folding knives built on Gerber frames.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
For Your Health

PPS Fan
Whats wrong with the Buck model 120?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
Did you create an account on here JUST to talk about your fascination with Britney Spears, or do you play paintball on the side as well?
Wabaanimkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
The buck is out because it needs to be a folding knife.

Wusthoff made one briefly, but discontinued it. No idea on the quality. Their forged stuff is still good, but it's not worth paying Wusthoff prices for their stamped blades.

Custom might be outta my price range, but it might be the only option from what you guys are saying.

Pocket knives are popular again and everyone claims to be a "foodie" thanks to Yelp going to their head. I don't see why this isn't a mainstream thing. What, people only eat charcuterie when its cut up for them on some fancy tray?

Last edited by theangrydragon; 03-13-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
For Your Health

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post
The buck is out because it needs to be a folding knife.

Wusthoff made one briefly, but discontinued it. No idea on the quality. Their forged stuff is still good, but it's not worth paying Wusthoff prices for their stamped blades.

Custom might be outta my price range, but it might be the only option from what you guys are saying.
Buck makes folding knives. Also, check out the spyderco endura 4. It's got a flat grind, is easy to clean, and it looks good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
Did you create an account on here JUST to talk about your fascination with Britney Spears, or do you play paintball on the side as well?
Wabaanimkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gotta go French. Opinel not the most durable, but can get em pretty sharp. Nice wooden handles, lockable blade, and cheap as chips.

Free face painting.....bring yo kidz.......
AngryScottishRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Addicted

CCM Fan
Take a look at the Boker urban trapper

My feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ArmyOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabaanimkii View Post
Buck makes folding knives. Also, check out the spyderco endura 4. It's got a flat grind, is easy to clean, and it looks good too.
Checked out their page, they look like they have some good options, especially the model 110. A few of their folders have the profile of a pairing knife that's nice for maneuverability.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 03-13-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Victorinox Cheese knife

Last edited by moonweasel; 03-15-2016 at 01:45 AM.
moonweasel is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats